Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize fo the stupid sounding question but I can get a really good deal on the 7.5. It probably won't last for too long. Should I buy it??? I'm worried about the weight, flatland ability, and the Boxxer (turning radius, feel). I would switch the tires for something way lighter and faster, will it burn up the flats??? Very important. I don't care if you have a 7.3/5/7, please weigh in quickly. Please post pictues as well if you like, that would be great. I need all the info you can possibly give me. Every last detail.

Thanks!
Cam

·
Registered
140 Posts
Harvest72 said:
I apologize fo the stupid sounding question but I can get a really good deal on the 7.5. It probably won't last for too long. Should I buy it??? I'm worried about the weight, flatland ability, and the Boxxer (turning radius, feel). I would switch the tires for something way lighter and faster, will it burn up the flats??? Very important. I don't care if you have a 7.3/5/7, please weigh in quickly. Please post pictues as well if you like, that would be great. I need all the info you can possibly give me. Every last detail.

Thanks!
Cam
BUY THE BIKE ALREADY!!!
if you're gettin a good deal just buy it. you can always sell it.
i'm not sure what your concern is about the flats. with smaller tires you will be just fine.
i just got a stiffer spring for my boxxer and now it feels great. same with the rear.
notice the higher rise bars in my pics. a much needed improvement in my opinion.
the bikes a little dirty after a long day of dirt jumpin yesterday :D
which BTW the bike also performs awesome on.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks schizzle,

My concern with the flats only stems from the fact that alot of time I am riding on gravel roads, or in grass meadows, or even though fields. I am glad to hear that it is a good jumper, I love to jump ramps, dirt jumps, anything really. How is the turning radius of the Boxxer? Is there anything you don't like about the bike?

Thanks,
Cam

·
Registered
140 Posts
Harvest72 said:
Thanks schizzle,

My concern with the flats only stems from the fact that alot of time I am riding on gravel roads, or in grass meadows, or even though fields. I am glad to hear that it is a good jumper, I love to jump ramps, dirt jumps, anything really. How is the turning radius of the Boxxer? Is there anything you don't like about the bike?

Thanks,
Cam
the turning radius really isn't the best but it's ok.
forks like shivers and dorados are way better but for a boxxer it's not too bad.
other than that, i love EVERYTHING about the bike...well, id have a different color if i had a choice.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... well I'd probably get used to it, the Boxxer that is. Yeah the colour isn't the best but it could be alot worse. Red or black would be my personal choice (.3 and .7 damnit!) It's good to hear that you like everything about the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 7point7 is a few pounds lighter than the 7point5. Much of this wieght savings is in the wheel / tire combo.I think the Sherman saves a pound or so.
For your situation you may be happier with the .7, those pounds can make a huge difference.
I have not ridden a .5, so I don't know how much the extra rotatational mass will slow down the bike.
My .7 seems to accelerate really well for a big bike.
(Can't wait to put on lighter tires on it since I climb alot)

The .5 looks like a nice bike, it's not a damn good deal, especially if your're getting hooked up.
You can't ride them?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I can't ride them there are no dealers of IH here in Canada unfortunately. As for the weight difference, the fork is about 1.4 pounds heavier I believe. The rims are each about 80g lighter on the 7point7 or so. If your 7.7 accelerates well w/ those massive tires on it, then the 7.5 should do equally well if not better with faster/lighter tires right? I mean the front tire on the 7points is like 1500g! I would prefer the .7 (obviously) but I would need another Supergo screw-up for that to happen. What do you mean it isn't a good deal?

I was almost set on it, but there are a couple things I am unsure of, including how it looks and the shipping to Canada (taxes/duty, etc.) Of course the functionality of it comes first.

Thanks,
Cam

·
Registered
44 Posts
doh!, I meant its a damn good deal! :p

I think some of the acceleration is due to the lighter wheels and tubeless tires.
I love this bike. I got used to it really quickly.
It's made me a better and safer rider.
Its a joy to ride, I wouldn't expect the 7.5 to be any less enjoyable.
Even with the big tires I'm doing 3 - 5 mile fireroad climbs with about 2500' - 3000' elevation gains.
Yeah, its a little slow, but not fatigue- inducing like my stinky was.
It really fits my idea of one bike for many uses.
Today I climbed a fireroad to a semi techy singletrack decent.
Tomorrow is a 7 mile / 4500' decent DH shuttle- all on the same bike.

·
Registered
140 Posts
sweet!

Harvest72 said:
I think I just may order one tomorrow! Just like schizzle said, I could always sell the bike, but I doubt I'll have to.

Thanks,
Cam
good move.
trust me, as long as you get the right springs for your weight you won't want to sell it.

btw, where you gonna order it from?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd get it from Supergo. Only problem is that they won't switch parts for me, like I don't want the seat and post so maybe I'll sell it on eBay.

Regarding the springs, I weigh probably 180 w/ pack, are the stock springs suited for me? I think that is pretty average but I'm not to sure what weight bracket the stock springs are aimed at.

I'm still trying to get used to the colour...I wish I wasn't so concerned with how a bike looks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
[QUOTE
trust me, as long as you get the right springs for your weight ]

SD,

How much do you weigh and what spring rate are you using on the rear shock?
What air pressure are you running?
How much sag?
what about the air volume adjust?

·
Registered
140 Posts
i weigh about 215lbs.
i just put on a 400# spring on the rear (stock is 350#) and an xtra-stiff up front.
in the rear i run the volume at 50%. i am far from an expert on suspension but it seems to work pretty good. right now i think the sag is about 28-29%.

vulcan, i think the stock springs will work good for you
and don't be too worried about the looks. you'll like the bike so much that it won't matter.
also, i would just give epic cycles a call and see if they can match the price for you (keep in mind the tax you probably won't be paying depending on where you live) Alan is top notch, he really knows how to treat people...828.669.5969

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello,

Congrats on your choice of bike. You say that there aren't any IH dealers in Canada, but this isn't the case. Depending on the deal you are getting from Supergo, you may want ot head into your closest Spot Chek dirtshop . I can't recall the price of the 7point5 at the moment, but it seemed pretty reasonable (plus you will save on border costs). I do remember that the 7point3 is $2999 CAD and the 7point7 is $4799 CAD including shipping.

Anyways, jsut thought I'd let you know that there is another (closer) option out there.

A.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That sounds reasonable

I didn't think that sport chek carried the high end IH bikes. What do you mean by border costs? I know there is shipping and tax (still am unsure whether it will be 7 or 14%) on it but are there more costs involved?

Also, do you guys think that Supergo will have all the appropriate parts on the bikes now? I remember before on the 7.5's people weren't getting their direct-mount stems. And on the .7's some were getting cheaper brakesets.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i don't know anything about shipping costs to canada.
just to clarify the parts issue. the 7point5 does come with a SIC direct mount stem and it's badass. it's just not in 31.8diameter. i doubt the 31.8's will be available on the '05's.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.