Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
PULL
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 08 888 world cup ata's have been out for a while I'd like to hear some feed back on them.

Good, bad?

What is the actual weight of the fork out of the box with oil and the steer tube?

I'm looking at replacing a totem coil right now. The SOB keeps on leaking out the seals. :madman: I love the totem but wouldn't mind a new fork for this season.:thumbsup:

·
Fearing the Reaper
192 Posts
I've got about 15 runs on mine + one race run. So far so good. Really good. :thumbsup:

Coming from an '06 888 RC2X, I've got some high expectations. All I can really say is that the new fork is pretty stiff, laterally and through the travel. The old one rolls super buttery, and this one will likely open up a bit as well... we'll see. But so far, I've set up as advised by Tom (ZokeTechDepartment guy) and tweaked for the first five runs until it was feeling as I like. I really enjoyed the way it rolled on this run of mixed terrain (tech rocks/twisty/fast wide open/few decent hits). Lots of stiction still, but I am really enjoying it so far and am not second guessing my decision in the least.

Not sure about weight.

·
Fearing the Reaper
192 Posts
Not really. I had been running an All Mountain SL on my trail bike for a couple seasons.... pretty similar style air fork to the 888 ATA... It felt great, air fork or not. I have replaced that with a 55ATA and am just getting that dialed in.... feels really good. Point being: I have had some good experiences with Zoke air forks - you can typically dial them to feel as good as coils.

The new 888 is without doubt very different than the coil 888 I was used to. I am confident it will butter up a little bit with use (based on my experiences with the 55). As much as the RC2X? Probably in a different way. I like the stiffness of the ATA, I just want a smooth, linear feel throughout the travel. I think the replacement of hi/lo speed compression adjust system with a single compression adjust will help get me this feel.

In summary... (sorry for the long windedness).... not really night and day. Different, yes, but I am having good experiences thus far and am pretty stoked to keep getting out on it. And I'll be keeping the old RC2X closeby just in case!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
GLIDE said:
Not really. I had been running an All Mountain SL on my trail bike for a couple seasons.... pretty similar style air fork to the 888 ATA... It felt great, air fork or not. I have replaced that with a 55ATA and am just getting that dialed in.... feels really good. Point being: I have had some good experiences with Zoke air forks - you can typically dial them to feel as good as coils.

The new 888 is without doubt very different than the coil 888 I was used to. I am confident it will butter up a little bit with use (based on my experiences with the 55). As much as the RC2X? Probably in a different way. I like the stiffness of the ATA, I just want a smooth, linear feel throughout the travel. I think the replacement of hi/lo speed compression adjust system with a single compression adjust will help get me this feel.

In summary... (sorry for the long windedness).... not really night and day. Different, yes, but I am having good experiences thus far and am pretty stoked to keep getting out on it. And I'll be keeping the old RC2X closeby just in case!
I dont have much time on mine either but I agree. I was die hard marz coil all the way untill last year when I went with the AM SL1 (ATA) and with some time was able to dial in the spring till it was really smooth and had great small bump traction and good big hit ability (and mine never wound down but with 08 none can wind down with the new cap). So now I have one with 07 AM SL1 and another with 08 888 ATA WC and hopefully will replace my 07 with an 08 55 ATA for the bigger build.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.