Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of negotiating a deal with a guy to swap his 888RC2X for my 66RC2X and according to him the fork has a steering length of 7.5". This has me a tad worried since my current fork has (I believe) a 8.25" steerer tube length.

I'm guessing 7.5" is going to be too short to run my Hussefelt stem, sadly. Figures too, because I just bought the damn thing and now I won't have a use for it.

Can someone tell me what the stack height of the 06 888 upper crown is?
Can someone tell me what the height of the integrated stem is also?
If it's too short, does someone (FSA?) make an internal reducer headset cup?
Anyone know how much a new lower crown/steerer runs for a 888?

It would be going onto a 06 7.3 btw.

Thanks for any info!

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
What is your concern about a direct mount stem? I love my superT with direct mount on my 7point. I wouldn't think of running a standard stem.

-r

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I like a short cockpit and just wonder if the direct mount will be too long. It's a 45mm extension right? My hussefelt is a 40mm length. Not that it REALLY matters, I mean, I'm probably just worried about it because I spent $45 on the stem and don't want to have it sitting in a box collecting dust. Hehe.

I'm more concerned with how high the upper crown is on the new 888 so I can figure out if I need to find a lower profile upper headset cup or if I'll be ok.

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
I see.

the reason I asked is because going to a direct mount will probably make the steerer-length issue moot.

I'm running the E.13 reducer cups on my 7point. Very small stack height for the headset as a result. You are meant to run a FSA internal headset within the e.13 cups.

Also, the direct mount stem will reduce overall handlebar height, which is probably a good thing, depending on your style/preference. 40 or 45mm stem extension isn't a big diff, imho.

good luck and show us some pics after you get it running! I wish I'd had the cash for an 888 or 40 on my 7point.

-r

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still experimenting with my handlebar height to be honest. I haven't done any real steep stuff since switching to a 40mm stem (from the stock 65) so it's hard to tell if the desired outcome was reached (shorter cockpit, easier on steeps).

My one buddy swears by a high cockpit (he's a smaller guy) and he's considerably faster than I am so I'm going with a high (but not really high) setup currently. I know the racer-boys love the low front end but I'm not overly concerned.

We'll see how it works out. My goal with the 888 is to have the slackest 7 possible since my first FR experience on a full suspension frame was a super slack Stinky with a 64 degree head angle and tiny cockpit.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
06 crowns-------- lower + upper
32mm------ 15mm + 17mm

Go-ride upper crowns = 20+or- 2mm. PLUS...The upper will be lots lower with those crowns. I stand by one of my pervious post.... lower is better. I've phased the same way you have thru different stems. Longer and higher. Shorter and higher. Shorter and Shorter. All on the 888.... especially since you are trying to achieve slacker.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Interesting, I'm 6'0 and I have found putting more rings to raise my stem and bars has made all the difference on steeps with this frame. When I had the stem low I felt like I was going to fly over my bars even when hanging my arse over the back. The 7point has a steeper feel to it then I'm used to but raising the bars overcomes this for me. I haven't messed with stem length yet but agree shorter length is probably better for putting your weight further back.

So I'm curious, why do you want to switch the forks out ?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm switching to an 888 because....
- slacker head angle
- I think I prefer the feel of double crown forks over singlecrowns
- I've always wanted a double crown fork (lame I know)

Switching to a shorter stem has made the bike handle far far better than with the longer OEM stem. I don't know if it's because I'm finally riding better or if it's because of the stem, but I haven't been drifting wide on corners and smashing my knuckles into trees lately. I could just be riding better but it does seem to be making a big difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.