Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for a similar thread, no dice. I have an 05 888rc, ridden two months and now every time I pull up the front wheel for a wheelie, the fork makes a "haclunk" noise when the sag is released. This noise just started a couple of days ago, but I can really feel it in the bike. Has anyone had anything similar happen?

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
My best guess is that your springs have settled, and there is now some space between the springs, and top caps. I'd recommend opening that puppy up, and moving the preload clips to their lowest level. Should solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
El Chingon said:
your springs have settled, and there is now some space between the springs, and top caps.
That's exactly the problem. The springs are a little too short, and compress a little more after use. You only need to put them on the middle notch to solve the problem. Putting it on the lower notch will increase the preload, making the spring rate a little stiffer. When you move the little c-clip down, just slide it down the shaft, do not remove it from the shaft or you will bend it and ruin it. See the go-ride 888 tuning article for good how-to photos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, but unfortunatly, I was already running the c-clips in lowest position and the oil levels were checked recently. I guess I'll bring her into the shop, see what they say.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Did you check the wankernut . . .

I had heard that sometimes when your wankernuts are loose it can cause your pleageabottom to contact with the thingamadidle and cause the "clunk" sound . . .

Sorry, I make that all up, I can't help myself . . .
thankfully my 888 is not making any clunking sounds, just a buttery smooth squishy sound . . .

But, have you pulled the caps just to see if something is "amiss" inside? This fork is not like taking apart a swiss watch or anything, kinda simple, 'except for the dampener technology and stuff"

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hammer

If you've done any trail work I'd assume you have a 5 lb sledge hammer...grab it. On the lowers exactly at the "B" in Bomber...thats your target. Wack that joker. And I mean wack the hell out of it. If the first few don't get the job done just go to work like a lumberjack and don't quit until magnesium chunks are flying and fork oil is a bloody mess all over your shoes. Noise gone. Problem solved.

3 words: Marzocchi Authorised Dealer

·
RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
826 Posts
captainpolution said:
maybe somebody fudged with your rebound damping...... try messin with it
it for sure the rebound no question. mine did that exact same thing a little while ago, slow the rebound up and she'll be good. it's something that hapens often. it is topping out too fast. that's where the noise is from.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Same thing on my Super T

My 04 Super T is making a weird noise as well (previously posted). When I lift the front wheel and put it back down, it almost sounds like cable slap (but it's not). On drops, it is a much louder clank (although it does not happen all the time).

I am convinced something internal is not right and "floating" in the leg when it should be secure. It was fine up until 2 weekends ago.

It's not the headset, it's not the front wheel, the oil level is fine, and there is about 4 months of riding on it....so I'm going to have to bring it in to my LBS.

Let me know if you find anything out.

ty_merwin said:
I tried searching for a similar thread, no dice. I have an 05 888rc, ridden two months and now every time I pull up the front wheel for a wheelie, the fork makes a "haclunk" noise when the sag is released. This noise just started a couple of days ago, but I can really feel it in the bike. Has anyone had anything similar happen?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.