Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this bike at my LBS and was wondering if this was a good deal for an extra XC bike in case I have friends/family (most of which are almost the same size as me) without a bike who wants to ride with me. It also happens to be the right size for me as well.

It comes with standard Shimano Deore components and a Judy fork instead of the full blown XTR/SID components, but I was wondering if this was a good deal for the frame alone or is this more money than it's worth? I've checked the reviews and they were all pretty positive 4.7/5.

Duc
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
check out first...

Sounds too good to be true. The frame alone costs more than that.... check out. Might the Brain shock be blown??? some hidden crack???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warp2003 said:
Sounds too good to be true. The frame alone costs more than that.... check out. Might the Brain shock be blown??? some hidden crack???
Should I still buy it if it's a good deal because it's brand new from my LBS with full warranty? I suppose I can get the frame replaced through warranty if that's the case. Maybe even get an upgrade to an 04 if I'm lucky :D, but I'm sure there are no problems as this is a new bike from a large LBS.

Duc
 

·
Just passing through....
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
duc135 said:
Should I still buy it if it's a good deal because it's brand new from my LBS with full warranty? I suppose I can get the frame replaced through warranty if that's the case. Maybe even get an upgrade to an 04 if I'm lucky :D, but I'm sure there are no problems as this is a new bike from a large LBS.

Duc
If this is a reputable bike shop, and it includes the warranty....

Go for it, definitely
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
If you can do so...

Then go for it... but, is it the bike you need??

Aren't the components too underated to get the benefits of the rear suspension design??

What the heck??? For that price you can buy it a new fork or sell it on e-bay for the double at least and get a giant VT.

Run for it now!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Warp2003 said:
Then go for it... but, is it the bike you need??

Aren't the components too underated to get the benefits of the rear suspension design??

What the heck??? For that price you can buy it a new fork or sell it on e-bay for the double at least and get a giant VT.

Run for it now!!!
I'm not to worried about the components. I can always upgrade them when the break (except the fork it'll be off before the bike makes it home). Like I said, it's just an extra bike in case I have a friend who wants to ride with me and doesn't have a bike.

I was also considering buying the bike and selling it on ebay if I decided not to keep it. Would it be wrong to list the bike as brand new if I never ride it?

Duc
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Be honest....

Announce it like "barely used" though people will hardly believe this from an Epic with a lot of downgraded components.

Still you can get fairly 1500 bucks out of it. Check the price of a new Epic frame. 'Cause the people willing to buy a bike like that will dump almost all of the components and get some XTR componentry on that so they will compare it against a new frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Warp2003 said:
Announce it like "barely used" though people will hardly believe this from an Epic with a lot of downgraded components.

Still you can get fairly 1500 bucks out of it. Check the price of a new Epic frame. 'Cause the people willing to buy a bike like that will dump almost all of the components and get some XTR componentry on that so they will compare it against a new frame.
Even though I never rode it and it is fresh from the LBS you wouldn't consider that a new bike? I guess I can see your point (kind of) that it's not from a dealer and they might not get the warranty.

Is there anyone else with any comments on this issue? If I do sell it, I would like to be honest in the description. I would consider it to be new, but I'll go with the majority here.

Duc
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,383 Posts
Sounds like a screaming deal to me...

as long as you like the brain technology. It's got a warranty, who cares if it has a few miles on it? Good move on not letting that fork come home. Let the other stuff wear out. You are very nice to your friends and family (I do the same thing with my spare bikes).
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
On the Specialized website

You can find the Epic S-works '04 frame for US$1950.

From there, I guess you can sell out the bike for a good 1300 or even more.

If you want to keep it... oh, boy I'd like to have a friend who could lend me a Epic for a ride!!! Cool from you.

As for the way to sell it... just say it, "almost new with very few miles and never raced"

If you can't get a deal to your like, just keep it for you... but stop chatting right now and run for the bike or some other guy will get a hold on it!!!! I would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I can go right now, but need to work for the money to get the bike.

Warp2003 said:
\
If you can't get a deal to your like, just keep it for you... but stop chatting right now and run for the bike or some other guy will get a hold on it!!!! I would.
If I only could. I can't get there until tomorrow morning. :( I hope it's still there. Wish me luck.

Duc
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
I'll keep...

my fingers crossed...

I know how it feels to wait for a bike you want that bad!!!

Godspeed!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet!

Warp2003 said:
my fingers crossed...

I know how it feels to wait for a bike you want that bad!!!

Godspeed!!
Went to the shop after work (forced to do OT last minute :mad: ) and was able to get the bike and an extra frame. :D I already have a couple of interested buyers for the frame.

Duc
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Lucky You!!!

Darn lucky guy!!!!

I hope you enjoy both new bike and else...

What frame did you get??? They've giving the store away...

I might be buying either a frame or a bike soon next year. I hope to be as lucy as you.

There was an expo here in Mexico City last weekend and I was freaked when I saw a 2001 Jekyll 700 more expensive than a '03/'04 Jekyll 600.... I mean, dealers here have air in their head.... a Votec bike for around US$5000??? For that money you can buy a full blown Spec Enduro S-Works!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Early Christmas

duc135 said:
I saw this bike at my LBS and was wondering if this was a good deal for an extra XC bike in case I have friends/family (most of which are almost the same size as me) without a bike who wants to ride with me. It also happens to be the right size for me as well.

It comes with standard Shimano Deore components and a Judy fork instead of the full blown XTR/SID components, but I was wondering if this was a good deal for the frame alone or is this more money than it's worth? I've checked the reviews and they were all pretty positive 4.7/5.

Duc
Specialized must've made WAY too many of these. My riding partner just got an '03 S-Works Epic (same one as yours?) with a full blown SID World Cup for $1099 frame/fork. They're practically giving the things away. Don't know if I like the fork, but the same LBS is selling frame-only for $799. Smokin deal either way IMHO and it sounds like you got yours even cheaper. I'm not due for a new frame until at least next year, but this has got me itching to pull the trigger a little early. Enjoy the bike!!! Epic S-Works for a spare!!! Now I've heard EVERYTHING.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
duc135 said:
Went to the shop after work (forced to do OT last minute :mad: ) and was able to get the bike and an extra frame. :D I already have a couple of interested buyers for the frame.

Duc
Hey, which bike shop did you get this from, I am going to check that out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Warp2003 said:
Darn lucky guy!!!!

I hope you enjoy both new bike and else...

What frame did you get??? They've giving the store away...

I might be buying either a frame or a bike soon next year. I hope to be as lucy as you.

There was an expo here in Mexico City last weekend and I was freaked when I saw a 2001 Jekyll 700 more expensive than a '03/'04 Jekyll 600.... I mean, dealers here have air in their head.... a Votec bike for around US$5000??? For that money you can buy a full blown Spec Enduro S-Works!!!
Got the 03 S-Works Epic complete bike in a medium, which I might keep after all, and an 03 S-Works Epic frame in an XL for dirt cheap.

Duc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry man!

BigBull said:
Hey, which bike shop did you get this from, I am going to check that out!
It was at the Performance in N. Torrance. They took over a shop there and were clearing out their old inventory that they acquired. I took the last ones though.

Duc
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top