Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all. Hi. It's my first post. So be gentle.

OK pleasantries out of the way. I have a Kona Stinky Dee-Lux with 888vf's, and I would like to try the flat crowns to see if they make a difference to the handling.

If any of you have any experience going from the normal crowns to the flats, please share it with me.

Thanks in advance.

Oh!! Forgot to say. I'm bidding on a set on ebay, and the auction ends in 6hours.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
Zaphoid said:
Can sombody explain to me what exactly flat crowns are?
originally, the 888 came with crowns that made it 1" taller than it needed to be, giving an 8" fork an effectivee axle to crown height of a 9" fork. flat crowns, or lowering crowns surfaced in the aftermarket to correct this issue, lowering a stock 888 1". this lowers the front end, steepens the headangle of the bike, and shortens the wheelbase a little.
making the bike more responsive with better conering characteristics.

all the new 888's and 66's come stock with flat crowns now.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Zaphoid said:
Can sombody explain to me what exactly flat crowns are?
Take a look at the stock marzocchi crowns that come on a 888. See the drop on the sides where the curve down? That means your lowers will hit the crowns at a point where the fork is sitting lower (front end of bike higher) than is necessary. Flat crowns are just that....flat....without that downward curve. The overall effect is that you can lower the front end of your bike and increase your head angle/steering so that you have a bike that doesn't feel like an easy rider showcase. Marzocchi screwed up to pander to gimongous tires that the minority of people wanting this fork might have. Go-ride figured it out and made some flat crowns first, then risse, and finally they are an option from marzocchi.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Flat crowns

Flat crowns are great in most conditions, but you must consider the bike your putting them on. A few things to think about are 1. All the complete kona stinkys come with a 7" version of the 888, could that mean the frame was designed for that fork length? 2. The fork is only a vf, and all the newer forks come with drop crowns, so is it worth it to put more money into that fork than save the money for a future upgrade like an 8" 888rc? Do you like the way the bike handles right now or does it steer to slow?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flat crowns are great in most conditions, but you must consider the bike your putting them on. A few things to think about are 1. All the complete kona stinkys come with a 7" version of the 888, could that mean the frame was designed for that fork length? 2. The fork is only a vf, and all the newer forks come with drop crowns, so is it worth it to put more money into that fork than save the money for a future upgrade like an 8" 888rc? Do you like the way the bike handles right now or does it steer to slow?
At times it does feel like an Easy Rider, and the handling is slightly sluggish on certain trails. But, I am curious to see how much of a difference 25mm (minimum) can make

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
stinky steve said:
At times it does feel like an Easy Rider, and the handling is slightly sluggish on certain trails. But, I am curious to see how much of a difference 25mm (minimum) can make
I would call Marzocchi first and see how much you can get them for...then check go ride's price

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.