Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering picking up a 9.8 frame at a good price, and moving my components over from my 8500.

As it is now, the steer tube on my SID is cut right flush with the top of the head tube (i.e. not enough room for a spacer).

Can anyone tell me if the 9.8 head tube is longer? Is there a good chance my fork won't transfer?

Thanks for any help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
gofarther said:
I'm considering picking up a 9.8 frame at a good price, and moving my components over from my 8500.

As it is now, the steer tube on my SID is cut right flush with the top of the head tube (i.e. not enough room for a spacer).

Can anyone tell me if the 9.8 head tube is longer? Is there a good chance my fork won't transfer?

Thanks for any help!
I measured the headtube on my 8500 and my 9.8 and the difference is very small: the 9.8 is 0.2 inch longer.
You can transfer the fork but if there is not enough margin for a spacer on the 8500 there won't be enough margin on the 9.8 either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I ended up emailing trek for the measurements.

105mm on the 8500, 126mm on the 9.8.

As good an excuse as any to get a new '04 SID team right? ;)

Thanks again.

GF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
gofarther said:
Thanks for the help. I ended up emailing trek for the measurements.

105mm on the 8500, 126mm on the 9.8.

As good an excuse as any to get a new '04 SID team right? ;)

Thanks again.

GF
Hi GF,

I figured out what went wrong here: I have a large frame, you have the medium size.

Actual size of the head tube on the 9.8 medium is 126 mm.
Actual size of the head tube on the 8500 medium is 125 mm

The 105 mm size they gave you is for the small 15.5 inch 8500 frame.

Best regards, Rene

Ps manuals with sizes:

www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2002/manuals/ZR9000.pdf

www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2002/manuals/OCLV_types.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rdebets said:
Hi GF,

I figured out what went wrong here: I have a large frame, you have the medium size.

Actual size of the head tube on the 9.8 medium is 126 mm.
Actual size of the head tube on the 8500 medium is 125 mm

The 105 mm size they gave you is for the small 15.5 inch 8500 frame.

Best regards, Rene

Ps manuals with sizes:

www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2002/manuals/ZR9000.pdf

www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2002/manuals/OCLV_types.pdf
Where were you 5 days ago?! :D

Oh well, $1000 for an '03 9.8 frame, brand new '04 SID team,and XTR front der. is a pretty good price...

Thanks for your help!

GF
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top