Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into night riding around November of last year so I must have missed them, but when do these spiders go do whatever it is they do during the winter months??? I've had to cut my last two rides short because of these things. They are giant and they make there webs across the trails at eye level of someone on a bike...

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
I used to get freaked out and jump off my bike. Now I just ride through em and clean the webs off at the car. We get a lot in Tuscaloosa Alabama.

·
2,989 Posts
Maybe they are this big:

That would suck to run across on the trail. I'm slow so the people in front of me usually clear them for me. On the off chance I do get one across the face I don't mind; I actually feel kind of bad for ruining the spiders home. Not bad enough to stop mountain biking, but bad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Love riding first thing in the morning. The only downside is being the first to break the webs. I have been lucky enough to have had only had one spider get in my mouth. When i weigh the pros and cons; the pros of being the first on the trail win.
-nick

·
Registered
960 Posts
Maybe they are this big:

That would suck to run across on the trail. I'm slow so the people in front of me usually clear them for me. On the off chance I do get one across the face I don't mind; I actually feel kind of bad for ruining the spiders home. Not bad enough to stop mountain biking, but bad.
You're not ruining their home. That is just their fishing line/net and you're too big to eat, otherwise you'd feel different. ;)

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
I used to ride near Tallahassee FL (Apalachicola NF), and I got used to those webs. I could look ahead on the trail and the spiders could feel my vibrations and start running from the center of the web to the edge. Then bam, my face would blast through it, and I'd start wiping web and spider off my face and neck. Feeling a spider on your neck is kind of creepy, but after a while you realize nothing bad is going to happen.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I don't like the arachnids either.
It's funny, I'll get down to within 2ft or less to take pics of rattlers and other nasties, but I hate spiders and ants. :eek:
In all fairness I was bitten by some kind of spider as a kid and had minor auditory hallucinations for a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
There are spiders ALL over. Some experts say that you are never more than 6 feet from a spider.
this includes airplanes, not the space shuttle however. They take special precautions.................
May worse things never happen!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.