Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Time to replace shifters and drivetrain. Considering "upgrading" to 8-speed cassette from a 9-speed. I've broken so many 9-speed chains over the years that I can't help but wonder if switching to a wider 8-speed chain would be beneficial. Plus, derailleur adjustment isn't as touchy with 8-speeds instead of 9.
Here's my particular plan:
**Front shifter--grip shift (something low profile). I'm currently running a double up front with an LX derailleur. I'm debating the switch to grip shift too.
**Rear shifter--possibly SRAM "rapidfire" (or what ever there tradename equivalent is). I'm currently running a 9-speed LX shifter.
Get new cassette, chain, and chainrings. I already have new XT front and rear derailleurs.

Any input?

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Oliver said:
My vote is for 8 speed, it stays in tune longers and the chains are stronger to boot. I also like Sram chains over Shimano. They seem to hold up better.
Yeah, I'm running a SRAM chain too. It's been broken around 15 times--I just keep replacing links. I tried to put a new chain on my bike, but it kept skipping because the chainrings and cassette are soo worn--this current chain is the only one that will work and it's definitely seen better days!

Ok, that's one vote for 8-speed, any others?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Primus said:
Yeah, I'm running a SRAM chain too. It's been broken around 15 times--I just keep replacing links. I tried to put a new chain on my bike, but it kept skipping because the chainrings and cassette are soo worn--this current chain is the only one that will work and it's definitely seen better days!

Ok, that's one vote for 8-speed, any others?
That could be why they keep breaking. Have you tried to replace the cassette and chain at the same time? As for Chains, make sure to get PC 971 or higher. I have seen several articles in Mountain bike action magazine about de-evolution of the drivetrain. Switching form 9 back to 8 for all of these reasons.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd say 9 and go single rin in the front.

oh... if chain is your problem and already try the Sram PC99 go for a Wippermann chain.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I use 8 speed, SRAM rear der. and shifter, and Shimano chain and cassette. The Shimano steel XTR 12-32 cassette is one of the best gear spreads I've ridden. I've looked at 9 speed gear spreads, and I don't think there's much to gain there unless you're always in the 2nd chainring. I find the 8 speed Shimano chain shifts a little better than SRAM IMHO. Once properly set up, I can ride my 8 speed bikes for unbelieveably long periods without any fuss or adjustment. The combination of SRAM rear der. and shifter with 8 speed cassette has got to be the most troublefree drivetrain I've seen.

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Oliver said:
That could be why they keep breaking. Have you tried to replace the cassette and chain at the same time? As for Chains, make sure to get PC 971 or higher. I have seen several articles in Mountain bike action magazine about de-evolution of the drivetrain. Switching form 9 back to 8 for all of these reasons.
(I'm typing this for the second time, something glitched)
====
Replacing the cassette and the chain (and the chain rings) is exactly what I'm doing. I'm just deciding whether I should go 8 or 9 speed. As for running a single up front: I happen to live in a MC Escher painting--everywhere you turn you're going uphill, and at 8,000' above sea level, you're gonna want a granny gear!

It looks like the general consensus is 8 speed. Now it's time to decide on grip shift or "rapidfire" for the front. Also, anybody got any good advice on a front shifter (8 speed I guess). I do prefer the rapidfire, but am getting sick of Shimano ****. Damnn the man!
So, any ideas?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Primus said:
Time to replace shifters and drivetrain. Considering "upgrading" to 8-speed cassette from a 9-speed. I've broken so many 9-speed chains over the years that I can't help but wonder if switching to a wider 8-speed chain would be beneficial. Plus, derailleur adjustment isn't as touchy with 8-speeds instead of 9.
Here's my particular plan:
**Front shifter--grip shift (something low profile). I'm currently running a double up front with an LX derailleur. I'm debating the switch to grip shift too.
**Rear shifter--possibly SRAM "rapidfire" (or what ever there tradename equivalent is). I'm currently running a 9-speed LX shifter.
Get new cassette, chain, and chainrings. I already have new XT front and rear derailleurs.

Any input?
8 speed and 9 speed cover the same range, so your old derailleurs will work. Since they put one more gear in the same amount of space, they have to make everything thinner, which is why 9 speed chains are more vulnerable.

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Sudo said:
grip shift suck. a bike at the LBS had some, i tried to pull up over a large curb and shifted. you really have to keep your hands right on the edge of the grips.
That's my concern. But is this really an issue? Everybody I know that rides grip shift says that it very rarely happens. I know that I don't like to have the shifter part of the grip a lot bigger than the rest of the grip. All I would need to find is a low profile grip, but the shorty version, i.e., not the one that takes half the grip length.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Primus said:
That's my concern. But is this really an issue? Everybody I know that rides grip shift says that it very rarely happens. I know that I don't like to have the shifter part of the grip a lot bigger than the rest of the grip. All I would need to find is a low profile grip, but the shorty version, i.e., not the one that takes half the grip length.
It may sound crazy, but how about a trigger shifter for the rear, and a gripshift for the front. That way you can trim the front if you are runnig a large amount of cross chain.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Oliver said:
It may sound crazy, but how about a trigger shifter for the rear, and a gripshift for the front. That way you can trim the front if you are runnig a large amount of cross chain.
Actually quite a few people run their rigs this way. I used to do that with my Norco.

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Oliver said:
This is exactly what I was saying I was going to do. All I need to know now is what shifters I should get. I want a grip shift for the front and I want a trigger-type shifter for the rear. Anyone got any beta on SRAM's trigger shifters?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Primus said:
This is exactly what I was saying I was going to do. All I need to know now is what shifters I should get. I want a grip shift for the front and I want a trigger-type shifter for the rear. Anyone got any beta on SRAM's trigger shifters?
the best on the market....run an X9 before you run an X 0

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
the best on the market....run an X9 before you run an X 0
Sorry, been out of the bike biz since '02, so enlighten me by elaborating what X9 or X0 is/are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.