Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Kiss my Grits!
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got stopped tonight by a ranger as we started our ride thru **** 8 (Folsom Point) on our way to Brown's Ravine. He was very cool, but informed us that Homeland Security keeps a close watch on the area with night vision optics and call out the park rangers when they see anyone in the park past dark.

Last week (nite ride) we had a chopper fly over us as we crossed the Mormon Dam and I joked that they were checking up on us. Tonight the ranger told us that sometimes they (Homeland Security) will check on us with a helicopter.

Anyway, the ranger was very polite and understanding, but did ask us to stay away from the **** 8 (Folsom Point) section of the trail.

We turned around and went and rode another area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,264 Posts
Captain_America1976 said:
i think we saw you guys last night. we were in the parking lot of the powerhouse drinking beer after our ride was cut short by 2 new (new to us anyway) no bikes on the trails.
where can we legally ride at night these days?
damn that beer was ****ing good. :thumbsup:

wish i had more...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
It's funny, the rangers have been stepping up patrols at GB at night as well. I've been riding there for years at night and this is the 1st year I really noticed stepped up enforcement. Night riding opportunities are slowly dwindling. Pretty soon there won't be any trails available for us to ride at night.
 

·
Birthday Collector
Joined
·
2,610 Posts
Wow - I guess that is one thing about the East Bay that is still decent... Most of the EBRPD will let you ride at night until 10:00... Admittedly little singletrack (legal anyway) but you can be out there... Hope that things change for the better for you. GB is a fun ride, and I would like to check out more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Yeah, it is disappointing. Park closure used to be 10pm summer and 7pm during the winter but for some reason that's changed and now it's 9pm summer and 6pm winter. Most people get off work at 5pm and that only gives them only a half an hour to ride after getting home, gearing up and getting to the park. Maybe I can work with the folks at Fatrac and the Parks admin and see if we can get a special permit to ride later at night. It might help if I can get a petition going and have most of you local folks sign it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
WillHavoc said:
... Maybe I can work with the folks at Fatrac and the Parks admin and see if we can get a special permit to ride later at night. It might help if I can get a petition going and have most of you local folks sign it.
I second that! :thumbsup:
 

·
Got Twins?
Joined
·
297 Posts
WillHavoc said:
.... Maybe I can work with the folks at Fatrac and the Parks admin and see if we can get a special permit to ride later at night. It might help if I can get a petition going and have most of you local folks sign it.
Believe me, they have. It's not like FATRAC is slow on this, but it's State Parks. Parks has been dragging this on for years. And you have all those homeowners who think they govern the parks property too. I suggest Auburn SRA for night riding over anything in Folsom SRA. IMO.

L8
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I know I shouldn't even have to propose something like this, but I am thinking of pitching the idea of the parks selling special permits to ride later than closing. The state and parks are obviously hurting financially and that's their reason for closing the parks an hour earlier than it used to. So why not make it financially beneficial to the parks and say... a season special permit pass to ride in the park at night during the winter. $10, 15 or even 20. This would go towards whatever trail maintenance or anything else that might benefit the park. I mean, if this keeps us from being harassed or ticketed I wouldn't mind paying $20 to avoid the $270 fine. Which soon I can see them start issuing.

Would kind of be like Tamarancho in Marin. They charge $5 per ride the land which is owned by the Boy Scouts.
 

·
Aquaman
Joined
·
419 Posts
WillHavoc said:
I know I shouldn't even have to propose something like this, but I am thinking of pitching the idea of the parks selling special permits to ride later than closing. The state and parks are obviously hurting financially and that's their reason for closing the parks an hour earlier than it used to. So why not make it financially beneficial to the parks and say... a season special permit pass to ride in the park at night during the winter. $10, 15 or even 20. This would go towards whatever trail maintenance or anything else that might benefit the park. I mean, if this keeps us from being harassed or ticketed I wouldn't mind paying $20 to avoid the $270 fine. Which soon I can see them start issuing.

Would kind of be like Tamarancho in Marin. They charge $5 per ride the land which is owned by the Boy Scouts.
No thanks...I pay taxes already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I pay taxes too, but obviously that's not stopping the parks from closing an extra hour and limiting our riding at night. I don't wanna pay any extra, but if it gives us access to the parks at night then I would be all for it.
 

·
Kiss my Grits!
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Read my lips, "no new taxes"

The ranger explained to me that the crackdown was initiated by Homeland Security, so I don't think it is a revenue issue. Apparently they have developed a bike helmet that fits over the top of a turban, so now we have to close bike trails for fear of terrorists going OTB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,126 Posts
l84biking said:
Believe me, they have. It's not like FATRAC is slow on this, but it's State Parks. Parks has been dragging this on for years. And you have all those homeowners who think they govern the parks property too. I suggest Auburn SRA for night riding over anything in Folsom SRA. IMO.

L8
So are nearby homeowners complaining about noise or people parking in their neighborhoods, or loss of privacy, or what? The solution depends on the perceived problem.

Likewise, if Homeland Security has an issue, it would be helpful if they'd explain it. Risk of sabotage to the dam or powerplant? LSD in the lake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
That is too bad. I haven't been much into night riding but have seen rangers at G-Bay once. It is silly to be patrolling at night anyway, I rarely see people out there near dark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
WillHavoc said:
Yeah, it is disappointing. Park closure used to be 10pm summer and 7pm during the winter but for some reason that's changed and now it's 9pm summer and 6pm winter. Most people get off work at 5pm and that only gives them only a half an hour to ride after getting home, gearing up and getting to the park. Maybe I can work with the folks at Fatrac and the Parks admin and see if we can get a special permit to ride later at night. It might help if I can get a petition going and have most of you local folks sign it.
Like most departments Folsom Lake is low staff so cutbacks had to be made I was told. One of the ways they did it was with reduced hours. If you read the law posted ot the Folsom office It is illegal to be on a bike trail any where around Folsom Lake or lake Natoma after closing. The only exceptions are communters around Lake Natoma who use the trails to get home from work. The law is actually a misdemeanor if your cited for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
ilistennow said:
Like most departments Folsom Lake is low staff so cutbacks had to be made I was told. One of the ways they did it was with reduced hours. If you read the law posted ot the Folsom office It is illegal to be on a bike trail any where around Folsom Lake or lake Natoma after closing. The only exceptions are communters around Lake Natoma who use the trails to get home from work. The law is actually a misdemeanor if your cited for it.
Is it my imagination, or is every post you have ever done exactly the same
 

·
MTB skillz = NADA
Joined
·
724 Posts
bullhorn said:
Is it my imagination, or is every post you have ever done exactly the same
Same theme in every one of them. Basically...Rangers good, Mountain Bikers bad. Maybe I am over analyzing it, but that is what you are supposed to do on an Internet message board...right?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top