Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bianchimtb
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question.
I have a bike that reccomends 80mm of front travel. I have a 120mm fork, can I through it on.
What are the consequences??

G

·
Assuming you ran 10% sag on the 80mm (8mm) and will run 25% sag on the 120mm (30mm), you are really raising your front end 18mm (120-30=90mm vs. 80-8=72mm). Not as large a difference as you might first think. However, you will (most definitely or theoretically - take you pick) feel the difference when climbing (hard to keep front end behaving), on tight switchback (front will tend to go wide), and on fast downhills (you'll love it). But I'm not an engineer, so what do I know. You already have it, so throw it on an go ride it. I love experimenting with Frankenbike stuff like that! Gotta post back and let us know how it worked.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yup i say go for it! but do check the head tube for cracks before and after each ride. i'm no engineer either but i've heard some riders use forks w/ longer travel, longer than the manufacturers recommendation and so far no broken head tubes. i use a TALAS on my 100 mm fs bike and i think its perfect. 140 on steep downhills, 120 on regular training/ trailing, 100 on climbs and races. just play around w/ the sag set up i personally like it low specially if its on 120 & 140mm. makes it more sensitive on small bumps.
goodluck and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Um, the frame is designed for an 80mm fork..................... :rolleyes:

The 120 is going to slacken the steering a good bit which will make the bike handle slow and make technical climbing really suck. Not to mention, just because you have a longer travel fork on there doesn't mean the frame can handle what the fork can.

What kind of fork is it? Fox's can be easily lowered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.