Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding Bootleg canyon last weekend, I noticed a nick in my stanchion. It's deep enough that its bringing oil up from down below. The seel may be damaged now as well.

The shock is 2 years old with moderate riding on it. It was in great shape.

Can I and should I just change the stanchion?
What is Marzzochi's service like? I wouldn't mind having new bushings and seals all around... how much will this cost?
Does Push do this type of work? ..I've only heard of their fox work.

Would it be worth putting some money into, or should I just buy a new fork? I paid 800 for this one (I know they're not worth that now), but I don't mind repairing the thing either.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
After riding Bootleg canyon last weekend, I noticed a nick in my stanchion. It's deep enough that its bringing oil up from down below. The seel may be damaged now as well.

The shock is 2 years old with moderate riding on it. It was in great shape.

Can I and should I just change the stanchion?
What is Marzzochi's service like? I wouldn't mind having new bushings and seals all around... how much will this cost?
Does Push do this type of work? ..I've only heard of their fox work.

Would it be worth putting some money into, or should I just buy a new fork? I paid 800 for this one (I know they're not worth that now), but I don't mind repairing the thing either.
I wet sand it smooth and then use JB Weld to fill in the scratch. After it dries wet sand it smooth again. I think I use 600 or 800 weight wet sandpaper and WD40 to wet it.

Seals are cheap, around $20 for all four and easy to replace. Not sure about bushings, but I doubt yours are worn with only 2 years of moderate riding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Go to your local heavy equipment dealer - like CAT or John Deere - they repair hydraulic cylinders all the time for heavy equipment operators who nick them while working. (pistons get ruined constantly on concrete while doing demo type work.) - CAT or Deere will also have a full machine shop - they are capable of handling a request of that nature - the idea of J.B Weld may work for a short time but it will not last - as the repair has be be within a few thousands or it will eventually ruin a new seal..

Gus

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
GMUGNIER said:
- the idea of J.B Weld may work for a short time but it will not last - as the repair has be be within a few thousands or it will eventually ruin a new seal..

Gus
Nope, I've had it last years with no seal damage. After wet sanding it smooth you can't even feel the scratch when you run your fingers over it.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
.Danno. said:
I wet sand it smooth and then use JB Weld to fill in the scratch. After it dries wet sand it smooth again. I think I use 600 or 800 weight wet sandpaper and WD40 to wet it.

Seals are cheap, around $20 for all four and easy to replace. Not sure about bushings, but I doubt yours are worn with only 2 years of moderate riding.
I would do what .Danno. says. JB weld is cheap. It won't hurt to try. Just make sure you clean up the area you want to apply JB Weld to with isopropyl alcohol. If you can get some methanol, that's better, as it leaves less residue when it evaporates and will make for a stronger bond.

A while ago I nicked up a stanchion on my AM1. I was on a trip and just rode it. After a while the nick was noticably smoother, the seals and bushings must have polished it up a bit. Those things are tough. I'm not saying you should let the fork heal itself, just, don't worry about the seals unless they still leak after you fixed the nick.

Good luck.

_MK

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I've lightly and slowly sanded down any possible burrs sticking up from the scratch with fine steel wool and very fine sandpaper. Then, I used clear nail polish, then sanded it down flush. Works like a charm. I have never used the JB Weld on stanchions, but a few friends of mine have, and it has worked fine for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.