Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 888r is just sucking big time right on high speed bumps. My hands rattle, as the fork feels like its skidding over bumps, not soaking them up. I have to fight the bike to keep it under control. It makes me not want to ride it. I was at Whistler all weekend...as you know there are many high speed section, that contain small rocks....braking bumps....and i was hating life. I am 6"4, 210lbs, and have the preload on the 3rd clip setting down. I have played with rebound and compression settings with no luck....Its purely brutal on my hands....Could it be an oil level issue? Preload? Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
netguy said:
My 888r is just sucking big time right on high speed bumps. My hands rattle, as the fork feels like its skidding over bumps, not soaking them up. I have to fight the bike to keep it under control. It makes me not want to ride it. I was at Whistler all weekend...as you know there are many high speed section, that contain small rocks....braking bumps....and i was hating life. I am 6"4, 210lbs, and have the preload on the 3rd clip setting down. I have played with rebound and compression settings with no luck....Its purely brutal on my hands....Could it be an oil level issue? Preload? Any advise would be appreciated.
Check out the 888 tuning section on Go-ride -

www.go-ride.com/tips.html

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
First off, if you haven't changed the oil, this is an absolute necessity. The cheap crap they put in those things stock actually stinks.....literally. You should always do this after your first ride on a new fork.....especially marzocchis. You get a lot of the manufacturing particulates washed by the first generation oil. The 888s are really bad about this and dirty oil will certainly affect the forks responsiveness. If you're running the stock springs at 210lbs, you definitely shouldn't be having a problem getting the fork to compress, it should be just the opposite. Other than that, the go-ride tips should help you out after you change the oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kidwoo said:
First off, if you haven't changed the oil, this is an absolute necessity. The cheap crap they put in those things stock actually stinks.....literally. You should always do this after your first ride on a new fork.....especially marzocchis. You get a lot of the manufacturing particulates washed by the first generation oil. The 888s are really bad about this and dirty oil will certainly affect the forks responsiveness. If you're running the stock springs at 210lbs, you definitely shouldn't be having a problem getting the fork to compress, it should be just the opposite. Other than that, the go-ride tips should help you out after you change the oil.
Thanks for the advice all. I checked out the Go-ride link. I think whats happening, is my fork is sagging too much, and going through 2/3 of its travel too quickly, so when I start hitting bumps, its actually starting to ramp up alot, thus you dont get that plush feeling.....ending up with more of a sticky feeling.

No, I have not changed the oil. I only got it 2 weeks ago, and that was the first run up at Whistler. I think I might need to change at least one of the springs for a heavier one, so I dont bomb through most of the travel on the high speed stuff.....oh....and I will get the oil changed with some good quality stuff this week.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
netguy said:
Thanks for the advice all. I checked out the Go-ride link. I think whats happening, is my fork is sagging too much, and going through 2/3 of its travel too quickly, so when I start hitting bumps, its actually starting to ramp up alot, thus you dont get that plush feeling.....ending up with more of a sticky feeling.

No, I have not changed the oil. I only got it 2 weeks ago, and that was the first run up at Whistler. I think I might need to change at least one of the springs for a heavier one, so I dont bomb through most of the travel on the high speed stuff.....oh....and I will get the oil changed with some good quality stuff this week.
As dirty as that crap gets, you're definitely due for some oil. It sounds like you probably have a combination of clogged rebound damping/packing up as well as sitting too deep. I'm 165 and if anything the stock springs are too soft for me even. A friend of mine who races the pro norba circuit and weighs about the same stuck one firm spring in one of his legs and really likes it. It felt pretty good to me....a bit stiffer than mine for sure. If I went as fast as him, I'd do the same. You might try both or just one but you probably want to go ahead and get the stiffer springs like you said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1st check for proper spring weight.
2nd give fork proper break in time 1-2 hours of ride time.
3rd set proper sag, 1/2 to one full inch of sag.
4th speed up the rebound, this will allow the fork to react to the next bump faster.
I would only change fulid as a last attempt.
If still no luck they have a works program, you can send them youre fork and they will tune it to you and youre riding style.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.