Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Plus size jersey model
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
8 Days of Christmas Tucson *Updated Rides 3 & 4*

This is my first post on the passion and thought since a major portion of the country is buried under that horrible white stuff what better time. We have a large assortment of group rides that started a few back the would last 8 days from Christmas to the new year and it has just sort of grown recently with almost 15 rides planned this year. So here is our 8 days of Christmas rides.

Hope to have it updated after each ride thru the first of the year so keep checking back.

Dec.22nd Fantasy Island Meteor Shower Ride.

Missed the first couple of rides but was determined to make it out to the F.I. meteor ride tonight and boy was I glad I did. The cloud cover did nothing for the meteor viewing which sucked but instead provided one of the most spectacular sunsets I have ever witnessed. It was just amazing. The group ride was a bust since I was completely late and never found the other guys but had an amazing time non the less.

Not looking to good for meteor shower viewing and not showing a lot of promise for a good sunset either.
Nature Vegetation Natural environment Plant community Landscape

Playing catch up since I was a half hour late to the ride. Never did find anyone.
Soil Geological phenomenon Dirt road Trail
Nature Sky Daytime Cloud Spoke
Nature Sky Natural environment Dusk Red sky at morning
Nature Sky Cloud Natural landscape Landscape
Nature Sunset Red sky at morning Natural landscape Dusk

Have to make sure you keep your eyes on the trail and not on the sunset. Almost had a few runins with the local flora.
Nature Vegetation Natural landscape Natural environment Atmosphere

A bit chilly at the end of the ride.
Technology Display device Gauge Symbol Gas

Nature Natural environment Atmosphere Darkness Night
YES IT IS!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Nice

Beautiful. I love sunsets in Tucson. What trail is that? I went to school at UofA, but wasn't really into mountain biking until I was living in Phx.Now in Texas and I long for the montains and diversity of AZ.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm off to Tucson to visit my family right after the New Year. I may have to borrow my mom's bike and take a quick spin somewhere.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Nice pics. I like the concept of this thread and look forward to seeing more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why did you have to post this? I was just missing tucson this morning.. stupid crappy phoenix. Everywhere in tucson is 5 minutes from a fun ride. Phoenix is flat, boring, and far too commercialized :( At least here I can always find food at 4am.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
DanMach86 said:
Why did you have to post this? I was just missing tucson this morning.. stupid crappy phoenix. Everywhere in tucson is 5 minutes from a fun ride. Phoenix is flat, boring, and far too commercialized :( At least here I can always find food at 4am.
Oh honey... you need to move to a different location in Phoenix and open your eyes. From my perspective, Phoenix is a mountain biker's paradise with South Mountain in my backyard and a bunch of other wonderful trail systems within a 20 to 60 min drive. I wouldn't trade my slice of heaven in Phoenix for anything.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Woah nice stuff. Was to busy drinking and chasing to realize all the wonderful riding during my undergrad/grad work.

Coming back asap!

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Oh honey... you need to move to a different location in Phoenix and open your eyes. From my perspective, Phoenix is a mountain biker's paradise with South Mountain in my backyard and a bunch of other wonderful trail systems within a 20 to 60 min drive. I wouldn't trade my slice of heaven in Phoenix for anything.
agree 100% with my sista here and will like to add: you don't like phoenix? get out! there are no fences or gates holding you in!

to the OP: awesome sunset pics!

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
Ah, Fantasy Island. What a great place to ride! Used to hit it after work on my way home at 1pm(i know, the hottest part of the day:eek:ut: ). Even in summer at 105 degrees it was always fun. Really well laid out to make the most of a confined space. And the builder was still rockin out there in his 60s, and he was fast! I hope he's still out there.
Loved seeing someone pass you just yards apart, and then trying to catch them, until you'd get to the spot where you had passed each other, realizing that the other rider was ten minutes ahead of you. And all the wash crossings, where if you descend into them at full speed, you can almost coast all the way back up. I found the track to be like a huge pump track; meaning if you ride it fast, the little ups and downs help you gain and maintain that speed.
So many good rides out there. Mt Lemon and all it's opportunities! You guys have it good!
Enjoy all the rides.
And keep those great pics coming, so I can ride vicariously through your photos.:cornut:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Awesome pics :thumbsup:

Looks like I'll be making a trip to tucson this or next weekend for sure!! :p

·
Registered
257 Posts
i like the sunset thru the broken wheel pic best. a bit "arty" nice.

and as for "chilly?" we have a minus2 with the wind factor today. England in December BBRRR!!!

·
Plus size jersey model
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ride 2

After being rained out yesterday and missing the Starr Pass ride everyone was ready to get out on the trails today even though the promised high was suppose to only hit 45. We had 11 riders show up for the ride at 50yr trail on the north side of Tucson and the west side of the Catalina Mountains my personal favorite. It was a great turnout with even a few out of towners doing the smart thing and getting the heck of of the Northwest.

The backdrop for today's ride. The west side of Mount Lemmon.
Sky Mountainous landforms Mountain range Highland Mountain

The pack heading down the trail.
Plant community Shrubland Horizon Grassland Ecoregion

Not really designed to hold snow.
Vegetation Plant community Botany Terrestrial plant Biome

Nate having a little fun.
Clothing Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

Watch out that white stuff is cold if you land in it.
Vegetation Natural landscape Plant community Winter Ecoregion

Climbing.
Plant community Trail Outdoor recreation Mountain Adventure

Looking down towards the start.
Vegetation Cloud Plant community Plain Ecoregion

A little scenery shot.
Natural landscape Paint Watercolor paint Art Twig

Yours truly having some bike issues.
Soil Teal Bicycle tire Bicycle Bicycle fork

Some bigguns
Terrestrial plant Wilderness Cactus Thorns, spines, and prickles Saguaro

1 - 20 of 26 Posts