Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between front shifters/derailleurs designed for 8 and 9 speed drivetrains? I know the 8 speed chain is wider and the 9 speed spacing is tighter, does this mean that 9 speed FD cages are narrower? Or 9 speed front shifters move less on each shift?

I'm curious because I can't get my FD adjusted properly, it's always either rubbing, or not shifting into the big ring, no matter how many times I adjust the cable and limit screws. The only explanation I could come up with is that my 8spd chain is too wide and will always rub on my more recently purchased 9spd front derailleur/shifter/cranks combo. Or the more likely explanation, I'm retarded and cant adjust my FD properly! Yes I know I need to update my circa 1999 8 speed setup!

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
It does work. When the 9 speed stuff was first coming out, had the same questions. So asked the shop if I could measure it. They took out the calipers, and no noticible difference in the rear mech, or in the front mech.

I had similar problems with my old 8 speed XT setup. There are some bikes that just due to where the front mech is located, the chainline, the alignment of the planets or dumb luck don't like to shift front gears without scraping and some grinding.

Take a pair of pliers and slightly widen out the front cage. Normally only need a mm or two to make it work.

And the indexed shifting of some gripshift and triggers makes finding the 'happy spot' a bit harder. Using the micro-shifting grip shift or Paul's thumbies gives a bit more flexibility to find a good spot than the single spot with a set of triggers.

Good luck,

JmZ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts