Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a 72pt.King rear hub for the last season or so. I have a chance to buy a real nice AM wheelset built on DT Swiss 240 hubs 18pt. Has anyone gone from a high engagement hub to a low ? I know plenty who say engagement pt's isn't an issue for them but have they experienced a CK, Hadley, I9 etc ? I did a short ride on a Shimano Deore 18pt. hub, a month ago, and it felt like lag city, not sure if it was the low engagement or the hub itself. Thanx

·
wants a taco
498 Posts
ive owed both the kings and 240's and even though both are very nice hubs Its hard to go back to slow engagement. My singlespeed has a shimano knock off and I keep thinking something is wrong when it takes so long to pick up.

With that being said if your trails are not very rocky/technical you wouldnt notice it as much. I also dont notice slow engagement at all on a dh bike so it really depends on riding style.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
That will be a huge difference. I use Chris Kings (have owned Hadleys and Hopes) and have ridden bikes with 240s. While the hubs are light, the low engagement was unpleasantly evident in the technical sections and in ratcheting situations. They even felt odd just pedaling, coasting, and pedaling again. I'm sure I could get used to it eventually but I don't need to. The 240s probably have the lowest engagement of any hub I know of. The Shimanos and Hopes are higher.

Where weight is of utmost importance, they are a good choice. I'd still take Hopes or Shimanos for their higher engagement. That's just me though. Some don't really care but if you like CKs and Hadleys for their engagement, you may be unpleasantly surprised as well.

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nubcake said:
ive owed both the kings and 240's and even though both are very nice hubs Its hard to go back to slow engagement. My singlespeed has a shimano knock off and I keep thinking something is wrong when it takes so long to pick up.

With that being said if your trails are not very rocky/technical you wouldnt notice it as much. I also dont notice slow engagement at all on a dh bike so it really depends on riding style.
Not too much technical climbs but I notice slow engagement on trails where I coast then have to jump on it repeatedly - lags instead of jumps on low engagement hubs.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Don't Do It!

I know that I've been on Kings and Hadleys for about 10 years and recently tried the new DW Turners, great bikes but they were built with WTB hubs and they felt,,,, Broken or worn out, I had the same experience riding my freinds wifes Ellsworth epiphany, a great bike in it's own right but the American classic hubs felt similar to the WTBs. The slow engagement felt like my Kings when I went 4 times the reccomended service interval and the grease was dirty and sticky. If the $$$ is the issue buy the Hadley Hubs, They cost $100 less and seem to roll faster than my 2 sets of Kings.

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My current wheelset weighs in the 2250g range (King hub has Stainless carrier / Fun bolts) The DT Swiss set weighs about 1800g. Looking @ the set based on weight but the 18pt. engagement kept giving me second thoughts. 1 lb. worth losing 54 pt's ???

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
I have the same hubs- two sets with funbolts and stainless steel body. What rims are you using? Maybe rebuild your wheelset with lighter rims? I have 29er Arch and Flow rims with the heavy-duty CK rear with Funbolts. The DT hubs themselves are not 400+ grams lighter so it is the full wheelset but that would be a huge downgrade in hub engagement and quality.

You could have a good wheelbuilder rebuild your wheels and drop easy weight. That is what I did with both sets of Kings even though I was getting some great prices on new hubs at the time.

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
A high engagement hub does not make my lap times faster but it sure gets rid of that "slap" I feel with low engagement hubs when I start pedaling from a coast and I am making up all that empty non-engagement range and finally hit the teeth. It depends on your riding style and if you pay attention to things like that but don't be surprised if you keep mounting your king set over the DT Swiss.

·
wants a taco
498 Posts
without a doubt I would just re-lace your kings with new rims. Unless your doing some pretty crazy stuff I would recomend the stans Flows. I have the arches and have run them through some pretty nasty xc without them even flinching.

You would drop alot of weight, keep quick engagement and if you get brave enough, learn to build wheels in the process (strongly recomended)

What rims are you running currently?

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nubcake said:
without a doubt I would just re-lace your kings with new rims. Unless your doing some pretty crazy stuff I would recomend the stans Flows. I have the arches and have run them through some pretty nasty xc without them even flinching.

You would drop alot of weight, keep quick engagement and if you get brave enough, learn to build wheels in the process (strongly recomended)

Running WTB Wilderness Trail rims spec. is 500g per rim, my buddy weiged his rims and they were just about that. I have owned a few wheelsets that on paper should have been about 1900g but tipped the scales over 2000g (tried a different scale as well). I really shouldn't care about total weight vs. rotational weight but... It is the off season.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I couldn't go back. I put a king on my AM/XC bike to try and ended up installing them on everything. Can't stand the slap while shifting. I really wanted a set of Easton Havoc's, but didn't want to deal with the engagement.

·
wants a taco
498 Posts
yea its really sounding like the stans flow rims would be plenty strong enough. They claim 470g per rim and are usually very accurate. They also make switching to tubeless pretty easy so you can drop even more weight there. Ive had alot of really good luck with my lighter stans arch.

The king hub itself is very close to the weight of the 240's so you wouldnt gain much there.

For spokes any double butted spoke should work well but I have personally had really good luck with dt revolutions and the wheelsmith double butted 2.0 - 1.7's. Both have been ridden pretty hard with no issues what so ever. I also recomend alloy nipples, some say they do not hold up well but ive have never broken one even on wheelsets that have seen years of hard use.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
nubcake said:

love the flows +1

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I guess it depends on where you ride...

keen said:
I have been on a 72pt.King rear hub for the last season or so. I have a chance to buy a real nice AM wheelset built on DT Swiss 240 hubs 18pt. Has anyone gone from a high engagement hub to a low ? I know plenty who say engagement pt's isn't an issue for them but have they experienced a CK, Hadley, I9 etc ? I did a short ride on a Shimano Deore 18pt. hub, a month ago, and it felt like lag city, not sure if it was the low engagement or the hub itself. Thanx
.. and what you ride.

I ran a 24 point engagement Hope XC hub for years. Great hub. I recently built up a 29er hardtail, and found a cheapo set of Sunrace Juju hubs on craigslist. They only had 16 point engagement. I ride a lot of low speed techy stuff, where balance is what it is all about. I sometimes ratchet through some uphill roots or rocks. The 16 point hub, slowed down that much more by the bigger wheels, in granny gear, rock crawling through anything that took finesse was driving me batshiz. In my lowest 20*34 gear, it felt like the cranks would turn around 1/4 turn before the pawls caught. I think that hub lasted about 3 rides before I de-laced it.

I replaced it with a 30 point Real rear hub (and am now crossing my fingers for reliability, which this hub is not known for). I only have one 20 mile ride on it, and that was a non-techy kinda ride, so I really can't comment on nearly doubling the engagement, but so far it feels good.

I would think if you did mostly medium speed or non-techy stuff, you probably would not be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Stainless

I wanted a stainless carrier when Sram had the old bolted together cassets, changed my mind after buying Hadleys with the ti carrier for $100 less and had no more marring. Then Sram came out with the one piece carrier and even the Kings with the aluminum carrier is holding up well. My Hadleys with Bonty Maveric rims, aloy nips and db spokes weighed in at around 1800g. Now that the Sram Spider isn't killing my King alloy carrier I need to drop the Ryno Light XL, 4 cross, strait gauge and brass build for alloy db on 385 stan rims now that I don't do drops anymore.
keen said:
My current wheelset weighs in the 2250g range (King hub has Stainless carrier / Fun bolts) The DT Swiss set weighs about 1800g. Looking @ the set based on weight but the 18pt. engagement kept giving me second thoughts. 1 lb. worth losing 54 pt's ???

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
I have Kings on several bikes, DT240s on one. I feel some difference after riding one vs the other, but nothing earthshaking, you can easily get used to anything. OTOH having the ability to get instant response in some types of technical riding is better. Sounds like your King hub could be lightened, but why not just have two wheelsets, one a bit more xc oriented?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.