Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a late 2000's Giant Yukon hardtail that needs a new crankset. It is square taper, triple ring 22/32/42, 8 speed.

I bought a Shimano 22/32/42, but it doesn't fit (Altus FC-M311). There are some tabs on the back that prevents it seating on the square taper Upon closer inspection, the original crankset is SR Suntour.

So far, I haven't had much success finding anything 8 speed compatible in stock.

Options so far:

SR Suntour XCT Jr. Crankset (9 speed, but inexpensive)
SR Suntour XCC Crankset, 175 x 42/32/22 (8 speed, expensive and sold out most places)
truvativ isoflow 22/32/42 (seems to be obsolete)

Any suggestions or comments?
20210514_022626757_iOS.jpg 20210514_022638558_iOS.jpg
Pictures attached: original crank and shimano crank

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,293 Posts
Check with your local bike shop first. If they don’t have anything, eBay is your best option.

Be prepared to pay full price. All components are in very high demand right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sram S-600. It's 22/32/42. Square taper, not too expensive, and available.

I used it as a direct swap for some busted Truvative Isoflow on my old 8 speed.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I am certain that your old crank uses 110, or thereabouts, spindle length, while the current 'standard' for square taper cranks is 122.5mm. Thus when you install new crank on old spindle - it wants to sit deeper.

The tabs are to prevent the chain getting jammed between the crank and bb shell.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've run into this when rebuilding older bikes and, like above, I just installed a longer spindle BB.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Any idea where I can find a 73/122.5 BB? Everyone seems to be sold out
I haven't purchased one in awhile but always bought Shimano UN55's from Jenson, but I'm sure they are hard to come by from any retailer. And to answer your prior question, yes, the newer cranks set on the square taper deeper so chainline shouldn't be an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts