Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that really does look like him! Actually there is a criminal in that picture. I think its the second guy from the left, he was living in Crested Butte for many years with a fake name as the feds were trying to find him for cocaine smuggling I think. I will try and find the link to the article. Its kind of a cool story.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
wooglin-at-home said:
70s MTBs? You can't be serious. You really want to see my touring bike? :D
Hey, that looks a little like mine!

I'm not sure when I first heard of a mountain bike (must have been the late '80s), but I rode my Schwinn Varsity on the trails around my house in Virginia throughout the late '70s and and early '80s - I lost interest in biking during college where I discovered beer and women.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
Actually there is a criminal in that picture. I think its the second guy from the left, he was living in Crested Butte for many years with a fake name as the feds were trying to find him for cocaine smuggling I think.
Actually those bikes are pre mtn. bikes known as "Ballooners" or "Klunkers".

Roger Bannister aka "Murdoch" 2nd from the left in the picture and MBHOF inductee and on the run cocaine smuggler that hid out in the Butte for over 20 yrs before he left town and ultimately got arrested in Taos, where he was originally caught with the coke and jumped bail. He started the first shop in CB, "Everything Bicycles", and for someone on the run lived a fairly high profile lifestyle here as a visible member of a small community. He was finally busted because he applied for a credit card using someone from PA's social and the guy got upset about it and got the authorities involved.

He, along with many of the original CB Klunker riders did not stay involved with biking much past the early 80's however. He escaped town on a sweet Ritchey though!

He currently is in some prison somewhere and apt to stay there for awhile. After it all came out in the open several women that were little girls in the pre-school that Roger helped out with in the 70's came forward and had less than flattering things to say about him and the little games he liked to play with them....So the "Free Murdoch" campaign that was going on here kind of lost steam.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
laffeaux said:
Hey, that looks a little like mine!

I'm not sure when I first heard of a mountain bike (must have been the late '80s), but I rode my Schwinn Varsity on the trails around my house in Virginia throughout the late '70s and and early '80s - I lost interest in biking during college where I discovered beer and women.
My point exactly. In 1975 I was riding that bike (a 69 Raleigh Super Course btw) around on logging roads and actual single track behind my high school. Because that's where I wanted to go and that's the bike I had to get there.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Murdoch was on America's Most Wanted I think

He, along with many of the original CB Klunker riders did not stay involved with biking much past the early 80's however. He escaped town on a sweet Ritchey though!

I remember this guy made it onto America's Most Wanted. I have no idea why I was watching it but they showed a picture of this guy with a series 1 Breezer (one of the very first ten Breezers made that had the cross bar running from the headtube to the dropout for strength). That alone made it memorable. I kept thinking that some lucky sap would end up with a hell of a bike for $10 at a police auction down the line.

·
Keep Singlespeeding Evil
241 Posts
Picture taken in 1992 - Joe Breeze at a bike show in Germany on Charles Kelly's Breezer (it is #2).
He is in his original Repack Outfit - I still can't believe he brought that along - but that is how Joe is ...

phaty

Attachments

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
Hollywood said:
another. Marin?
Is it just me, or is everyone standing around, waiting for the guy on the far left to try and straighten his seatpost, by hanging onto the bars, with his body behind, pushing it forward? Cool pic, just an interesting dynamic going on, he seems to be sort of a focal point. :D Cool pics by the way, all around!

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Bigwheel said:
Actually those bikes are pre mtn. bikes known as "Ballooners" or "Klunkers".

Roger Bannister aka "Murdoch" 2nd from the left in the picture and MBHOF inductee and on the run cocaine smuggler that hid out in the Butte for over 20 yrs before he left town and ultimately got arrested in Taos, where he was originally caught with the coke and jumped bail. He started the first shop in CB, "Everything Bicycles", and for someone on the run lived a fairly high profile lifestyle here as a visible member of a small community. He was finally busted because he applied for a credit card using someone from PA's social and the guy got upset about it and got the authorities involved.

He currently is in some prison somewhere and apt to stay there for awhile. After it all came out in the open several women that were little girls in the pre-school that Roger helped out with in the 70's came forward and had less than flattering things to say about him and the little games he liked to play with them....So the "Free Murdoch" campaign that was going on here kind of lost steam.
hmmm, talk about coincidences, the Bannister story was on a repeat of Cold Case on A&E just this morning, and there was something new at the end of the segment, a caption that stated that Roger Bannister was released on Parole in 2007.

·
Registered
612 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Is it just me, or is everyone standing around, waiting for the guy on the far left to try and straighten his seatpost, by hanging onto the bars, with his body behind, pushing it forward? Cool pic, just an interesting dynamic going on, he seems to be sort of a focal point. :D Cool pics by the way, all around!
He's probably demonstrating the proper technique for 'rhoid buffing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.