Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I get the friggin bolts off my King hub, I'm going to build it up with either of these rims. I"m still on the fence though.

Both are good rims, but if I go with 5.1s, I cannot use UST if I decide to go that route later. But the 5.1 got rave reviews from most of you folks. Right now I'm leaning towards the 5.1 due to more strength, durability. But Mavics have always been good to me too. HMM.

UST tires are super heavy though. UST rims have a better bead lock.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
You can use the DT Swiss Tubeless Kit...

to seal it and then use UST tires if they make one for the 5.1
Otherwise it's Stan's NoTubes Rimstrips.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
I can see no reason not to go with the 5.1's. They lighter, wider, and will also be tubeless compatible shortly. Search recent threads by Squeaky Wheel, as he just rebuilt his wheels with 5.1's after using 819's for quite some time.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Just a little FYI....

The mavic will hold a UST tire better than the DT rims with their conversion kit.
If you don't plan on using UST, Eclipse who makes the kits for DT Swiss say the kits are ONLY for UST tire use.

if you are a dedicated UST tire user, then go mavic like I did, otherwise go DT.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
The mavic will hold a UST tire better than the DT rims with their conversion kit.
If you don't plan on using UST, Eclipse who makes the kits for DT Swiss say the kits are ONLY for UST tire use.

if you are a dedicated UST tire user, then go mavic like I did, otherwise go DT.
why will the 819 hold a UST tire better? I am not trying to be confrontational....just curious. Is it that theoretically the rim will hold better or is there data to support this? I think either im is a great choice but personally, knowing Mavics crappy customer service and my excellent experience with Mavic 4.1s and USTs on 2 bikes, there is no doubt I would go with the 5.1s over the 819s, especially now that the tubeless conversion is available for the 5.1s.

cheers

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
FoShizzle said:
why will the 819 hold a UST tire better? I am not trying to be confrontational....just curious. Is it that theoretically the rim will hold better or is there data to support this? I think either im is a great choice but personally, knowing Mavics crappy customer service and my excellent experience with Mavic 4.1s and USTs on 2 bikes, there is no doubt I would go with the 5.1s over the 819s, especially now that the tubeless conversion is available for the 5.1s.

cheers
The 819's rim edges are a bit hooked to grab the UST tire bead.

That being said, I'd still go with the 5.1's over the 819s for the width, strength & stiffness.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, i am paralyzed. the market has so many choices nowadays. you boys all have good advice from experience. because of all of your sharing, i'm going with the 5.1 over the 819s. the only reason i hesitated was because of the thought of using UST tires in the future. but UST tires are too heavy for my taste.

so, 5.1 w/tubeless conversion kit, std tires will be the setup for me.

whats this about what Eclipse said? only for UST tires? is there another kit then. i intend to use Panaracer Fire XC Pros up front, Specialized Adrenaline Pros in the rear.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
It's just called CYA!!!

Just use tires with a tight fittng bead and enjoy your new rims. They are are supposed be some sweet rims. DT Swiss' quality is very nice.
Again I chose the 819 over the 4.1 because I use UST tires 90% of the time.
For XC use in Florida, 819 are fine for me.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, Squeaky and all you others. Do you use a tubeless kit on your 5.1s? If so, what kit?

Again, I want to use my current tires, the Panaracer XC Pro up front, Specialized Adrenaline Pro in the rear. Which kit should I use? Stan's, Eclipse or what?

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
myitch said:
So, Squeaky and all you others. Do you use a tubeless kit on your 5.1s? If so, what kit?

Again, I want to use my current tires, the Panaracer XC Pro up front, Specialized Adrenaline Pro in the rear. Which kit should I use? Stan's, Eclipse or what?
DT is going to be releaseing a rim strip that will sit inside the rim and seal to the UST tire for a tubless setup. They will be available soon, or might already be. For your current tires you ought to stick with the Yes Tubes kit. ;)

_MK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts