Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
My 80mm fork has barely any sap at all. <5mm. It's not a super plush fork. The only adjustment is air pressure, and I don't like a fork that dives too much under braking.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Manuals do tell what recommended sag is, but it's quite wide limit. For my Manitou R7 it's something between 12 and 16mm. Next to that, when I set my air pressure so, that sag was somewhere in these limits, I was getting out something like 50-55mm of travel (air pressure was around 130psi). After that I started to experiment a bit, and lowered pressure to 110-115psi and all of a sudden I'm getting around 75mm of travel. But I just don't care anymore if sag is really between 12 and 16mm, or if it's a bit more. Fork works much better when set this way, as it did before, when it was set "by the rule" :)
PS: Pressure calculated out of riders weight (I forgot formula) is even more off. For me it should be somewhere around 140-145psi, and it felt like I would be riding rigid fork :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.