Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a all mountain rider( mostly xc, but some hard down hilling and minor drops) Im 6'3 240lbs and recently had my XL 06 GT i-drive 4.0 f/s stolen and need a new ride. The things i didnt like about the gt are how high the seat was when downhilling and the unsturdy feel of it going fast downhill. Im debating between ibex and Iron horse, while im leaning towards IH because they' re cheaper and have more of a reputation, but ibex seems to be far lighter. My question is, should i go for the ibex ignition 3($800), IH yakuzo Bakuto hardtail($600), Ih warrior expert hardtail($500), or the IH warrior DS full suspension at $700?
Also, i prefer full suspension because of the smooth ride, but im open to a hardtail to to price and weight, but i havent ridden a hardtail in so long i dont know if it could handle intermediate downhilling.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Go full suspension

Given what you've described as your weight, riding style and personal preference, I would buy another full suspension rig. Granted, your money will buy a better spec'd hardtail, but the IH Warrior Pro and Ibex Ignition 3 are both nice bikes for the price. From there, it's a matter of which one you feel most comfortable with.

Bob

·
Registered
233 Posts
Either the Ignition or warrior DS...Here is a link to the Warrior pro DS for 699..not sure if this is the one you had already looked at or not

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7988/.f?sc=7&category=55#

I'm not sure what you mean by your seat being too high for the downhills. Did the head angle feel to steep? If so the warrior has the slackest head angle. Also the warrior is going to be a bit bigger (at the largest size of the two bikes) which may be beneficial to you. I ride a 21" IH Azure and am 6'2" and it fits me well. Either bike you can always add a quick-release clamp and drop the seat for the technical downhills.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seat height

in regards to the seat height, when i would drop the seat all the way down on my previous gt, the seat and the handle bars were at the same height. For example, if you drew a line from the saddle to the handle bars, that line would be flat. I like the frames that allow you to drop the seat below the level of the handle bars to reduce the center of gravity, which dosent seem likely on the hardtails.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ah, gotcha. Looks like either bike would do that for you...although you may have to cut the seatpost on the ignition so that it would not hit the shock. And yeah, stay away from the hard tails if you really wanna do down hill no matter how low you can drop the seat on one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would there be a huge difference downhilling with a hardtail? obviously there would be no rear suspension, but when DHing, i hug the bike with my legs while out of the saddle. Can you hug the saddle and use your knees as suspension if one where to dh on a hardtail?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
have thought about an AM/FR/DH hardtail??? something like a Santa Cruz chameleon or something???

anyways, in between the Ibex and the IH, my vote goes to Ibex. The IH is a single pivot without a platform. good luck pedalling with that...

On the Ibex you'll get better fork, an air shock. Probably better drive train to as the Ibex are the 07 stuff and IH 06stuff.

Onething about the IH though is that you can run a full length seatpost

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
pedal bob... your pedaling forces are gonna be absorbed by the rear shock... you'll probably face the same thing with the Ibex Ignition but it wont be so bad as that one is running on a 4 bar linkage. It's also coming with an air shock so you could add preasure for the climbs and reduce preassure for the decends...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Unfortunately you will get pedal bob in both bikes...as neither are really that impressive of a design. You can "hug" the saddle with your thighs if that is how you ride but that will really not work like rear suspension. A well designed suspension does more than just limit the jolts your body takes, it also allows the rear wheel to track over objects...which is really the important part. If by downhilling you mean riding up a trail to go down on specefic run, then ride back up and repeat, then taking along the air shock pump would work. If by downhill you mean you ride a 6 mile XC trail with some crazy downhills then taking your pump along would be rather impratical.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone tell me which is the best inexpensive bike company of Ibex, Iron Horse, Or Motobecane from bikes direct? IH looks good and i can test ride some, but they seem way too heavy comapred to the others, Ibex seems to be in the middle in terms of price and value, but motobecane seems to be the most inexpensive of all. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with motobecane?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why ibex exactly? i seriously considered buying a ibex ignition 3 today to find out that it wont ship until februaruy. What the hell, 2 months to ship a bike that i cant ride before buying. Also, the ign. 3 is called an all mountain bike and only has 100mm= 4 inches of suspension, is that not a cross country bike? Also, i looked at the manitou rear shock upgrade for the ibex until i saw the shipment date, but anyways it has lockout; is that worth extra money?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
The 07 Ibex Ignition bikes are not ready to be shipped yet as they're still making them over in Taiwan.

The amount of Travel doesnt determine what kind of bike it is... Hell there are AM/DH/FR hardtails... XC bikes are bikes which are usually under 30lbs and made to go the distance while AM bikes are for taking slightly more abuse then XC bikes but still climbable. I rode a 4" AM bike for a very long time...

Rear shock upgrade? Yes the Radium RL is a much better shock even if it doesnt have a lockout when compared to the Rockshox Bar. Lockouts help with bobbing as i described earlier about pedal strokes being absorbed into the suspension. THe lockout stiffens out the suspension.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
rover2 said:
Can anyone tell me which is the best inexpensive bike company of Ibex, Iron Horse, Or Motobecane from bikes direct? IH looks good and i can test ride some, but they seem way too heavy comapred to the others, Ibex seems to be in the middle in terms of price and value, but motobecane seems to be the most inexpensive of all. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with motobecane?
Motobecane isn't the most inexpensive. Which models are you talking about though?
A few months ago, and I still am looking for my $400 dollar bike...
I am looking at the 500HT, 600HT, and 700HT.

All the reviews had said they were over 30 pounds. Disappointing.
I realized they all come with crappy ass Judy TT forks, they look aesthetically horrible.
The 700HT has promax disc brakes and deore XT derailler wtf? Odd.

I can only say that about those models though, in which they lose terribly in the sub $500 department.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.