Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO here is the deal I am building up a Iron Horse Sunday. So far I have been doing the custom powdercoating so that it is much more durable then the stock paint. Black to white from the rear. The Fork I was looking at the 888s and I can't decide between the world cup or the sl ata. What is the difference in weight between these two and what are your impressions with them?

These are the two I have decided on and which one will go on the bike is still up in the air. Money is not a problem so post away and tell me what you think.

Thanks
Much appreciation to anyone who is willing to help.

Jesse

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Huge improvement over the rc2x? Really? Maybe something was wrong with yours, mine was an incredible fork - the only reason I'm going to the sl this year is to lose a little poundage...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike was purchased from another person so I am the second owner and I don't think that the warrenty is transferable. But yeah the bike is getting repainted i had some problems with the painting company but they are going to make it right and then it will be posted. and you can check it out.

It should be pretty sick.
I think I am going to go with the SL ATA mainly for the weight reasons.
I just built a tomac 204 magnum at Go Ride and it weighs in at 42.5 pounds Triple crown and everything. I will post a picture of that also soon and it is also for sale in the classified section of MTBR.

I want to see if I can get the sunday under 37 pounds.

That would be good maybe even lower.
We shall see...

Thanks for the input so far I appreciate it and would like some more so keep on posting.

Thanks
Jesse

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
less than 1/2 lb between slata and wc. The wc is better out of the box than the 888 rc2x was. I had a white one and 2 months later had the wc, and it is smoother and over 1/2 lb lighter.
It has better small bump compliance (maybe due to the stanchions or ti springs or a valving change) than my rc2x had, and I thought it was perfect.
They are both great choices, I waged between both and for the 1/2lb difference I went with the WC. 200g's isn't worth me trying something till its proven a year or so. I know Marzocchi probably has it spot on but till a solid year of abuse and thrashing, I'll wait. They have the coil systems spot on and fox 40's are coil as well.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
dbabuser said:
Huge improvement over the rc2x? Really? Maybe something was wrong with yours, mine was an incredible fork - the only reason I'm going to the sl this year is to lose a little poundage...
Gotta justify all that $$$$$$$$$$$ some how....

The world cup is only 150 grams lighter than a stock RC2X.

The guys at go-ride weighed a 888 ATA and posted on ridemonkey....6.5 lbs with uncut steer tube, full of oil, and with axle. (that makes it almost 1.5 lbs lighter than RC2X).

I know there have some very happy people with 66 SLs, but there have also been lots of issues already....from loosing air, to loss of small bump comliance, to loss of travel, fork 'winding down', inability to get last 1/2 inch of travel no matter what.....

go read the 66 SL pages here and make your own mind up.....

If you, or anyone is un-biased enough, it is fairly obvious that the common thread with the vast majority of fork issues is AIR. They are lighter, but they have lots more moving parts and seals, and the reliability is just not quite there (something that the bike industry has been promising every year for 8+)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ideas about the air shocks having more problems is very interesting and I have taken a step back and am now looking for what I should do but I still like the SL ATA for its weight advantages but I think I agree waiting for the kinks and other things to be worked out I will wait until more people post their replies and till a run down is done on the new SL but we shall see What happens in the end.

I will post pictures of my final decision when it happens but until then keep the info flowing to help this decision come along faster.

Thanks
again
Jesse

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
bullcrew said:
less than 1/2 lb between slata and wc. The wc is better out of the box than the 888 rc2x was. I had a white one and 2 months later had the wc, and it is smoother and over 1/2 lb lighter.
How long did you wait to give your rc2x it's first oil change? I wonder if the new stanchion finish contributes to the smoother feel out of the box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.