Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 20" X-7 with a 888 on it. He's 6' 9" and 280 lbs I'd say intermediate DH rider on the lifts but at Blackrock IMO the bike is too raked out in the front/too tall/angled.

I'm starting to wonder if he should go to a 7" or 6" fork to lower the front end and square his riding style up more. We are trying to work on jumping as BlackRock has lots of gaps and drops. Right now he lands too rearward and lots of times one footed :eek:

And for his size what 6" fork would be best suited for him at his size?

( side note, yesterday BR had a shuttle day and Kona had demo bikes and my friend tried a I forget but the Kona guy set him up and he bottomed the air shock out on minimal 2" drops. :eekster: Soooo.......)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had and adjustable, 180mm - 140mm boxxer ride on mine and loved it. I am 5'8" 215, and the stock spring suites me fine, so your friend will need a heavier spring for sure.

A 180mm Domain may be the ticket.

·
Registered
96 Posts
with 7 in of travel in the rear he should be ok. the frame may looked really raked but it will work. i rode an 05 with a boxxer on it and it worked out really well.
maybe jill could shed a littte better light on the subject?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thinking was going to a 6" fork it'd lower his front. I guess its his 6' 9" that is hard to figure out. He's hanging off the back of the bike. I've tried to help him with riding style at the BMX and our own track as far as rythm and jumps and flowing. That has helped alot but everytime the jump drop gets taller/bigger he way off the back of the bike. We have worked on riding more straight up but IMO the rake/height of the 888 maybe part of the problem.

I'm only 5'9" and I ride a 20" when I try to show him were and how to stand for porportional examples at the track and he rides my Haro Escape. I try to get him to widen his knees instead of bending them backwards.

Since he has the 888 as trading stock or can sell it which fork would be good for him at 280 lbs??? I was think if he went to a non-integrated f/stem he could lengthen the stem a bit :)nono: :eekster: :eek: not what I'd like but...) to stretch him out ???

·
Registered
96 Posts
damn he is a big guy. at 280 he's going to be hard on parts no matter you put on it. but if you can get more centered over the bike or if possible riding up front that would be the best remedy. unfortunately, alot of riders have been told that when descending, dropping etc you need to throw your ass over your back wheel. but with the new technology coming out riders are able to throw themselves head first off of everything. but until he gets more forward, i wouldn't do too much to the bike except beef up the rear end. how many wheels has he gone through?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dh_roach said:
damn he is a big guy. at 280 he's going to be hard on parts no matter you put on it. but if you can get more centered over the bike or if possible riding up front that would be the best remedy. unfortunately, alot of riders have been told that when descending, dropping etc you need to throw your ass over your back wheel. but with the new technology coming out riders are able to throw themselves head first off of everything. but until he gets more forward, i wouldn't do too much to the bike except beef up the rear end. how many wheels has he gone through?
I agree totally :yesnod:

As far as crashing.... when he got the 888 he was stoked and we were riding at Willamette Pass and its treacherous up top and he was getting braver by the drop and then he tried to squeeze thru some trees while droping and ended up in another tree. He hit so solid that you could feel the impact in the loamy dirt. So then he was sketch and we rode Dirty Snachez after that and he did a drop and landed just milling the front wheel off the ground and then in the course of a steep 30-40' he ended up in a 90 deg manual right into a 3' Doug Fir tree. The 888 and rear stock Metal bottomed out and shot him back into ground.

Bike is ok though, broke the rear derailer. heres a short video of him .....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.