Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi has any one tried a 8.5" X 2.75" shock on a Heckler 07, I have a spare DHX-3 Air or DHX-3 coil and thought about trying it, I'm running a Lyric up front, the shock DHX-5 coil I have is 216mm and the the other shocks are 225mm, just need to get some fixings.
any info or advice would be cool:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
dont do it

I tried that on my heckler (set up with DHX3 and Float 36 RC2) and when you bottom out, the rear wheel comes dangerously close to the seat tube and will, after some really big hits) will rub the seat tube.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry 8.75" X 2.75" on a Heckler

Ok finally think I have the shock sizes 8.75x2.75 , the eye to eye is around 225mm , out of touch with inches, mm in the UK, I've had a busy week :confused: :D

so has any one else tried this set up? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is a interesting question, as I was thinking about it too. I sent e-mail to SC about it but they have not sent me any answer yet (overall they seem not to answer my emails at all). My goal was to steepen head angle (I run Fox Van 36 on my Heckler). I am pretty sure there won't be any colision between rear wheel and seat tube, because the only difference between 8,5 x 2,5 and 8,75 x 2,75 is longer stroke.

BTW, here I found something about 8,75 x 2,75 shock on Heckler:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=400602&highlight=roco

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks

Thanks for the link persing thats really good, looks like it will work, I will try the DHX-3 Air first set the sag up etc, then try the coil next not sure what spring I will need , I have a 400,450 and a 500 so plenty of scope to try ,I run a 400 with the standard DHX-5 coil , so maybe the 450 will be enough to cope with the longer stroke. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I find the Lyric at 160 is quite slack I think 150 is the travel for the Heckler, so maybe the longer shock will even things out just the BB will be higher.:D

Are the mounts 22x8 for the shock fixings ??

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
persing said:
That is a interesting question, as I was thinking about it too. I sent e-mail to SC about it but they have not sent me any answer yet (overall they seem not to answer my emails at all). My goal was to steepen head angle (I run Fox Van 36 on my Heckler). I am pretty sure there won't be any colision between rear wheel and seat tube, because the only difference between 8,5 x 2,5 and 8,75 x 2,75 is longer stroke.

BTW, here I found something about 8,75 x 2,75 shock on Heckler:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=400602&highlight=roco
Persing, I would be surprise if they commented on a question like this. (I usually have my questions answered within 6 hours or a day).

The reason I say they may not answer you on this one is because you're trying to modify the bike beyond what they have designed/marketed for. Because of the state we're in (CA), that puts them at a liability if they say it can be done, and then you or anyone else for that matter suffers a break or serious injury - it may screw them over.

Welcome to California, where no one takes personal responsibility.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are bomarded in the UK , with " where theres a blame theres a claim" adverts, so as you say ne one will commit to any thing.

I will fit my shock over the week end an see how it fits and rides, what travel will it be?

maths was my weak point!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Someone else did it without issue. My bike doesn't really look like another .25" of length will fit without the swingarm hitting the seat tube. I'm really tempted to try it... the only reason I haven't is that my fork is the 07 TALAS with only 150mm of travel so it's balanced now.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi gticlay, I ran a 150mm AM1 Marzocchi fork and it was perfect really balanced, just was to flexy with the QR axle, the 140 Pike is great but I felt the bike needs to be slacker, hence the Lyric but at 160 its just too slack for trails locally, full on DH no problem, I usually wind them in around 145, and its great but the feel is not as good than when they are fully out. Hence the thinking of a longer shock to even things out. I agree there is not much room between the swingarm and the seat tube, will try it and post some piccs for you to see, cheers Jeff

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
just tried to fit my DHX-3 air and it won't go on measured it 9" i to i , my DHX-3 coil is 8.75" but its fitted to my mongoose, I'll take it off tomorrow and try that. luckily the mongoose has 22 x 8 fittings same as the Heckler,

is a 9" a special for mongoose? I took the air off and replaced with the coil,on the mongoose.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Here is the thread and pics by someone who put an 8.75x2.75 shock on their 08 Heckler. It worked for him. I may try this if I go with the 160mm front fork.

I can't tell if it's dirt or paint rubbed away on his seat tube. I think mud/dirt. Here's the link to the thread (obviously I've been thinking about this for a long time!).
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=400602

·
Registered
152 Posts
OhSchitt said:
The reason I say they may not answer you on this one is because you're trying to modify the bike beyond what they have designed/marketed for. Because of the state we're in (CA), that puts them at a liability if they say it can be done, and then you or anyone else for that matter suffers a break or serious injury - it may screw them over.
OK, I get this but this is the secon time I have not received an answer (first time I asked totally different question and it was almost year ago). Maybe I have bad luck:rolleyes: .

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
persing said:
OK, I get this but this is the secon time I have not received an answer (first time I asked totally different question and it was almost year ago). Maybe I have bad luck:rolleyes: .
Maybe, the other possibility is if you do have a legit question, call them up. e.g. when I was buying my Nomad, I had a question concerning the sizing. Told the receptionist that had a question concerning technical aspects of the Nomad and she routed me to the correct person.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

top 3 piccs are with the longer shock bottom one is with original shock,

went for a 20 mile ride, climbs ok feels really high at first BB feels much hiigher, and the forks feel more upright as you'd expect, felt twitchy at first until I got used to it, firts 30mins was climbing on the road pretty boring, but ok,

then 25 min of technical climbing, two things jumped out at me that where different, 1st the grip seemed better and climbing technical stuff seemed better , felt like more grip from the rear tyre, 2nd the extra BB clearance meant I could clear all the rocks and the narrow trail didn't catch me out with pedal bumps, so many spd riders its made to fit them and flats always a tight squeeze, but not so today.

I did another 30 mins through the forest , snow covered trails but still managed a bit of air 2-3' and nailed some down hill bits , the bike flowed really well and the suspension performed well soaking the trail up, I did find it harder to lift the front at first but adjusted to it , just pull up a little harder.

the steering was much faster and tight turns where easier to handle, hit a few tight berms and they felt good n fast considering the snow and ice.

No clearance trouble with the frame or tyre, and the gears shifted fine, didn't use the front shift but I'm sure it would be fine.

Only tricky bit is the stand over is greater which took a bit of getting used to when I stopped, but overall a good feel, will need more time to fully check it out, rum with a 450lb spring where I would normally run 400, I may try it with the 400lb spring.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Just thought that I'd add that the Nomad BB height starts out .5" above that of the Heckler so It is probably about equal with the extra travel (6.49" or 165mm if I cal'd it correctly). You may want to run a little lower spring rate with the longer travel to sag more. The bike will have more 'braking' suspension or travel into holes, etc. Just a thought.

So it seems OK? If so, I'll probably put my Vanilla RC on when I sell the Enduro Frame and the 160 Talas. :)

jeffus said:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.