Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i converted an xc bike to be more of an urban/dj bike, this bke originally had a 80mm< or so rock shox fork, that i replaced with a sr suntour duro d fork with 130 mm or travel, will this make the bike less safe?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lolz i guess i should have wrote "i modified my xc to still be an xc bike made for trails and decsents, but aswell as the occasional jump or two" so it will be fine right? ive heard some mixed feelings bout the duro fork is it an alright fork?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
if you extend the axle to crown length (especially on an xc frame) over what it was designed around, not only will it wack out the geometry, but it will put more stress and forces on the headtube welds. basically a recipe for disaster in most cases.

like sittingduck said:
You will be breaking everything on that bike soon enough, start saving for some decent parts now!
exactly what you will be doing, but I'm not saying you can't mess around with your bikes, swapping stuff out and trying other things can be really fun, and a good way to learn things first hand and get a good taste of what bike building is all about.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lolz well a regular 80 mm fork has a ride height of what about 460 mm-490mm? and my 130 mm travel fork measures around 470 (not sure what travel setting i am at, but its almost max) so i think it should be fine

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well with all due fairness i took the measurements of a newer 80 mm fork not the old manitou sx e fork the bike came with and compared

because i couldnt find the measurements of that fork and dont have it either

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.