Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do i have to change anything on my bike besides the shifters and chain and cassette to "upgrade" to an 8 speed setup? will my hub be fine or are there any other issues to deal with? kinda sick of having 18 speeds, i only use like ten so why not get rid of the slackers:thumbsup: also where can i find 8 speed x-9 shifters. the sram website has listings of them being available, but i cant find a site with them. aebike is a no go and speedgoat is out as well. thanks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You'll definitely need a new rear hub/wheel. In addition you'll probably need new front and rear derailleurs as well.If your bike is an existing 6 speed rear and aluminum, you may have a problem as I believe the spacing is different. Aluminum doesn't like to be bent to allow a 135mm spread while steel is more forgiving.

Have you looked into either buying a used bike in good shape or a new inexpensive one?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lebikerboy said:
You'll definitely need a new rear hub/wheel. In addition you'll probably need new front and rear derailleurs as well.If your bike is an existing 6 speed rear and aluminum, you may have a problem as I believe the spacing is different. Aluminum doesn't like to be bent to allow a 135mm spread while steel is more forgiving.

Have you looked into either buying a used bike in good shape or a new inexpensive one?
sorry i didnt have the time to be specific. i am currently running a 2x9 setup and want to "upgrade" to an 8 speed system. i got rid of the big ring after it became a bash guard on the rocks. im running a 36/24 setup up front with an 11-34 in back, i was thinking of keeping the same cassette range but with an 8 speeder, also thinking of getting a 26 tooth granny. maybe even a 28 if i can find it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yea you basically got it covered you just need chain cassette and really just the right side shifter you can re-use your left one since its the same either way, but as far as the X-9 in 8spd I have never seen one. No new hub is required.

There are several places that sell XT in 8spd, but my suggestion is to email SRAM about it, since I figure you are running a SRAM rear derailleur you probably can't use the XT. But in all honesty an 8spd won't really do anything for you as far as an "upgrade" it truely isn't much lighter and the weight since the chain is thicker, also finding a good 8spd chain is a bit harder than finding a 9spd chain.

I am running an 8spd set up, at no point do I feel when I'm riding like I need 9spd, but when it comes time to get replacement shifters/chains/cassettes I sometimes wish I did since right now many of the parts are much easier to get a hold of.

If you simply want less gears since you don't use them, losing one gear in the rear really won't change much, save your money and invest in something else IMHO.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
pwrtrainer said:
kinda sick of having 18 speeds.
The fact that your bike currently has six speeds on the rear makes upgrading to eight tougher than usual. The spacing in between the rear dropouts must be 130mm or 135mm. What components are on your bike now and what year was it made?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Zanetti said:
The fact that your bike currently has six speeds on the rear makes upgrading to eight tougher than usual. The spacing in between the rear dropouts must be 130mm or 135mm. What components are on your bike now and what year was it made?
If you read the above post he said he is running a 2x9 set up so it is 18 speeds by a lack of big chain ring not by only 6 in the rear.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
You can get 8 speed X9

pwrtrainer said:
do i have to change anything on my bike besides the shifters and chain and cassette to "upgrade" to an 8 speed setup? will my hub be fine or are there any other issues to deal with? kinda sick of having 18 speeds, i only use like ten so why not get rid of the slackers:thumbsup: also where can i find 8 speed x-9 shifters. the sram website has listings of them being available, but i cant find a site with them. aebike is a no go and speedgoat is out as well. thanks
You can get 8 speed X9 shifters but only in grippers which by the way are TOTALLY AWESOME. I run the 8 speed X9 grippers with the 07 X9 rear derailleur and all I can say is WOW. As of late they do not have X9 8 speed triggers but do have X7 triggers. I hear they are going to make available 8 speed X9 triggers but we'll see what happens. That being said I prefer the grippers much more as they are much lighter and way more durable and the shifting is first class.

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=LD4844

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
danoalb said:
You can get 8 speed X9 shifters but only in grippers which by the way are TOTALLY AWESOME. I run the 8 speed X9 grippers with the 07 X9 rear derailleur and all I can say is WOW. As of late they do not have X9 8 speed triggers but do have X7 triggers. I hear they are going to make available 8 speed X9 triggers but we'll see what happens. That being said I prefer the grippers much more as they are much lighter and way more durable and the shifting is first class.

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=LD4844
i had the gripshifters on my xtr setup and loved them but once i had to flick a boofer and endoed off (true story) and cant fully compress my left index finger, so no go on one finger brake jobs. which i had to in order to use the shifters. i think ill save my money since there isnt really a need to go lower except for my being an oddball. i do think though im going to change my granny to a 28 tooth and my middle to a 38 tooth.

·
what's for lunch today?
158 Posts
pwrtrainer said:
sorry i didnt have the time to be specific. i am currently running a 2x9 setup and want to "upgrade" to an 8 speed system. i got rid of the big ring after it became a bash guard on the rocks. im running a 36/24 setup up front with an 11-34 in back, i was thinking of keeping the same cassette range but with an 8 speeder, also thinking of getting a 26 tooth granny. maybe even a 28 if i can find it.
does anyone make a 11-34 cassette in 8s? i think the super-cheap 'Megarange' Shimano may have a 34t, but they're Megacheapo and not sure if they make 8s let alone cassettes (instead of freewheels). if you find a quality 11-34 8s, post up as i have a 12-32 XTR and might be interested in a 1:1 with a 34t up front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.