Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like single speed.

Lately, every geared bike I have or had has chain skip/slip problems. It's like I can't avoid destroying 9spd cassettes and the puny chains that go along with them. I've even got mid-range equipment, and still within a year or so I've worn out.

When I run single speed, all the mashing in the world rarely result in chain slippage. I feel empowered to be able to put the power down and really crank on it...which I'm forced to do with only one gear.

I'd like to somehow combine the long-term reliability of a SS: 7-speed cassette, with wide spacing and thick chain, with the ability to have multiple gears.

Anything out there that isn't outrageously priced that will fit a normal 8/9spd cassette hub?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
7 and 8 speed cassettes have almost the same exact spacing so you can just use a 8 speed that will fit your standard hub (7 speed requires an additional spacer). You will of course need 8 speed shifters as well.

A word of warning though, while the 7/8 speed chains have thicker side plates, the gears themselves are the exact same thickness as 9 speed. So you will get a little extra durability because of the chain...but it won't be a massive improvement.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
PaintPeelinPbody said:
I like single speed.

Lately, every geared bike I have or had has chain skip/slip problems. It's like I can't avoid destroying 9spd cassettes and the puny chains that go along with them. I've even got mid-range equipment, and still within a year or so I've worn out.

When I run single speed, all the mashing in the world rarely result in chain slippage. I feel empowered to be able to put the power down and really crank on it...which I'm forced to do with only one gear.

I'd like to somehow combine the long-term reliability of a SS: 7-speed cassette, with wide spacing and thick chain, with the ability to have multiple gears.

Anything out there that isn't outrageously priced that will fit a normal 8/9spd cassette hub?
I you ride a lot wearing out a chain/cassette in a year is pretty normal. I tend to replace chains a couple of times a year and I rotate among 3-4 bikes.

·
GTaholic
760 Posts
Use steel shimano cogs and chainring along with their best chains does help.

If it doesn´t help, use 2mm thick cogs at rear and use custom machined spacers and thumbshifters to operate the gear changes.
Nearly idiotproof and long wearing.

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would using 2mm thick cogs and building my own cassette work with non-ramped cogs?

I've noticed I've had more chain/cassette wear as the numbers of gears has increased. When I first started riding I rarely broke a chain on my speed cassette, but now on the tighter 9spd cassettes with skinny chains, I'm having more issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.