Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I just found this sweet 8' drop onto flat in my backyard beside a old creek bed. I was wondering if my 03 jamis eureka could take the drop. I have done a pretty nice 6 footer on it but it's a hardass landing. What would you guys do? take it or ride way like a sissy

·
Registered
337 Posts
why would you want to do an 8 foot drop to flat. Its only going to cost you money, and maybe your frame. Bikes can't take 8 foot drops to flat all day you know. They will break. Personally I tend to ride smart and only do them if there is a trainee at the bottom or a slope.

·
Registered
456 Posts
dudes seriosly

ya I wanta hit the same drop, but Im not getting good vibes, if hyper22 hits it ill hit it. right,

that 6fter isnt on to flat and its still ruff on the bones.

I ride a 03 jamis komodo Z1 fr

·
Registered
558 Posts
bad idea

Unless you guys built a tranny or something i wouldnt do it. I watched my friend do a big stair gap around 8 ft and he shaterd the inside of his hub. Plus, your rims will become pancakes.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
no, i think he should do it. And after that, increase by 2 feet each successive time. Its good.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
hyper22 said:
Hey guys I just found this sweet 8' drop onto flat in my backyard beside a old creek bed. I was wondering if my 03 jamis eureka could take the drop. I have done a pretty nice 6 footer on it but it's a hardass landing. What would you guys do? take it or ride way like a sissy
that would probably be fun, until you find the crack in your frame and your tacoed rims and everything else that you destroyed. go ahead and do it, it seems like you already have your mind set on it.

just don't come back saying man this sucks my frame cracked and i tacoed my rims, and they won't warranty it...

go for it if you want

·
Registered
558 Posts
matt said:
that would probably be fun, until you find the crack in your frame and your tacoed rims and everything else that you destroyed. go ahead and do it, it seems like you already have your mind set on it.

just don't come back saying man this sucks my frame cracked and i tacoed my rims, and they won't warranty it...

go for it if you want
seriously

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
this is the problem with this forum....sometimes it can be hard to seperate truth from fiction...

not that my response would be any different

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I'm with Max.....I started out doing drops to flat (like 6' to 10'). When I finally found a drop with a trannie, I never looked back except to say that I was a dumba$$ fro doing drops to flat in the first place.<p>Keep your bones & hard earned money safe, find a trannie!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah-Yeah

DO IT BUDDY! - and then when you're done let me know if you messed up your frame, rims, etc.. I'm one of those good friends.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
no good will ever come from dropping to flat, if you do it be sure to wish your frame some luck for me because it will break eventually

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
do it...my mates did an 8' ft on his old trekking fox hardtail (was an XC hardtail) and yeh he landed it hard but it looked kool...oh and he snapped his right chainstay about 4 months after...but thats coz the bike sucked...

but yeh if uve got te balls and the skills to pull it off then id say go for it...and unless uve got some wicked hardtail like a morphine or summin hardcore like it then u are going to hurt the bike no matter how smoth u are or think u are...

good luck if u try it...

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
Dude...just build a little tranny. Get a big ass piece of ply-wood, and prop it up on a trashcan...viola! tranny!

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
OMG THAT DROP SOUNDS SUPER! YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SO MUCH FUN! GET READY FOR AN ADRENALINE RUSH LIKE NO OTHER. YOU MIGHT AS WELL CRAP YOUR PANTS RIGHT NOW BECAUSE ITS GOING TO BE SO AWESOME THAT YOU WILL CRAP YOUR PANTS ANYWAY! YOUR JAMIS EUREKA WILL HOLD UP AWESOME.

Seriously, you will look like such a badass when you tell everyone that you did this drop, and of course you will HAVE to add that it was to flat and on a hardtail. After all, drop size IS the determining factor in how awesome a rider u are!

-TP<------only 46% awesome, I am not an all-star huckster like you yet.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts