Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone clear up the differences in these forks for me? I ran a '01 Super T (6") for a long time on my Big Hit and freaking loved it. I do want to get a 7-ish inch travel Marz. on my next bike, and I just have no idea what the real differences are in the way these forks perform. Obviously the Shiver is inverted, but when you're riding down the trail what are going to be the real differences in feel and performance between these 3 forks?? (assuming the 888 is the 7" version compared to the Super T).

Marzocchi's site info sucks. Monster T's are cool too but the times I've tried one I'm not too stoked on the weight--front of the bike drops like a rock. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
I've had 3 out of the 4 forks mentioned and...

I've had 3 out of the 4 forks you mentioned and this is what I think. I have a 2001 Super T on my Stinky five and it is a great fork for that bike. I ran it for a short while on my 7" Bullit and it was pretty good too! Then I upgraded to a Shiver on my Bullit and when going downhill in a fairly straight line it was extremely plush but as soon as things get twisty it is not the best tracking fork in the world. It is also extremely heavy. Lighter than a Monster T but still a tank. I just recently picked up a good deal on a 2004 Super T and it is absolutely awesome. Much stiffer than the 2001 Super T and the 2002 Shiver. It is also extremely plush and feels bottomless. I've run extra heavy springs and stock 7.5 weight oil in all these forks. The new Super T is the best of the three by a long shot! I highly recommend it. If you have deeper pockets than I do then the 888 is also a good choice but it seems the people I know are have more difficulty tuning these forks than the Super T. So, for my money, the Super T is the better choice. They have gotten little attention since the introduction of the 888 and consumers like to buy into the hype of the latest and greatest technology. I like the simplicity of the Super T and the fact that you can easily work on it yourself without fear of messing something up.
That's my 2 cents worth!

Summit said:
Can someone clear up the differences in these forks for me? I ran a '01 Super T (6") for a long time on my Big Hit and freaking loved it. I do want to get a 7-ish inch travel Marz. on my next bike, and I just have no idea what the real differences are in the way these forks perform. Obviously the Shiver is inverted, but when you're riding down the trail what are going to be the real differences in feel and performance between these 3 forks?? (assuming the 888 is the 7" version compared to the Super T).

Marzocchi's site info sucks. Monster T's are cool too but the times I've tried one I'm not too stoked on the weight--front of the bike drops like a rock. Thanks!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
the 888 has entirely new cartridges that offer new adjustments and technology over the shiver/super T. The shiver/super T have the same basic damper design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Out of those forks, I have ridden all of them The 888R by far feels the best.

It's NOT difficult to work on.. you just need to keep some sense, and think logically while taking things apart, and keeping them in order (like any mechanical device).

I myself have ridden Jr.T's, Super T's, Shiver DC's, 888's, and Monster T's... and the 888 feels the stiffest, best balanced, and extremely tunable. It's not difficult to disassemble... it's really quite easy. (and I'm 19 years old).

A BigHit with an 888R would be absolutely SICK if your pockets can afford it... but I definitely would consider putting a BigLink kit on the back to better balance out the bike. The 888R is extremely plush for the first few inches, and then has a beutiful "ramp-up" to it to keep it from harshly bottoming. It feels like the travel on the thing never ends when you ride it to. It's BY FAR your best fork for the money.


-Matt
 

·
Samsonite Tester
Joined
·
3,993 Posts
My vote is for the SuperT. Sturdy and plush.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
they pretty much covered everything...

but wit ur 3 choices u really cant go wrong...get the fork that will suit and fit ur new ride best (or in other words get a bike that will suit a shiver... :) )...
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
BigHit-Maniac said:
I myself have ridden Jr.T's, Super T's, Shiver DC's, 888's, and Monster T's... and the 888 feels the stiffest, best balanced, and extremely tunable.
Not to rain on your parade. But while the 888 is a great fork, I think your a bit confused about a few things.

888 stiffer than a Monster T?? Sorry don't think so. I've seen several 888's break, espacially at the arch due too twisting, I cannot say the same for the 03-04 Monster T.

Also the Monster T is more tunable than the 888. Monster T has 26mm Shiver Moto Cartridges using High Speed Compression as well as Low Speed Rebound/Compression and preload. 888 uses HSCV (same as a 03 Super T and Shiver ) and has Preload and Low Speed Rebound/Compression.

The 888 might be lighter making it easier to handle, but the Monster T in the hands of any competent rider can be ridden just as well.

I would say if you want a light fork 888 is the best bet. But if weight isn't your issue the Monster T is the king.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
red5 said:
OK, explain, I'm here to learn. I took this right off the Marzocchi site. So:confused:
the problem is, just because it says "HSCV" doesn't mean it's the same as the shiver and super T cartridges. The 888 cartridges could be described as the "next generation" of HSCV, this one has compression adjustments, and that also makes it radically different than the cartridges that have been offered in the last few years. It's not just the cartridges, but the actual "hscv" damper is totally new and different.

It has the HSCV name, but it's not the same thing as the shiver and super T.

It's hard to really put all these differences out there, because 95% of consumers do not care and it only serves to confuse them, but there are major differences. One rumor I heard from marzocchi (brian peterson if im not mistaken) was that the new monster T is going to have 888 cartridges in it....Personally, I think it'd be cool to have those 26mm shiver cartridges in my shiver fork...that'd be cool...although may not be possible.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
zedro said:
i should know once the riding seasons over...
whats the top cap size on our shivers? 40mm? 45mm?

You could always just order the 50mm shiver motorcross forks...I saw that the works version was only 1995...hey, you could buy a dorado for that much!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
Jm. said:
whats the top cap size on our shivers? 40mm? 45mm?

You could always just order the 50mm shiver motorcross forks...I saw that the works version was only 1995...hey, you could buy a dorado for that much!
believe its 40mm, since the uppers are 42mm. Was even looking at the Shiver D35 MX forks specs, but the internals look way more complicated than what i've seen in the Monsters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
jm. said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ-
so are dorados better or worth the ammoutn of money u pay for em...

i sure dont think so
ok fork boy...so whats the best fork on the market (or best forks for specific types of riding FR and DH only)...

the shiver...monster...888r...or dorado...
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Jm. said:
the problem is, just because it says "HSCV" doesn't mean it's the same as the shiver and super T cartridges. The 888 cartridges could be described as the "next generation" of HSCV, this one has compression adjustments, and that also makes it radically different than the cartridges that have been offered in the last few years. It's not just the cartridges, but the actual "hscv" damper is totally new and different.

It has the HSCV name, but it's not the same thing as the shiver and super T.

It's hard to really put all these differences out there, because 95% of consumers do not care and it only serves to confuse them, but there are major differences. One rumor I heard from marzocchi (brian peterson if im not mistaken) was that the new monster T is going to have 888 cartridges in it....Personally, I think it'd be cool to have those 26mm shiver cartridges in my shiver fork...that'd be cool...although may not be possible.
Thank you sir, I stand corrected. I still think the Monster is more, if not just as, adjustable as a 888.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
red5 said:
Thank you sir, I stand corrected. I still think the Monster is more, if not just as, adjustable as a 888.
no offence intended man...but if u had a hole big enough to fit ur di>ck in, in either ur monster or pushed rc im sure u would...:D
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
BJ- said:
no offence intended man...but if u had a hole big enough to fit ur di>ck in, in either ur monster or pushed rc im sure u would...:D
WOW :eek: no offense taken. While I like my Monster T and PUSH'd RC, I still prefer to keep my d!ck where it belongs...


OK maybe a little, but just in the way you trash the english language. :p
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top