Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about 5’ 9.5” 170 lbs riding XC/all mountain in Southern Cal. I’m trying to decide between Mojo SL XT or SLX kit. The XT kit looks about 1.5 lbs lighter for about $1200 more.

Does 1.5 lbs really make a difference?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Thats a hell of a lot of cash for 1.5lb saving.

What about a std Mojo with XT. I wonder how the weights will stack up esp as you can get the Ti bolt kit for next to nothing and the fact that the std comes with a better shock....IMO

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nzl62 said:
Thats a hell of a lot of cash for 1.5lb saving.

What about a std Mojo with XT. I wonder how the weights will stack up esp as you can get the Ti bolt kit for next to nothing and the fact that the std comes with a better shock....IMO
From the stated weights, it seems the SL would save about 1 lb for $300 over the STD. In 09, both the SL and STD come with Fox Float RLC in the XT kit.

How much does Ti bolts save in weight?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
robbieracer said:
Yes 1.5 lbs makes a large difference, but a bigger difference may be the long term superior reliability of the XT stuff.
Is it worth it? Only you can decide how to spend your own cash :)
Thanks for your comment about reliability, I never thought about that.

Where would the weight difference come into play the most? Climbs? Descents? Could the average rider tell the difference in performance given the same geometry?

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
hey g2, i have no experience with the new slx group...but if you ride a lot the xt has a track record of reliability...also your the same size and weight as me...bigger question is what frame size???you kinda in between a medium w/a longer stem or a large w/a short stem..i'm happy with my large w/a short stem...more in the bike than on top...because i have very long legs...welcome and good luck...

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
mtok77 said:
I would go with STD Mojo with SLX kit and upgrade the wheelset.

There are lots of positive reviews of SLX groupset. And Revelation is a better fork than the Fox in the XT kit.
hey g2, good point...that's a lot of bike for 3 grand...i love my rs fork...

·
Registered
237 Posts
If it was me, I believe I'd buy the SLX kit, and upgrade a few parts. I would keep the SLX cranks, SLX front derailleur, and the Avid Elixer R brakes. I would buy an XT rear derailleur, XT shifters, XT cassette, and Hope Pro 2/Dt Swiss 5.1 or 4.1 wheelset from Chain Reaction for around $550 total (everything!). I would then sell the the Rock Shox Revelation 426 (maybe for $350-400 or so??), and buy either a Fox Talas 15QR (or Float if you don't need travel adjust) or a Magura Thor. These forks can be found $600-$675 new (less for the Float), and sometimes much cheaper used. So after selling the Revelation, you now have invested an extra $875 or so in a Mojo with a much better wheelset and fork (lighter and stiffer) than the SLX kit, along with better shifting XT components. Sell the Mavic Crossrides and recup another $150 or so.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
glance2 said:
The stock wheelset is Mavic Crossride with Kenda Nevagal DTC 26 x 2.1.

Which wheelset would be good to upgrade to?
It appear Ibis has two other wheelsets listed on the web site for '09:
Easton AM HAVOC Disc 26"
Stans ZTR355 w/ano alloy nipples

The Mavic CrossRide wheels are solid wheels, with a narrow XC width and strong enough for light AM (very rough trail and small jump) riding. These are heavier than the other 2 options. Probably about 1 pound heavier or more, don't know the weight specifics. Retail prices are often discounted under $200 list price for CrossRide wheels. These are a lot of wheel quality for the money.

A pound of tire weight difference is very noticeable when climbing smoother trail. Added rolling wheel weight however, eases slower very rough trail riding with greater rolling momentum like a flywheel. Tire weight rather than wheel weight is a better way to add rolling momentum for rougher trails.

The AM HAVOC wheels have wider rims which add air volume, to allow lower tire pressures for better traction and smoother ride without pinch flatting. If considering 2.3 tires or larger, the added rim width is more stable and it provides more cornering tire edge bite than an narrower rim. A retail price for these wheels is probably $600 - $650 (do some google searches to find what retailers charge).

The ZTR rims are narrower, optimized for tires up to 2.2 in size, very light and strong, and the Stans rims are best for converting tires to tubeless for best traction and rolling resistance. These vary in price depending on hubs, probaly not much higher in price than the HAVOC with the same Easton hubs, if available.

Ibis may have some left over wheels from '08. Check with your dealer, the dealer can find out what wheel options are available and the additional price.

Enjoy your new Mojo!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Bottom line

buy what you can afford, whatever spec, you'll love the bike.

Personally I like the std one better than the sl. The weight debate between SLX and XT is not that big an issue as it isn't rotational weight. If you are worried about the climbs then upgrade to a lighter set, if you rock the descents, go for a stiffer wider rim and bigger tyres.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When I bought my Mojo I went with the lowest-end build. My philosophy was that I would be absolutely infatuated with the bike at first, but as with all things, that begins fading with time.

So saving the cash would enable me to less guiltily gradually upgrade to exactly the components I wanted, and with each upgrade get that "new gear" infatuation (AKA overwhelming lust to ride).

Over the past 1.5 years I've upgraded almost every component on my Mojo, and have managed to not only enjoy all the upgrade research, but also maintain the same Mojo enthusiasm.

Then again, if you don't suffer from/enjoy the "upgrade-itis" condition, the XT build is very solid.

·
boba
133 Posts
What's not to like about XT?

We went with the Clear Mojo Carbon and Guiness Foam with 08 XT kits (one was talas 36....great shifters, shadow derailleur, excellent brakes, very good wheelset, fine cranks etc.

My Clear Carbon Mojo with titanium bolt kit weighs (and this is according to Hans),
200 grams more than the SL, and some of us including iclique (who obviously has better taste in some things than most of us) like the clear Mojo or painted Mojos more than the rubberized SL paint..which paint by the way can have its own issues such as staining and being difficult to protect.

When and if my Mojo gets old and ugly, I will take off all the hardware and paint it some great color with a fine and very tough, two-part epoxy such as Imron and it will become an original.."work of art".

bob..comox.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
derby said:
It appear Ibis has two other wheelsets listed on the web site for '09:
Easton AM HAVOC Disc 26"
Stans ZTR355 w/ano alloy nipples

The Mavic CrossRide wheels are solid wheels, with a narrow XC width and strong enough for light AM (very rough trail and small jump) riding. These are heavier than the other 2 options. Probably about 1 pound heavier or more, don't know the weight specifics. Retail prices are often discounted under $200 list price for CrossRide wheels. These are a lot of wheel quality for the money.

A pound of tire weight difference is very noticeable when climbing smoother trail. Added rolling wheel weight however, eases slower very rough trail riding with greater rolling momentum like a flywheel. Tire weight rather than wheel weight is a better way to add rolling momentum for rougher trails.
Thank you for your analysis and great suggestions.

Does anyone know the weights of Mavic CrossRide, Easton AM HAVOC Disc 26" and/or Stans ZTR355 w/ano alloy nipples?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.