Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for an inexpensive, yet quality (if possible) 8-spd drivetrain replacement? I'm looking to run sram grip shifts, other than that I'm up for anything. I need to replace cranks (have a decent square taper bb), f/r derails, chain, cassette, and shifters. I think I can pull this off at bluesky for under $200 altogether. Any better pricing options? Thanks

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
New 8-speed drivetrain

I can put together a decent 8-speed drivetrain with SRAM Attack shifters, and a mix of Deore and new Alivio parts for about $150. Cranks, chain, cassette, derailleurs, shifters, and cables. Write me at [email protected] and I'll ship you the group.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Carb said:
Any suggestions for an inexpensive, yet quality (if possible) 8-spd drivetrain replacement? I'm looking to run sram grip shifts, other than that I'm up for anything. I need to replace cranks (have a decent square taper bb), f/r derails, chain, cassette, and shifters. I think I can pull this off at bluesky for under $200 altogether. Any better pricing options? Thanks
Sure. $183 and decent quality. Check everything on qbike.com and price match anything you find at lower prices. You could probably knock off $15

Shimano Deore Crankset SH-FCM510 $45 (Nashbar)
SHIMANO XT FD-M750 FRONT DERAILLEUR $25 (Jensonusa)
Shimano Deore Rear Derailleur $26 (Performance bike)
SRAM PC-68 8SP CHAIN $19 (Jensonusa)
SRAM POWERGLIDE PG-850 8SP CASSETTE $19 (Jensonusa)
SRAM ROCKET TWIST SHIFTERS 8 SPEED $49 (Jensonusa)
TOTLA: $183

·
2,250 Posts
Hobart said:
7.0 set for about $24.00. To the previous post, don't Rockets only work with Shimano stuff?
Yea. Good catch. I just grabbed the first derailleur and didn't think about it. Post above was fixed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input...I basically ended up with tlg's suggestion minus the shifters. I have some esp 9 shifters that area still in good shape so decided to hold off on those. I also got the sram x-gen front derail and x-7 rear derail. That basically puts me down to shimano v-brakes and cranks being the only shimano parts on my bike, both of which are pretty good quality for the money. Now time to start shopping for my new burner.

·
2,250 Posts
ET_SoCal said:
Add cost of shipping from 3 places...
Not quite. Pick one and price match the stuff. Order it all from one place. I just grabbed stuff at random to show that it can be done for under $200.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.