Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
What width are you running right now? Wider bars effectively pull your shoulders forward more, so they're usually paired with a shorter stem to get your body in about the same place.

Regardless, for downhill (or anything mtb, really, with current design paradigms) 90mm is very long.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What width are you running right now? Wider bars effectively pull your shoulders forward more, so they're usually paired with a shorter stem to get your body in about the same place.

Regardless, for downhill (or anything mtb, really, with current design paradigms) 90mm is very long.
Not entirely sure what width is on right now, i've bought a 780mm handlebar, thinkin i may buy a new stem or re-use the stem i've currently got (i measured it properly to around 85mm length)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which bike? Hardtails have different geos Too, depending on the make and manufacturer.

A 17" frame sounds too small for a person your height.
17 i'm pretty sure is medium size, while not ideal, it's perfectly ride-able (L / XL used frame / bikes are very very hard to find in australia, hence i'm stuck to medium frames)

I've currently got a junk apollo hardtail, gonna do a Specialized Hardrock build though, as i bought a Used 17" hard-tail black frame, so,

780mm handlebar, specialized hardtail frame, 6 ft 3, what would be your recommended stem size?

·
Registered
781 Posts
17 i'm pretty sure is medium size, while not ideal, it's perfectly ride-able,

I've currently got a junk apollo hardtail, gonna do a Specialized Hardrock build though, as i bought a Used 17" hard-tail black frame, so,

780mm handlebar, specialized hardtail frame, 6 ft 3, what would be your recommended stem size?
It may be rideable, but it's definitely not perfectly rideable. 17 is way too small for you, unless you want to ride it like a bmx or dj bike. Especially if it's an older bike. I'm 6' and a current 19" or old 20.5" are the right sizes for me.

Also, a Hardrock is not going to ever be a "downhill" bike, as that word is used in mountain biking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may be rideable, but it's definitely not perfectly rideable. 17 is way too small for you, unless you want to ride it like a bmx or dj bike. Especially if it's an older bike. I'm 6' and a current 19" or old 20.5" are the right sizes for me.
The lower size of the bike makes it feel more sporty if that makes sense lmao.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The lower size of the bike makes it feel more sporty if that makes sense lmao.
Sure, like a bmx or dj. The trade-off is it will be less efficient to pedal around, and to make it less cramped you'll have to make changes that penalize downhill confidence. But the bike you ride is the best bike, so if you're happy on it I'm happy for you. (y)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure, like a bmx or dj. The trade-off is it will be less efficient to pedal around, and to make it less cramped you'll have to make changes that penalize downhill confidence. But the bike you ride is the best bike, so if you're happy on it I'm happy for you. (y)
If i was doing serious mountain trails, i'd be hitting up a L / XL bike, i mostly do green / blue trails though, and never had a problem with confidence, but i agree, it's not perfect, but hey, nothing ever is.

·
Registered
781 Posts
In the op you asked about this in regards to a "downhill setup". Downhill has a very specific meaning in mtb, for about the steepest, most aggressive, difficult type of riding. If you just want to make your 2 sizes too small bike fit your arms that's a different question that would have received different responses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the op you asked about this in regards to a "downhill setup". Downhill has a very specific meaning in mtb, for about the steepest, most aggressive, difficult type of riding. If you just want to make your 2 sizes too small bike fit your arms that's a different question that would have received different responses.
Downhill meaning, down, hills, as in no rear suspension, more downhill suited bike,

That's what i mean.

·
Registered
781 Posts
That is not what downhill means in mountain biking. Downhill bikes are dual suspension, with 180-20mm of travel front and rear, dual crown forks, extremely aggressive geometry and the heaviest duty parts made throughout to take an absolute beating. Google "downhill bike" and see what pops up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is not what downhill means in mountain biking. Downhill bikes are dual suspension, with 180-20mm of travel front and rear, dual crown forks, extremely aggressive geometry and the heaviest duty parts made throughout to take an absolute beating. Google "downhill bike" and see what pops up.
Gettin off-topic here, thanks for that info, but again, back to original subject, on a 780mm handlebar, being 6ft3 & on a medium size frame, do you think i should go with a shorter stem or longer stem? or stick with my current 85mm stem?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Size the stem to get the reach that you are comfortable with, and size the bar width to get the width that you are comfortable with. Since you are riding a bike that is small for you, I wouldn't go shorter shorter in the stem at all.

Though not in vogue for modern bikes, I'd consider going longer in the stem just to get a decent fit on a small bike at your size.. Or just stick with what you already have for more of a dirt jumper fit. I'm using a 110mm stem on an 18" bike at 5'10"/1.78, and since I'm riding a vintage bike, that wasn't considered long back then. I have no issues going downhill. You won't either, since you say you don't lack any confidence on downhills, and you are riding normal blue/green trails that would suit a Hardrock.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Honestly on a 17" frame for a 6'3" guy, a 90mm stem is too short. That doesn't mean this setup is a good idea. Perhaps even wider bars to take up more reach. Slide the saddle rails back.

Think about your next move to get an XL-sized frame.

further reading:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Size the stem to get the reach that you are comfortable with, and size the bar width to get the width that you are comfortable with. Since you are riding a bike that is small for you, I wouldn't go shorter shorter in the stem at all.

Though not in vogue for modern bikes, I'd consider going longer in the stem just to get a decent fit on a small bike at your size.. Or just stick with what you already have for more of a dirt jumper fit. I'm using a 110mm stem on an 18" bike at 5'10"/1.78, and since I'm riding a vintage bike, that wasn't considered long back then. I have no issues going downhill. You won't either, since you say you don't lack any confidence on downhills, and you are riding normal blue/green trails that would suit a Hardrock.
I'll look into getting a 110+ stem later on, will test out the 85mm stem anyhow to see how it feels, thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.