Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Supercutie =O)
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just finished my rebuild which went pretty smoothly. but when i pick up the fork, and shake it vertically, something is sliding up and down. what is it?? im going to break it down again today to find out but i would help if i knew what i was looking for. what could it be?? thanks.
-RPFW

·
Supercutie =O)
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no the oil running is normal. ive had that on both my 05 and 06 66 and 888. but the sliding is new. im about to go take it apart again so ill let you guys know.
-RPFW

·
Registered
938 Posts
The 2 easiest solutions are the springs dont have enough preload or the cartridges arent full of oil. If the springs dont have enough preload the fork will have dead play so try that first or if the cartridges dont have enough oil there will be dead play, first try cycling the fork a bunch, if that doesn't work pull the springs out and cycle the dampening rods until they fill with oil, you will feel a difference with air vs oil.

·
Supercutie =O)
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well boys . . . you were all wrong hahaha
it turns out that the "pushers" have two different lengths and i got them mixed up so i just switched them and all is good :thumbsup: smooth as butter.

and ot but my boss is all like "yea i dont really like marzocchi :nono:" and im like "wtf i love their stuff" and he says "yea they've been kinda shitty from the get go, fox is really the way to go" and im like "well i can see why you would like them but marzocchi is stil a good company" and he just kinda . . . doesnt care for them that much. why??

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
warriorltd said:
well boys . . . you were all wrong hahaha
it turns out that the "pushers" have two different lengths and i got them mixed up so i just switched them and all is good :thumbsup: smooth as butter.

and ot but my boss is all like "yea i dont really like marzocchi :nono:" and im like "wtf i love their stuff" and he says "yea they've been kinda shitty from the get go, fox is really the way to go" and im like "well i can see why you would like them but marzocchi is stil a good company" and he just kinda . . . doesnt care for them that much. why??
Um...yeah....

Ask your boss if he recognizes this bike.....

Marzocchi has been building serious bike forks...well, for over 15 years. The 1997 release of the Bomber series was probably the single most important product introduction in the history of DH mountain biking. It established an entirely new level of performance for mountain bike suspension...quite a bit prior to FOX coming out with forks....

Fox might make good forks, but they have had many quirks.

Marzocchi's have been the most reliable forks over the years, by a long shot.

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
warriorltd said:
i dont get it. its just an old school dh race. whats up with that?
Watch the video again. At 1:14, Jimmy Deaton rides over a pretty large wooden bridge crossing the alpine slide. Then watch Dave Cullinan's run....notice how they didn't show the bridge? That's because he gapped the entire flat section, roughly 30 ft, at high speed and flew out of the camera shot. There's at least one pic of it floating around - he's about 4-5ft above the deck, above the railings, and jumping between two chairlifts overhead. One of the classic and revolutionary moments in DH mountain biking.

Anyway, that pic is of his 1992 World's DH bike, with a Marzoochi fork on it.....here's the other half:

·
Supercutie =O)
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i have fixed the old problem. it doesnt make any noise. but now there is a new one. i went to diablo on sunday and i noticed that my fork is only getting about 5-6 inches of its travel. then it just bottoms out. no matter how hard i try or what settings im in it wont get the full 8 inches. is that by any chance because there is too much oil?? idk how to fix it. please help me out. thanks
-RPFW

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
warriorltd said:
well i have fixed the old problem. it doesnt make any noise. but now there is a new one. i went to diablo on sunday and i noticed that my fork is only getting about 5-6 inches of its travel. then it just bottoms out. no matter how hard i try or what settings im in it wont get the full 8 inches. is that by any chance because there is too much oil?? idk how to fix it. please help me out. thanks
-RPFW
It sounds like too much oil, for sure. How long has it been since you replace the oil? You might as well open it back up and dump the oil out and replace it.

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
i use to run marz religiously once i switched to a boxxer i never looked back. nothing wrong with marz i just love my boxxer.

·
Registered
938 Posts
warriorltd said:
-RPFW
Yep too much oil, it has happened to my rc2x before. The oil levels on the marzocchi site are complete bullsh!t. Measure oil height instead of volume. I believe the max oil height on a 200mm rc2x is 185mm from the top with springs removed and fork compressed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.