Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't know specifics but I believe the 7point7 is sub-40 and the 7point3 is around 45 or so. If you haven't already done so, you should read the pinkbike.com review, I think it was on there last month. I recall the reviewer said that the bike (7.7) climbed very well and that it seemed to smoothly climb up any grade of slope, just slower than a dedicated XC bike. About your XC-ability question, I would like to know that myself as I do alot of riding on gravel roads, etc. so lets hope someone can help us out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My medium 7point7 weighed in at 38.1 @ the shop (with reflectors and that "keep the chainout of the spokes" thing)
Knowing the way that particular shop works and the way the scale was hung from a shelf, I really need to weigh it on another scale to verify. :rolleyes:

I've only got one climb on this bike so far- about 4 miles of fire road climbing- not too steep.

Yeah, it climbs "well", BUT its not an XC or trail bike. Slow and steady, just like any other big bike.
It does seem to accelerate well, especially up short, steep, techy single track climbs.

Lighter (and maybe narrower) tires would make it climb much better!

I plan to use this as my "all around" bike, so lighter tires are going on it for trail / xc use, I'll keep the high rollers for DH and Shuttles.

When I get some more miles on this thing I'll try to post some more in- depth comments.
But,so far so good.

The biggest suprise so far is the SRAM trigger shifters- they are really nice and you can shift up and down with your thumb if they are placed properly.
But first I gotta get that shock dialed in!

I'm trying not to sound so excited and cut through the "new bike hype", but I love the bike. It is such an improvement over my '02 Stinky in sooo many ways :D
Half way down El Prieto (somewhat tech, So Cal ST) I realized that I was so comfortable with the thing, It felt like I had been riding it for years!

Jeffrey

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
thanks

solar682 said:
I'm trying not to sound so excited and cut through the "new bike hype", but I love the bike. It is such an improvement over my '02 Stinky in sooo many ways :D
Half way down El Prieto (somewhat tech, So Cal ST) I realized that I was so comfortable with the thing, It felt like I had been riding it for years!

Jeffrey
thanks for the mini review and weigh in. Keep putting those miles on, those of us (me anyway) waiting for framesets are dying for feedback.
One question for ya: have you noticed any slop in the lower shock mount? Apparently, all the 7 Point in stock at the local S'go have it. I didn't notice it during the testride, but if you pick up the seat you can feel it.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
It may have to do with the shock mounts like on the MKIII. The axel which goes through the shock was a mm or so too long.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well , I checked out the lower shock mount and there does not seem to be any play or slop.
I will keep my eye on it and see what happens after a few rides.

I can't wait to get in a serious ride on this thing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have some 2.35 UST highrollers on mine and it climbs MUCH better.
Not that it was bad before, but now it rocks!!

I put on the tires, lighter cranks (Stylo's), a lighter/longer Answer stem, and the XC version of the SDG seat.... That brought the overall weight down to the high 35's or low 36.

A Ti spring and XC rims, and you could get sub 35. And if that is the magic Bigbear weight, I'll do it.
;)

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
soulfly_NYC said:
How much do the 7point 3 and 7point 7 weigh? how do they climb? Can you use one for XC duty?
I weighed a large 7point7 yesterday without the front rotor/bolts and without pedals. The reflectors were on the wheels for what it's worth.

Total weight - 37.1 pounds. I'll weigh the pedals today but they're at least a pound and the rotor is probably just under .5 pound.

I'll post up some more details later on.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
wheels/ cranks

schizzle_dizzle said:
u guys are lucky.
my 7point5 (L) weighs 45#. i just don't get it :confused:
i know our forks aren't much different...maybe a pound.
what's making the big difference?
My breakout plus is 5.8 lbs, and acc'd to RS target weight, the Boxxer Ride is 7.2 lbs.
Also I'd bet those lazerdisc hubs aren't as light as the Hugi's, and the 823's weigh 60g less than the 325's. Also the 823's don't need tubes, if you have dh tubes that could be a couple pounds in itself.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
Mike B. said:
I weighed a large 7point7 yesterday without the front rotor/bolts and without pedals. The reflectors were on the wheels for what it's worth.

Total weight - 37.1 pounds. I'll weigh the pedals today but they're at least a pound and the rotor is probably just under .5 pound.

I'll post up some more details later on.
Okay, I partially stripped the frame because I'll be running different cranks, brakes, saddle, seatpost, wheels, cassette, etc.

So with the large 7.7 frame, Breakout+ and 20mm axle, Sic stem, FSA headset, the boomerang from the DRS, X.0 rear and Saint front derailleurs, 5th Element with 350# spring, bottom bracket, chain, and seatpost clamp, it weighed 19.4 pounds. The rear axle weighs 201g and the stock seat and seatpost are 215g and 268 respectively. I think I'll end up in the 32-33 pound range with my changes but maintain the durability of the original spec.

[spam]anyone want some parts? :D[/spam]

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
haha. That will be the same weight as my MKIII Expert.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.