Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

7point and Roco

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  :solar: 
#1 ·
I know that the Roco is too new for the market for many riders to have had real riding time on it, but does anyone know how it will work with the 7point frame? I may have the opportunity to pick one up and I'm wondering how this particular shock will work with the dw-link. Will it also need a re-valve for optimal performance? I know that Progreesive does dw-link specific re-tunes and I think that I read that Fox can also do a Sunday/7point tune, but what about Marzocchi? (I'm gonna give them a call about this, too.) Are they "in" on the valving requirements for dw-links? DW or Ska Todd? Sorry for all the question - I just want the necessary info before I pull the trigger and order one and I believe that other riders may also be curious about these questions.

toby

#4 ·
I just got off the phone with Marzocchi. According to their fit list, the ROCO R will fit a 7point5 frame (and all other 05' frames I'm assuming - 9.0" x 2.75"). I'm don't know (nor did Marz's tech) why an RC wouldn't fit or what the difference was. Rebound/Compression adjustments vs. just Rebound, or maybe a name change. Seems like these frames shouldn't have any clearance issues with a standard piggyback shock (piggyback up or piggyback down). And that was just fitment. We still need to find out how the shock will perform with the dw-link. Either way, I was told that the shock would not be available until mid-Jan. I guess we'll have to wait until then to figure this all out.

toby

#5 ·
in the trees said:
I just got off the phone with Marzocchi. According to their fit list, the ROCO R will fit a 7point5 frame (and all other 05' frames I'm assuming - 9.0" x 2.75"). I'm don't know (nor did Marz's tech) why an RC wouldn't fit or what the difference was. Rebound/Compression adjustments vs. just Rebound, or maybe a name change. Seems like these frames shouldn't have any clearance issues with a standard piggyback shock (piggyback up or piggyback down). And that was just fitment. We still need to find out how the shock will perform with the dw-link. Either way, I was told that the shock would not be available until mid-Jan. I guess we'll have to wait until then to figure this all out.

toby
Toby,
Just get the shock and be the test monkey. Several folks over here would really appreciate it.
What could go wrong? :p

Seriously though, DW made a brief comment about this a couple of months ago. DId you find this?
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=135363
"The 9X2.75 Rocco could be awesome as long as they tune out some low speed
compression that other suspension systems need to pedal well."

Also, that guy Noel from Knolly BIkes wrote a little review about it on his bike over on the DH forum. Yeah, its a totally different bike, but there may be some clues in his post.

#7 ·
An update . . . FYI, I just spoke with Marzocchi yesterday, and the Roco RC in the size required for the 7points (9x2.75) is in stock. And it also appears as an "in stock" item over on BTI's website. Anyone tried one yet? I know that they are very new but maybe someone has made the commitment already. I'm still thinking about getting one, but it won't be until next month if I decide to go thru with it. Let me know any feedback.

toby

#8 ·
I don't believe the Roco is a 'platform' shock, nor is it 'progressive'. At least that's what I got from some of those other threads. The DW link shouldn't really need either of those though because it doesn't rely on a platform for anti-bob, and I believe the linkage is fairly progressive. I got the progressive part from running linkage2 on a pic, but the pic wasn't the best quality...

Small bump sensitivity ought to be really good with the Roco as long a the low speed compression can be backed way down. BTW, I put a Romic on a friends bike while his 5th Element was sent in for repairs. He said the bike "felt real good, but didn't have that stiff, hardtail like feeling coming out of corners." I'm sure he was feeling the lack of that hard 5th Element platform.

#9 ·
It looks so good on paper dosen't it? I'm really tempted to put one on the 7POINT7, but not so much that I would drop the cabbage w/ out knowing for sure.

I am a little worried about the fitment of the ROCO in this frame. About 3 weeks ago I spoke to Todd about this and he wasn't sure if it would slide right in (hee hee) or if modifications (filling, drilling, etc) had to be made. It sounded like the IH boys are just as curious as we, and were waiting to try one out. Maybe they will have some info soon.

On a somewhat related note, anyone catch the ROCO ad (w. Cedric) in the new issue of MBA or any other mag?
I guess "ROCO" is an acronym afterall- look what it says under the photo of Cedric on his bike!!! :eek: :p :p

#10 ·
:solar: said:
It looks so good on paper dosen't it? I'm really tempted to put one on the 7POINT7, but not so much that I would drop the cabbage w/ out knowing for sure.

I am a little worried about the fitment of the ROCO in this frame. About 3 weeks ago I spoke to Todd about this and he wasn't sure if it would slide right in (hee hee) or if modifications (filling, drilling, etc) had to be made. It sounded like the IH boys are just as curious as we, and were waiting to try one out. Maybe they will have some info soon.

On a somewhat related note, anyone catch the ROCO ad (w. Cedric) in the new issue of MBA or any other mag?
I guess "ROCO" is an acronym afterall- look what it says under the photo of Cedric on his bike!!! :eek: :p :p
We tried to fit one up to an 06 Sunday and had to file the head down slightly for it to fit in the upper shuttle. There might be a similar clearance worry on the 7POINT but I dunno yet b/c we haven't rcvd a 9x2.75" from em to try out.

The ROCO name is fitting for Cedric...the original name for the ROCO was Shocker..."two in the kitty, one in the litter."

-ska todd

#11 · (Edited)
ska todd said:
The ROCO name is fitting for Cedric...the original name for the ROCO was Shocker..."two in the kitty, one in the litter."-ska todd
Those guys at marzocchi are such pervs...

I love it! ;)
(I actually thought the name ROCO had something to do with a certain "actor" with a similar name- well, actually I guess it does!)

SkaTodd, please let us know what happens with the 7POINT fitment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.