Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
That's a Shimano disc brake... I used to own an NOS Shimano OilLite full hydraulic rear disc brake, the caliper was similar to that cable version and the rotor was identical. I traded it to Thorsten for a Magura Clara disc brake.

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
10-12 years ago we bought close to 300 of those old Shimano disc brakes still in the original master cartons of 50. We've built them into all kinds of wheels over the years. They actually work surprising well with a good quality brake lever and lined cable housing.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Interesting

How do they mount to the frame? Are there any special tabs needed? Maybe I could throw one on a klunker build? Jeff, what is the rear spacing? Do they stop any better than a drum brake?

frog

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
1973 Schwinn Lemon Peeler with rear disc brake (available on '72 and '73 Krate series bikes), picture scanned from Liz Fried's excellent 1997 book entitled simply "Schwinn Stingray". Photo by Jeff Hackett.

Apologies for non-mtb content.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,997 Posts
The rarity of those "Krate" frames is due in part to the fact that they had that drum brake on the front. In the '70s you could get the bikes cheap at a garage sale, throw away everything but the front hub, drill eight more holes and build your klunker front wheel.

I don't know that I ever saw the disc brake version. Was that a limited production?

The reason the Krate bikes went out of production was because the CPSC didn't care much for the shifter between the rider's legs.

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
The discs were an option (unfortunately an expensive and unpopular one - $130 was a fortune to pay for a kid's bike in 1972) for just 2 years out of the 5 year original production run on Krates ('68-'73), after that, as CK points out, Ralph Nader and the CPSC put their fears for the fertility of male American youth into legislation and the Stik-Shift bikes were no more.

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
mechagouki said:
Ralph Nader and the CPSC put their fears for the fertility of male American youth into legislation and the Stik-Shift bikes were no more.
All I have to say to that is natural selection.

By the way, those frames were also used pretty heavily in the early days of BMX before the purpose built frames started coming out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.