Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a new set of wheels, and was just recommended the Olympic and the Arch by my builder, though he said the Olympic may be too light/skinny for my tire choices. I've been running the 819 for a couple years and have been quite pleased with them, though they are a little heavy.

I weigh 150, like to run 2.1 - 2.3 tubeless tires, and ride in a rocky area. Can I get by with the Olympic, or will I be truing them all the time?

Any feedback on the Arch yet? Does the olympic hold up?

Thanks!

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
necro said:
I am building up a new set of wheels, and was just recommended the Olympic and the Arch by my builder, though he said the Olympic may be too light/skinny for my tire choices. I've been running the 819 for a couple years and have been quite pleased with them, though they are a little heavy.

I weigh 150, like to run 2.1 - 2.3 tubeless tires, and ride in a rocky area. Can I get by with the Olympic, or will I be truing them all the time?

Any feedback on the Arch yet? Does the olympic hold up?

Thanks!
Don't get the Olympic for the riding you described. The Arch is new, so you're not likely to find much feedback on it, but it should be a decent choice for what you are looking for.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
From what you describe I wouldn't recommend the Olympic. If you're not racing, the Arch would work well for you. If you do plan on racing and want to shed some grams you can look at the 355. Both the Arch and 355 will resist denting better than the Olympic in rocky conditions.

From my lateral stiffness testing, the Arch is about 7% stiffer than the 819 and for the samples tested the Arch weighed 407g and the 819 450g without nipple cups. That gives a strength-to-weight ratio for the Arch of .0599 and a s-t-w ratio for the 819 of .0505 (add the nipple cups and it drops). For reference a DT 4.2 came in at .0450 and a 717 is at .0434.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Ventanarama said:
Don't get the Olympic for the riding you described. The Arch is new, so you're not likely to find much feedback on it, but it should be a decent choice for what you are looking for.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]
You better say that you!!! And there could be some feedback if you hurried a bit more! :D :D Haha, just kidding!

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Another no vote for the Olympics

I ride olympics on my light xc bike. They are great for racing but they are much too flexy for curvy singletrack. I got some 355's on king hubs and they are much stiffer and still light. I have had a set of 819's for about 4 years and they are dented to hell but they are still true and they still hold air. I am really happy with the 355's so far. The build feels as stiff if not stiffer than the 819's and the wider rim means I can run tires with a thinner sidewall and still not wash out at lower pressures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.