Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, I already have a plush trail bike with 5" of travel. I am looking to get a bike that I can move up to larger drops and overall more aggressive riding. The 7Point has really caught my eye, but I wonder if this is more of a hardcore trail bike than freeride?

Also, I am 5' 11", would a 17"(s) or 19"(m) be a better fit? Normally I would ride a 17" (m for most companies).

·
Registered
140 Posts
dras said:
Allright, I already have a plush trail bike with 5" of travel. I am looking to get a bike that I can move up to larger drops and overall more aggressive riding. The 7Point has really caught my eye, but I wonder if this is more of a hardcore trail bike than freeride?

Also, I am 5' 11", would a 17"(s) or 19"(m) be a better fit? Normally I would ride a 17" (m for most companies).
if you already have a trailbike get the SGS. they are sweet ass bikes for freeride. i recently sold an SGS DH and bought a 7point5. i miss my SGS. the 7point is nice and probably a more practical ride for me since i do a lot of pedalling from time to time and only have 1 bike. i feel like the 7point is more of a heavy-duty trailbike.
the SGS feels more stable. it's more laid back and wheelies/manuals way easier.

as for the size. i am 6'-2". my SGS was a 19"(M.) and i like my bikes on the small side.
my 7point5 is a 19"(L.). i thought that since i was going to be riding uphill i should get the longer t.t. but i think i would have prefered the 17".

whatever you decide to do, ride them both first. they are both great bikes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
dras said:
Cool, thx. Unfortunately, it looks as though it isn't available for 05. At least I don't see it on the web site.
nah, but you can probably find an '04 on closeout somewhere for a good deal. or check the classifieds here or ebay. i sold my '04 SGS DH pro in good shape for $1000.

don't get me wrong though. the 7point is a sweet ride and the ideal bike for me with only 1.
but since you already have a trail bike and as long as you can adapt to two completely different feeling bikes (that was my problem), get the SGS.

good luck.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Why not get the 7 point? The 7 point certinly isn' any less capable then the SGS, but you get the benefit of the DW-Link. If the price is no object definatly go for the 7 point.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Vulcan said:
Why not get the 7 point? The 7 point certinly isn' any less capable then the SGS, but you get the benefit of the DW-Link. If the price is no object definatly go for the 7 point.
dude, have you ridden them both?
the 7point is better if you're pedalling uphill but the SGS feels more plush and feels like it has more travel. (i know the freeride version doesn't)
the 7point's geometry feels more like a trailbike so for freeride it seems less capable.

but that's just my take.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
schizzle_dizzle said:
the 7point is better if you're pedalling uphill but the SGS feels more plush and feels like it has more travel. (i know the freeride version doesn't)
the 7point's geometry feels more like a trailbike so for freeride it seems less capable.

but that's just my take.
And that is exactly what I was looking for. My Cannondale Jekyll 1000 can take more than it's share of hard trail riding. I now want to add a burly, and durable, long travel to inspire my confidence in larger drops and overall more aggressive riding with some park riding.

I'll guess I will see if I can find an 04 SGS Pro in great shape.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
schizzle_dizzle said:
dude, have you ridden them both?

but that's just my take.
I have to say that I have ridden the SGS and the 7 POINT back to back, same fork, same setup multiple times, (and also the right size bike for me on both bikes) and I find the 7 POINT to be superior in all areas. Climbing, descending, cornrering, everything honestly. But thats just me. All of the test riders in during the development process of the bike unanimously chose the 7POINT as well.

Maybe your bike is a little long or your shck needs a littl emore tuning? I wouldnt give up on it yet. Make sure that your bars and stem/ every other contact point on your bike is set up for you and you may find that you want to make some changes.

FYI, the 7POINT has a slightly slacker head angle and slightly longer CS length than the SGS.

Dave

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
shizzle, don't forget that you're comparing the SGS DH bike to the 7POINT FR bike. a better comparison would be the SGS DH to the Sunday, and the SGS FR to the 7POINT.

The 7POINT isn't going to descend as well as a full-on DH bike, but will pedal better than either the SGS FR or DH bike, and will go uphill better than the Sunday as well. If you're looking for drops and aggressive riding, the 7POINT will suit you perfectly, and can handle just about everything you can throw at it (if you ask about repeated 15' drops to flat, I'll smack you. :p ). If you're looking for a full-on DH bike, look to the Sunday. hope this helps.

:cool:

·
Registered
140 Posts
_dw said:
I have to say that I have ridden the SGS and the 7 POINT back to back, same fork, same setup multiple times, (and also the right size bike for me on both bikes) and I find the 7 POINT to be superior in all areas. Climbing, descending, cornrering, everything honestly. But thats just me. All of the test riders in during the development process of the bike unanimously chose the 7POINT as well.

Maybe your bike is a little long or your shck needs a littl emore tuning? I wouldnt give up on it yet. Make sure that your bars and stem/ every other contact point on your bike is set up for you and you may find that you want to make some changes.

FYI, the 7POINT has a slightly slacker head angle and slightly longer CS length than the SGS.

Dave
i'm not knocking the bike. i'm just giving my opinion.
everyone has a different idea of the best feeling bike. the 7point feels different than any other bike i have ridden so i'm sure it will take time to adjust. i'm not giving up on it though.
i like the bike. but dude, the SGS is an awesome bike too.

btw, since your suspension is supposed to be setup so differently from any other bike out there and it seems about everyone is clueless on how to do it properly, why not include setup instructions? i know you're working on it but it's not like DW-Link just came out this year.

·
Industry Loudmouth
964 Posts
schizzle_dizzle said:
btw, since your suspension is supposed to be setup so differently from any other bike out there and it seems about everyone is clueless on how to do it properly, why not include setup instructions? i know you're working on it but it's not like DW-Link just came out this year.
Setup instructions are now up on the site:

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/homepage_links/news_events7.shtml

A setup guide will be included with 06 frames.

-ska todd

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't ruled out the 7point. Ska Todd is who gave me some insight on the Vortex which is what brought me here to get more info. The biggest problem I have is the inability to test ride either one. :(

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
You might want to make sure your dealers get this information. I was at my LBS (The Path Bike Shop in Tustin, CA) on Sunday getting sized for a large 7Point7. They did not have the tech bulletin yet. We ended up going off Dave's post. (The spring rates listed in the post seem low.) I believe the bike had a 375# spring on it. I'm 190 before gear. Geared up I was getting 34% percent sag on the 5th Element. (I'll be using the bike for trail riding so we are trying to get closer to 25%.) The Sherman Breakout + was over sprung. DOH! My LBS is working getting the proper springs. Hopefully this Sunday will be the maiden voyage. I'll post a video in the Iron Horse forum if things work out.

ska todd said:
Setup instructions are now up on the site:

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/homepage_links/news_events7.shtml

A setup guide will be included with 06 frames.

-ska todd

·
Industry Loudmouth
964 Posts
Winston said:
You might want to make sure your dealers get this information.
The sales guys are currently out in the field doing shop visits, clinics, and the sort and getting the word out about the bikes and their set-up. It's a bit of a re-education process as there has been a lot of info put out about shock tuning that goes pretty much opposite to how you tune dw-link bikes. We're making a concerted effort to educate the dealers and consumers as we move forward.

-ska todd

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.