Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I’ve just gotten a dual air fork reduced from 5 to 3” of travel. I’ve heard from everybody I’ve talked to and read in every forum that the suggested psi in the RS manual was too high but I find it way too low. I setup the psi in both the pos and neg travel according to the manual and it felt way too soft, I was using 80% of travel just on stand over. Took it off a couple 2 footers and it did not bottom but... I bumped it up 20 psi higher then what they said and still I use up 50% of travel just standing on the bike. Even when I was running the fork at 5” I had it higher. The big downfall with having it higher is that it kicks back/ does not handle small bumps very well. If I put the comp knob to 3/4 and the gate closed it feels ok on stand over but I don't get to use the "whole" 3" of travel...

Is the sug psi with gear (helmet/ bag) on?

What I’m wondering here is whether the fork will bottom at the suggested psi or if once I hit the trails it will be ok. Also could I run it at the suggested psi and play with the compression / rebound to get it to not to use all the travel on small bumps?

thanks

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
Same with my Reba 100mm

I know exactly what you mean about the fork riding low. My own 'fix' was to use lower pressures in both pos and neg chambers (still roughly equal pressure, around 80+ve and 75-ve at the mo') to gain a plusher ride.

It still rides a little low just being on the bike as you say, but it doesn't seem to really effect the ride for what I'm doing. I am about 165lbs RTR, but have yet to even get close to bottoming the fork, as it ramps up a fair bit in the last 1.5 in of travel.

I would say the air pressures to use for your fork model would be a bit different from the Reba, but you can try the above in small increments and see if it helps you.

P.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,
I'll have to look into it cause I'm the same weight as you and I'm running the fork at 125/ 120 psi with the comp at 3/4. Maybe I'm too worried about it bottoming. It still feels quite plush, but maybe that's cause I've been riding fully rigid waiting for this thing to come back from warranty...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.