Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps,

Just got my new Sunday frame - now building up.

Options for 83mm cranksets? I would like something as light as possible being only 150lbs and never having bust an XT crankset in the last three years of DH abuse on my old frame.....

I know I can get Saint or Diabolus (how heavy??!!), the other Sundays come with FSA Gravity Gap (?).....

Anyone know any other options?

Thanks,

ChamMTB

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I just ran into this problem yesterday building up a new frame. I was going to keep the Truvativ ISIS cranks I have already, but the 83mm ISIS BB is impossible to find.

Go with the Saint cranks. They are bombproof, totally worth the small weight penalty. Go-Ride has them on sale right now. I'm almost positive those FSA cranks are heavier. If you don't want the Shimanos, then go for the Race Face Diabolus.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Tuvativ has and 83mm howitzer bb, you camn use Saint, Diabolous or even profile (make sure you use the 6-7/8" spindle) with custom spacer(s).

ISIS was 2003/4 and went as quickly as it came - best to leave those setups on the shelves! (The Howitzer etc style with outboard bearings are fine!)

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
ChamMTB said:
Chaps,

Just got my new Sunday frame - now building up.

Options for 83mm cranksets? I would like something as light as possible being only 150lbs and never having bust an XT crankset in the last three years of DH abuse on my old frame.....

I know I can get Saint or Diabolus (how heavy??!!), the other Sundays come with FSA Gravity Gap (?).....

Anyone know any other options?

Thanks,

ChamMTB
FSA makes a nice 83mm ISIS bb, and then you can run whatever light cranks you want from there.
There is no light external bb crankset option for 83mm bb shells.
RaceFace made a custom 83mm Atlas crankset for Riffle (when he was riding for Yeti), I wish they would make them for the rest of us......

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
83 bb were tough to find for a while, FSA finally got a batch out recently.
I just weighed a FSA platinum DH 83 BB and FSA gravity crank with bash and 36t for a total weight of 1240 grams. How does that compare?

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
airwreck said:
I just weighed a FSA platinum DH 83 BB and FSA gravity crank with bash and 36t for a total weight of 1240 grams. How does that compare?
You didn't happen to weigh the BB by itself did you?

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
airwreck said:
Saint 'DH' are 1107g (according to references) - thats with a burly 44t ring, no bash. I would imagine with a 36 and an E-13 would come in about the same??!!

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
I have one of those 83mm FSA Platinums and they're no lightweights at all. Wish I had a weight for ya.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Chaps....

thought as much. I can get a pair of FSA Gravity Gap cranks - so probably go with those and wait until there is another real option. Not much likelyhood of me breaking anything so not much need for saint....

Wanting a light build on this bike is not proving easy. Wheels and shock springs seem to be the place to go.....light spokes, tubes, rims. Can I justify Ti springs F&R??!! now that's a nasty bill but a decent saving.....

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
As mentioned before, especially since you're a lightweight like myself, you can easily and safely get away with running a lighter weight crank using the Platinum ISIS BB. I run Truvativ Stylo Team cranks and they hold up fine and save lots. You can expect to save about 3/4 pound swapping out to a ti rear spring alone depending on your shock stroke.

·
Registered
465 Posts
83mm shell bottom brackets aren't hard to find, you can order the FSA platinum dh that is cheap, or the other ISIS option is the Truvativ giga pipe team DH with 4 bearings. Other than that you will have to go with saints, since diavolus or evolve dhs are heavy as hell.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
The Gravity cranks and Gap cranks are different models. But both of them are boat anchors. Nice, but not light. If you are going light, I would buy the ISIS bb and run the Gravity Light crankset. The combo is going to be at least 150g lighter than Saint. Not as strong, but everything is a compromise.

Check out this thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174579

JMH

ChamMTB said:
thought as much. I can get a pair of FSA Gravity Gap cranks - so probably go with those and wait until there is another real option. Not much likelyhood of me breaking anything so not much need for saint....

Wanting a light build on this bike is not proving easy. Wheels and shock springs seem to be the place to go.....light spokes, tubes, rims. Can I justify Ti springs F&R??!! now that's a nasty bill but a decent saving.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got the same problem.

I wanted Holzfellers, but they don't come in 165mm (And I axed myself twice last season hitting the pedal on high speed sections, so I want as much clearance as possible :D ) Diabolous are to heavy, so I've decided on Saints. I've run them before and never had any probs, easy to fit and remove and strong as, what else could you need :thumbsup:

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
To the OP - The lightest option for FSA is the Gravity Lite's w/ ISIS. That'll end up being about 900g (weighed with their heavy single alu ring). Gaps run about 1100g, and Gravity's are 1200. Saints are 1100g (all including BB), and Diabolus are about 1150 (although might weigh a bit more in real life?). You should be able to find an ISIS bb from FSA, Truvativ and Race Face (maybe not RF?). The spec's you'd want are 83 x 128mm.

For weight, you have two options - Spend more $$ and have equal strength/performance, or spend the same amount of $$ and have less durability. In the former are things such as Ti springs, lighter stems (e-13 or Thomson), seat, post, etc.

The other option is to build up with more "all mountain/light FR" type of parts, such as smaller 2.5 tires, welter-weight tubes, all mountain rims (such as DT's 5.1, Mavic's 721 or WTB's Laserdisc Trail), thinner spokes, etc. This won't cost as much money up front, but might cost you in repair/replacement costs if things start breaking.

Overall I'd say go for as much of the first category as you can afford (Ti spring, X.0 vs X.9, etc), and then focus on light weight vs full-on DH stuff. 2.5 Maxxis DH tires with welter-weight or even XC tubes is one way to shave weight (you can actually get 2.3 DH Maxxis tires in Europe... :(), as well as light weight rims/spokes. Check out the Sunday WC build for more ideas, weighed on a digital scale it is 39.2lbs (17.6k) out of the box, including pedals. Even that could be lightened w/ a Ti spring, normal (vs ODI) grips, I-Beam saddle/post, and ISIS Gravity Lite cranks. Other options would be a Ti road cassette (mmmmmm, Dura Ace 9sp CS7700 155g), e.13 Ali stem, etc.

:)

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
Secace said:
I have one of those 83mm FSA Platinums and they're no lightweights at all. Wish I had a weight for ya.
still much lighter than the Truvativ ISIS offering.

on my Sunday I'm running an 128 FSA Platinum BB + 165 FSA Gravity Lite (afterburners) + e13 LG1 and that's one of the lightest setups you'll find for that size BB shell.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Go with the new hollow truvativ cranks, I think they call them Hollzfeler OCT, they are a lot lighter that regular hollzfelers and they clam that are stronger. I dunno if the howitzer BB is heavy, I think it came in two versions.

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
Mongiafer said:
Go with the new hollow truvativ cranks, I think they call them Hollzfeler OCT, they are a lot lighter that regular hollzfelers and they clam that are stronger. I dunno if the howitzer BB is heavy, I think it came in two versions.
The only problem with the OCT cranks is that they don't really exsist....at least not yet.
The FSA 83x128 bb weighs 280grams

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.