Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm new to mountain biking and would like some help.
I have a Hardtail 29er bike with rock shox tora.
The bike came set at 100 mm, with red spring (medium), motion control.
The front shock can be set to 80, 100, 120mm, if you change the setting what does it change.
I have been reading that down hill bikes have more travel.
My riding style is trails, rocks, roots, no jumps, or extreme.
It takes to long to heal up now days.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The fork settings of 80mm (3.1"), 100mm (3.9"), and 120mm (4.7"), refers to the forks travel, i.e. how much the fork is capable of compressing. The Tora, as with many of Rock Shox offerings, use internal spacers to set the travel. Spacers can be added to reduce the travel or removed to increase the travel. This will also decrease or increase the overall length of the fork respectively, by the same amount of the travel increase or decrease. But changing the travel + or - doesn't just affect the fork travel.

The frame geometry of your bike was likely designed around a 100mm travel fork. So the head tube and seat tube angles, weight distribution, etc. were designed to give the best handling, ride, etc. with the fork at it's current ride height. Increasing the height of the fork (more travel, 120mm) will move rider weight more to the rear, and slow the steering down a bit. This usually results in a bike that is more difficult to climb with, but will be more stable when descending. Reducing the fork length (less travel, 80mm) will move rider weight more to the front of the bike and quicken the steering a bit. This usually makes the bike climb better but descending can be a bit sketchy.

Unless you have a reason to change the travel one way or the other, it's usually better to stick with what the bike was designed for. However, if you do want to change the travel it does require some disassembly of the fork and addition or removal of spacers. Unless of course the fork has the "Uturn" feature, which is Rock Shox external travel adjustment system. Not likely though as you'd know it if it did. You'll also need the proper tools and the correct fork oil for replacement purposes.

Anyway, that's what the 80, 100, and 120 are all about.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the help, if it wasn't for the forum and folks like yourself, I wouldn't have any resource for information, the bike shop here tries but I find they are limited in their knowledge of bikes. A older fellow own's the shop and doesn't know much about the newer stuff like shocks, suspension and such, but he really tries.
Thanks again for the help

Charlie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.