Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys know, I am building up a new frame, and now I am in the process of purchasing some components. I am picking out my cassette now. I know it will be from SRAM, and I know I will be using this bike for downhill and freeride, so which speed cassette should I go with? If theres a specific one from SRAM that is any better than the rest, please let me know the number.

Thanks, Shredder111:cool:

G

·
shredder111 said:
As you guys know, I am building up a new frame, and now I am in the process of purchasing some components. I am picking out my cassette now. I know it will be from SRAM, and I know I will be using this bike for downhill and freeride, so which speed cassette should I go with? If theres a specific one from SRAM that is any better than the rest, please let me know the number.

Repeat question:
8 spd or 9 spd?
your shifter and chain also reflects this

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know. Yes, I am asking whether to get a 8 speed cassette or 9 speed cassette for downhill and freeride. According to the answers you write, I will choose the appropriate chain and shifters.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I prefer 9-speed because I work on my bikes all the time so the added ratios help me, without the reliability aspect getting annoying.

If you want bombproof go 8-speed, but realize your options are very limited as far as what to run.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
niner...it is nice to have that extra gear...especilally if you are running a single speed
That doesn't make any sense. 9 speed gets tighter ratios for the same range. You can get an 11-34 8-speed cassette, it'll just have really far gaps.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
8 speed I've found to be soo much better. 9 speed the gears are just mashed closer together. 9 speed uses quite a smaller chain (not as strong?) you bump your RD on something and your shifting gets all screwed up.

I've found 8sp to be so much less maintenence.

G

·
todd_freeride said:
8 speed I've found to be soo much better. 9 speed the gears are just mashed closer together. 9 speed uses quite a smaller chain (not as strong?) you bump your RD on something and your shifting gets all screwed up.

not ture, they are the same strength....

I too prefer 8 spd with a single ring up front. Less shifting!
I am: 38T with 11-32 cassette (sram pg 850)
sram x7 8spd shifter
sram x9 der.
sram PC 68 chain

works awesome

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a 11-28 shimano XT cassete,E-13 38T glidering, alivio shifter, and a 2007 normal pull short cage LX. works awesome. The shifter may sound weack (it is) but switches like a dream.

8 speed cult is growing up so get hurry to get your 8 speed xt or xtr cassete, there are not many left.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
not ture, they are the same strength....

I too prefer 8 spd with a single ring up front. Less shifting!
I am: 38T with 11-32 cassette (sram pg 850)
sram x7 8spd shifter
sram x9 der.
sram PC 68 chain

works awesome
thats what I was saying. 8speed is the same length as a 9speed. just further apart. where as 9 speed is the same spaceing, but more gears closer together.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i have 9 speed with x9 and my roomate has 8 speed with lx. when i had deore i had to mess with ghost shifts and what not all the time, however once i went x9 i havent had to touch a think and it shifts GREAT. my roomates lx has worked without any issues. if you go 9 speed go sram x9 for sure and you wont have any problems. the strength of the 8 to 9 is not an issue. good 8 speed stuff is hard to find, like new sram shifters and there is also only like 1 or 2 cassettes for 8 speed. i say 9 speed, sram 9x, xt cassette(sram 970 is like butter), sram 950 chain. thats been working great for me all last season

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I like what I am hearing. I have a few more questions, it may sound silly but are Sram's 8 speed cassettes less strong than 9 speed? I heard that they are only strong enough for street. Is there any difference in strength in between 8 and 9 speed? Right now I am running a 8 speed setup on my Haro with a X7 and 8 speed chain. It seems great, and I very rarely use the largest cog on the cassette because I mostly stay in the 2345 range for downhill. Do the ratios on a 9 speed allow me the ability to reach higher speeds when pedaling downhill because the cogs are smaller, or does teh extra cog create a even lighter ratio than 8 speed for pedaling uphill? Sometimes the first cog on my 8 speed didn't seem to be cutting it and I was spinning my legs like an onroad cyclist when going downhill:madman:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just run 9 speed. It's not that hard to properly set it up, and it's much easier to find new parts. Shimano's XT 11-32 9 speed cassette is fine. 9 speed chains are plenty strong. You don't want to be that guy who breaks a shifter (or even just a chain) at Whister and has to ride some janky, rigged set up until he gets home and finds the right 8 speed component. 9 speed is much easier to find quality parts for, works quite well, and isn't any more expensive. It's just cool and trendy to assume the commmon place parts aren't up to snuff, but in reality, they're just fine.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
if you're doing a lot of DH riding, then 9 is a little nice for variety. you might want to look into just bigger chainrings ? my P.2 is much faster than my DH bike, because my P.2 has a 38tooth up front.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've ridden both, There's hardly any difference. With that said you should get the 9 so when you bash it, you'll waste less time finding a new one.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
todd_freeride said:

Bumb nudge wiggle... when I need a new rear casset... 8speed....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Gear choice depends on the intended application. If you'll be strictly racing downhill. You only really need a max of 23 teeth. I used to run an 11-23 9 speed but the gears were to close together so one frankencassette later, I have an 11-23 7 speed cassette with a 34t chainring. However if I planned on pedaling this bike uphill (ever), I would run 11-32 (9 speed) with 22t/36t chainrings in the front.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.