Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new fork, but I am not sure what travel to get. This is my current setup, 1999 Stumpjumper FSR with 3.5” of rear travel and a 80mm Rockshoc Sid fork. I do cross country riding, lots of fire roads, and some single track. I don’t do any big drops at all. What are the advantages and disadvantages to moving up to a 100mm fork? What I am more concern about is climbing. Will a 100mm fork help or hinder my climbing ability. Any advise or opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's a close call. Riding 80mm forks, my tracking felt more precise while climbing, for sure. But you get used to a little more travel very quickly, and now I prefer 100mm for all around use. I guess that somewhere in the back of my head, I still think that 80mm climbed better.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
In all likelihood, a 100 mm vork wil slacken your head angle by about a degree. In theory this should make for better handling downhill and high speed, and should require a little more work when climbing or riding ST.

(I'm running a Reba @95 mm on a frame designed for 80, and so far I can't tell the difference in handling. Now the plusher suspension I do feel..... :-D )

·
Registered
507 Posts
I went from an 80 to a 100 on a 2003 Fuel. Definately went over bumps, ... better. But could notice the slacker head angle. Did not track in corners as well. Probably overall a plus. But that is a subjective call.

·
what...?
695 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. I went from an 80mm to a 105mm on my Y2k Element last year and it was the best upgrade I ever did to the bike. It took about 2 -3 rides to get used to the taller front end. After that, the increase in plushness was really noticeable.

If you want a great deal on a Marzocchi MarathonS, PM me. I wound up getting a 5Spot and that is really plush!!

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
I think it really depends on the bike and how well you like the handling as-is. For what it's worth, I recently swapped the 80mm fork on my 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo (my singlespeed) for a 100mm fork. Perfection! I'd always liked the bike but felt the handling was just a bit skiddish, the slight increase in fork travel really dialed it in. I haven't noticed any problems in climbing ability, just a more balanced feel and ever-so-slightly slower steering. But you might have geometry that's perfect already, it just depends.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Back when 80mm forks were the norm, I swapped out to 100mm models. The slacker head angle was nicer for stability, but crappy for handling tight stuff. Also, the raised bottom bracket made the handling worse.

Fast forward to about a year ago, and I had a 100mm fork on my Surly 1x1. The frame was designed for about an 80mm fork. I swapped out the 100 fork for a Surly rigid fork, with the axle to crown measurement which is about the same as an 80 with the proper sag, and the bike handles tight stuff so much better. The bottom bracket height is also greatly improved. On the other side, the head angle is about a degree steeper, which makes it more squirly on the steep stuff.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for replying to my question. I have my eye on the U-Turn Reba and Recon forks from Rockshox. It appears they are adjustable from 85mm to 115mm of travel. I am leaning more towards the 351 U-Turn Recon because it is in the price range that I am looking for, but the Reba seems a bit more durable. How does the adjustments work? Do I just turn a knob and the fork adjusts to the proper travel? Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yep you just turn a knob....

and the travel increases or decreases. And most U-turn forks have markings on the U-turn side stanchions so you have a good idea of where you are at in the adjustment range. As for a difference between the durability of the Recon vs the Reba, not an issue. Where you get into the differences between the forks are the technology. The Recon 326 uses standard dampers and a solo air spring system (non adjustable negative air chamber), the 351 gets an upgrade to motion control damping which includes a compression damping circuit and lock out. The Reba line comes standard with Dual Air, Motion control damping, and an adjustable "flood gate" for the lock out. That's where your price diferential comes in. It's one of the things that I've noticed with Rock Shox since SRAM bought them out. The quality and durability of the forks all across the RS line is no longer an issue. Each fork whether the lowly Dart 1 or the Boxxer World Cup are built to the same standards of quality. The difference is in the Tech and materials that go into each fork. This is as it should be. So you can buy either fork with confidence that it will be a solid performer in it's price range. The differences will be in performance and adjustability. As far as performance goes the Recon and Reba perform quite similarly, the Reba gets the edge due to it's greater adjustability and fine tunning of that performance.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your advice and opinions. After looking at all the different forks, I think that the Rockshox adjustable forks will be my best bet. This will allow me to play with the travel setting that will suite me best. Thanks Again for all your post and informative knowledge.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
dayten said:
Thank you for replying to my question. I have my eye on the U-Turn Reba and Recon forks from Rockshox. It appears they are adjustable from 85mm to 115mm of travel. I am leaning more towards the 351 U-Turn Recon because it is in the price range that I am looking for, but the Reba seems a bit more durable. How does the adjustments work? Do I just turn a knob and the fork adjusts to the proper travel? Thanks again for your input.
Yes, you dial the knob to lower or raise the travel, takes several turns to go from min to max.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.