Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to install an 8 speed cassette on a 7 speed hub (if for eg remove one coq) so it can work with 8 speed pods? Thanks

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to install an 8 speed cassette on a 7 speed hub (if for eg remove one coq) so it can work with 8 speed pods? Thanks
It should work. Spacing on Shimano is 5mm for 7 sp and 4.8mm on 8 sp. You'll wind up with a phantom gear but everything should work. Good idea, let us know how it works.

·
Mmm... Tasty
684 Posts
Don't think anyone is going to care about this reply, but the answer is "you betcha". The freehub body is narrower on a 7sp hub than an 8sp hub (and remained unchanged for 9 and i presume 10sp). Advantage of 7sp hub is less dish on the wheel = stronger wheel. Practically speaking, though, that isn't a huge deal.

Can you run an 8sp cassette on a 7sp body? Sure, just drop off the small cog, add a thin spacer on the back of the cassette to take up the resulting very slight free play (may or may not need that depending on the cassette you use - my experience is with taking the 11t cog off an 11-28 8sp XT cassette). 7sp and 8sp shifters are effectively interchangeable.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Don't think anyone is going to care about this reply, but the answer is "you betcha". The freehub body is narrower on a 7sp hub than an 8sp hub (and remained unchanged for 9 and i presume 10sp). Advantage of 7sp hub is less dish on the wheel = stronger wheel. Practically speaking, though, that isn't a huge deal.

Can you run an 8sp cassette on a 7sp body? Sure, just drop off the small cog, add a thin spacer on the back of the cassette to take up the resulting very slight free play (may or may not need that depending on the cassette you use - my experience is with taking the 11t cog off an 11-28 8sp XT cassette). 7sp and 8sp shifters are effectively interchangeable.
Does Shimano use pins or screws to attach cassettes these days? My older 7 sp cassettes all have screws.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Best option is Eight of nine on seven from Sheldon Brown;
"Any 7-speed Shimano Hyperglide Freehub will actually work with 8 or 9 sprockets, without any modification! What you need to do is to use 8 of the sprockets from a 9-speed cassette, with the 9-speed spacers -- or 9 of the sprockets from a 10-speed cassette.

To make this work, you'll also need to use a 9- or 10-speed chain and shifters. Your old 7-speed derailer (except 1996 or earlier Dura-Ace) should work OK if it isn't too badly worn. Most, but not all, 9- and 10-speed shifters will work.

The limit stops on the derailer will cause the useless position on the shifter to be locked out, so this will work as a perfectly normal 8- or 9-speed rig."

RIP Sheldon!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Best option is Eight of nine on seven from Sheldon Brown;
"Any 7-speed Shimano Hyperglide Freehub will actually work with 8 or 9 sprockets, without any modification! What you need to do is to use 8 of the sprockets from a 9-speed cassette, with the 9-speed spacers -- or 9 of the sprockets from a 10-speed cassette.

To make this work, you'll also need to use a 9- or 10-speed chain and shifters. Your old 7-speed derailer (except 1996 or earlier Dura-Ace) should work OK if it isn't too badly worn. Most, but not all, 9- and 10-speed shifters will work.

The limit stops on the derailer will cause the useless position on the shifter to be locked out, so this will work as a perfectly normal 8- or 9-speed rig."

RIP Sheldon!
I've seen that but never tried it. Have you actually tried it? You could use 8 sp barcons which plentiful and cheap. Neither of which 7 sp barcons are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.