Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide what my next bike is going to be: I'm selling my 07 7point3 and getting a more DH oriented bike. Sooo..

given the fact that finding a large IH Sunday is impossible, and that I really like the feel of DW-Link. do you guys think a 2008 would do good as a DH bike with a 888 or fox 40 up front and a rocco WC at the rear? do you think it will eaven compare to a Sunday (whith the upgraded geometry and stuff)

Thanks guys

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
It will definitely work. Motormonkey on here rode his 7point for a long time with a 888.

I rode mine for all sorts of FR and DH last season with a Totem and it was great.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
It was awesome. I ran a Totem 2-step until the travel sinking issue. Then SRAM replaced it for me with a Solo-Air. What a great fork.

The small bump absorption lacks a little bit in my opinion with the Totem Solo-Air. But man, that fork took a bigger beating than I ever expected to throw at it, and it kept on tickin'. Over 8 months I only speed-lubed it once, but when I did it made all sorts of difference.

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
rzarikian said:
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide what my next bike is going to be: I'm selling my 07 7point3 and getting a more DH oriented bike. Sooo..

given the fact that finding a large IH Sunday is impossible, and that I really like the feel of DW-Link. do you guys think a 2008 would do good as a DH bike with a 888 or fox 40 up front and a rocco WC at the rear? do you think it will eaven compare to a Sunday (whith the upgraded geometry and stuff)

Thanks guys
No. My buddy has an 08. The BB height is pretty damn high for a dedicated DH bike, although fine for FR. The updated geometry is a bunch of lies. It would work, but nothing like a Sunday. If you can still get one for $700, then that may be too good of a deal to pass up. Otherwise find a lightly used Sunday.

Also, don't limit your choice to suspension design. Your going to end up making too many compromises, like trying to make the 7 point into a DH bike, which it is clearly not, but would still work as a bike.

This is the geo they list. WRONG! BB is more like 14.3" with a 180mm fork on there. And the HA is not that slack either. Whatever you do, don't buy an 08. Iron Horse was a lousy, dishonest company, and this is proof. Oh, and the head tube lengths and top tube lengths are retarded for a FR bike. Way too long. My buddy's medium 7 point is almost exactly the same size as my large Highline.

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
Prettym1k3 said:
It was awesome. I ran a Totem 2-step until the travel sinking issue. Then SRAM replaced it for me with a Solo-Air. What a great fork.

The small bump absorption lacks a little bit in my opinion with the Totem Solo-Air. But man, that fork took a bigger beating than I ever expected to throw at it, and it kept on tickin'. Over 8 months I only speed-lubed it once, but when I did it made all sorts of difference.
Don't you also weigh like 20 pounds? ;)

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
The BB is a bit higher than a DH bike, but I never felt like it held me back.

Railed the SH!T out of my 7point for 2 and a half years all downhill with a little bit of FR mixed in. If your going to be using it for DH only the angle cups listed above will work wonders. They will bring the HTA to about 65.5 and lower the bb a tad. My Turner DHR BB is almost 15".... doesnt hold me back at all.

Slap a 888RC2X or Boxxer Team on there and you will have a short travel DH ripper.

The only reason I stopped riding the 7point was I got a killer deal on a 6point and then a killer deal on a full on DH rig... That and I trashed the shock hardware eyelets.... More slop than a $15 hooker.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YoPawn said:
No. My buddy has an 08. The BB height is pretty damn high for a dedicated DH bike, although fine for FR. The updated geometry is a bunch of lies. It would work, but nothing like a Sunday. If you can still get one for $700, then that may be too good of a deal to pass up. Otherwise find a lightly used Sunday.

Also, don't limit your choice to suspension design. Your going to end up making too many compromises, like trying to make the 7 point into a DH bike, which it is clearly not, but would still work as a bike.

This is the geo they list. WRONG! BB is more like 14.3" with a 180mm fork on there. And the HA is not that slack either. Whatever you do, don't buy an 08. Iron Horse was a lousy, dishonest company, and this is proof. Oh, and the head tube lengths and top tube lengths are retarded for a FR bike. Way too long. My buddy's medium 7 point is almost exactly the same size as my large Highline.
Have you actually measured a 08 7point? or you're judging more by looks?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I like the new DHR but I would have to wait for 2010 and I wanted a new bike to take to whistler this summer. I you now of any??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep I was actually looking forward to the 2010 glory but I'm don't really like it that much, its like if you took a sunday and smashed it head on into a wall, it looks weird hehehe

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not looking for a DH eacing machine but something that can be easy to pilot through DH tracks and still be good for some jumping and stuff, that's why the sunday isn't really my top top choice since is VERY DH racing oriented (geometry) I like the glory but its very$$$$

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts
Depends on what type of dh you're looking to do. Fast fast fast and rough, the Sunday will be much happier than a 7 Pt. If it's slower techy stuff, the 7 point will be more fun.
Low bb and longer wheelbase makes for a much better race bike.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I prefer speedier trails that the technical slow stuff, the think I dislike the most about my 07 7point is that once it gains speed through some rough stuff then it gets king of uncinfortable to steer and corner since its HA is so steep and the BB is very high. Once you slow down it is very nimble and agile. maybe it too complicated hehehe what would you think if I take one of these to whistler http://www.bicyclefun.com/Giant/Web pages/Giant 2k9/Glory-DH.jpg

I'm actually looking into getting one of these instead of the 7point but I don't know if its too much travel or too much of a DH bike to enjoy jumping. The thing is I'm quite tall and weight 200lb so a longer travel bike makes a lot of difference. I hate gravity, well not entirely hehe

·
Registered
321 Posts
i have a buddy who rides an 07 7point n runs a rocco WC in the back and a 888 WC up front and by seeing him ride, its definitely DH worthy. id say go for it

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
Khemical said:
If you want a DW-link bike why not a Turner?
because a turner frame is about twice the price of a complete 7point

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
saturnine said:
because a turner frame is about twice the price of a complete 7point
I'm with Saturnine.

Used 7point3 = $1,000.

New Turner with full DH build = $6,000+

$5000 for a new fork, shock, and brakes leaves you with $2000 left over to fly yourself and your bike to whistler to put it to the test. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have an 08 7 point that I custom built myself. I put a totem upfront with a cane creek flush reducer and the front end is very low. At first I thought too low, but now that I have ridden it quite a bit I love it. It rips turns insanely fast and I still feel comfortable on the steeps. The bike does have a long top tube but it still manuals reasonibly well because of the short chainstays.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts