Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my bike with a new drive train and trying to do it a little at a time. Can i upgrade my shifters with a x.9 and rear derailer witha x.7 with a 8sp cassette? Do i have to change everything to 9 speed all at once.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
droopy00 said:
I am upgrading my bike with a new drive train and trying to do it a little at a time. Can i upgrade my shifters with a x.9 and rear derailer witha x.7 with a 8sp cassette? Do i have to change everything to 9 speed all at once.
You will need a 9-speed cassette

·
Registered
536 Posts
droopy00 said:
8 and 9 speed use different shift spacing (as 9 speed fits an extra cog in the same space). You have to change the shifters, chain and cassette at the same time, and likely the rear derailleur unless you by some miracle have a 1:1 SRAM 8-speed shifter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.