Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
You just love that bigger is better feeling don't ya........, think eight is cutting it close, FM may be the only one to answer that..........why not 185 in the back?????(7")

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
And you're not locking up the rear at all??????........Could always just do the front first and see how that goes.......(you're just getting ready to switch to a SuMo;)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TiEndo said:
And you're not locking up the rear at all??????........Could always just do the front first and see how that goes.......(you're just getting ready to switch to a SuMo;)
I was heating up the rear and just as smelly as the front. That was on the Avid BBDS's but I destroyed a caliper last weekend on a descent. The proposed set is 8" Hayes front and back because someone local removed then off his new bike. I would get a bonzer deal.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I forget who, but somebody here was running 203mm rotors F&R on a motolite at some point, so I'm pretty sure it can be done....

larger rear rotors do put more stress on the chainstays, but the motolite seems to be pretty well built in that area. I have seen guys brake chainstays on other brands, and have MFG's not honor their warranty since they did not approve use of 8" rotors. (rhymes with smellsgirth) ;)

Anyways.....I only went to 8" F&R on my FR bike after riding a bunch at whistler bike park, that's probably the only place I've felt like a 6" rotor didn't cut it in back. Front I say, go big! Thats where all your braking happens and it does make an incredible difference, well worth it on any bike I'd say. But in back, the difference between 6" and 8"... well it was a subtle difference for me. Bigger dudes might find it more worthwhile though.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Do It!

All Mountain said:
I was heating up the rear and just as smelly as the front. That was on the Avid BBDS's but I destroyed a caliper last weekend on a descent. The proposed set is 8" Hayes front and back because someone local removed then off his new bike. I would get a bonzer deal.
Should be no problem. Demoslug runs a big rotor in back... when they fit it generaly means you can. :thumbsup:

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
All Mountain said:
If its a good deal then go for it......Hayes are pretty grippy(ie on off feeling) so get it and switch to a 185 if you feel its too much.......but just for the front is worth it if someone's giving you a bonzer deal.........

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ta FM.

6" rotors on the back don't cut it in the steeps at my weight. With a 7" rotor I was still heating it up to the point of almost too hot once every couple of runs. I will look for a smaller rotor if I can't control it. The deal comes with two, so I would just have a spare for the front, and I have been 'asked' to give up the regular steeps anyways.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blackagness said:
Should be no problem. Demoslug runs a big rotor in back... when they fit it generaly means you can. :thumbsup:
Do it !~!~?~? Brother, I almost pulled the trigger on a 66 SL ATA yesterday slightly used. Thankfully I came to my senses today when I asked why it was being sold. He said it was too much fork for his trail bike. After little thought, I politely told him 'same scenario', but no thanks anyways. I can do some stupid things sometimes....

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
All Mountain said:
Ta FM.

6" rotors on the back don't cut it in the steeps at my weight. With a 7" rotor I was still heating it up to the point of almost too hot once every couple of runs.
Thats cool. Are you 8" in front? That would definitely help! As for me, I am running 4-pot shimanos which make pretty much any size rotor feel big. Go for it, why not!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run Hope Mono M6's with 203mm rotors front and rear. I do this because I'm over 240 lbs. No problems that I can see on the Motolite. The rear disk is very close to the chain stay, but I've never seen it rub or anything.

Some people have said that large rear rotors are harder to modulate, but the Hope's modulate very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SLOclyde said:
I run Hope Mono M6's with 203mm rotors front and rear. I do this because I'm over 240 lbs. No problems that I can see on the Motolite. The rear disk is very close to the chain stay, but I've never seen it rub or anything.

Some people have said that large rear rotors are harder to modulate, but the Hope's modulate very well.
Thanks SLOclyde :thumbsup:.... from one clyde to another (220 lbs).

And, a big official welcome to mtbr & Titus Forum :cool:

Your motolite is a real looker, great photo.

·
Registered
699 Posts
SLOclyde said:
10-4...that's why I only ride Hopes. I ride an M4 200mm rear on the FXR....I find I can really modulate the braking force with the larger rotor. I guess folks think it's harder cause ya got more brake. But I find the opposite. Ya got so much brake so you can apply just the force ya want. But maybe that's a Hope thing.

I do a lot of trail or drag braking rather than crunching the front. Only really use the front when the going gets fast and furious and even then it's in small doses. Best not to get too friendly with the front brake in my book. :eekster:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
I run 203/180 on my FS and find it sufficient... you most be going real steep/fast, AM! :thumbsup:

As FM has suggested, you try putting the 203 up front and running your 185 rear rotor and adapter, and see if it is enough... but of course since you are getting the whole enchilada.. you could try them both at 203 and "scale down" if necessary....... anyhow.. have fun!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Dropin%Dug said:
I do a lot of trail or drag braking rather than crunching the front. Only really use the front when the going gets fast and furious and even then it's in small doses. Best not to get too friendly with the front brake in my book. :eekster:
But dragging damages the trail... personally I brake more with my front and never drag any of the brakes unless I am crashing or something jumps in my path...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
yeah, I got the FR lowers on my motolite just to run an 8'' rear disk. PS. you have to have the FR lowers. does not fit with the 2005 lowers. also, depending on the weld on the chainstay, you may have to file the weld down to get some clearance. but its the same deal for the supermoto. and depends on your hub. ( and I suspect may not fit on ML2's new chain stay) also, I accept that the 8 inchers may lead to the seat stay to fail someday.

the ML braking is not as active as the supermoto, the lock up is still very predictable. and I never had any modulation "issues" even with hayes 8''.

I run the 8s for the added heat capacity. but that really was more of an issue with avids and hayes. sqeaul, fade n boil. and I can honestly say that I toasted them every ride. it was so bad that I realy had to focus on not cooking them. It used to be a big victory fo me to get to the bottom of "braille" with functional brakes.

but that was until I got my formula oros..... they work.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
demo_slug said:
yeah, I got the FR lowers on my motolite just to run an 8'' rear disk. PS. you have to have the FR lowers. does not fit with the 2005 lowers. also, depending on the weld on the chainstay, you may have to file the weld down to get some clearance. but its the same deal for the supermoto. and depends on your hub. ( and I suspect may not fit on ML2's new chain stay) also, I accept that the 8 inchers may lead to the seat stay to fail someday.

the ML braking is not as active as the supermoto, the lock up is still very predictable. and I never had any modulation "issues" even with hayes 8''.

I run the 8s for the added heat capacity. but that really was more of an issue with avids and hayes. sqeaul, fade n boil. and I can honestly say that I toasted them every ride. it was so bad that I realy had to focus on not cooking them. It used to be a big victory fo me to get to the bottom of "braille" with functional brakes.

but that was until I got my formula oros..... they work.
Thanks Demo. Like looking in mirror (except the formula's).

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.