Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
What kind of bike is it? 70mm is a small amount of travel. If you are looking to replace it because you are worried about the terrain you are riding in there are some issues. The geometry of the bike will be messed up if you go too big. Most of the all-mountain bikes which are popular now have 120-140mm. You can't use that fork and expect the same bike fit and function. So you will want to get a 80mm fork. But these are usually for race bikes and can be more expensive due to weight reduction materials.

What I'm saying is, it might not be worth placing a $600 fork on a $400 bike. So which bike do you have?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm guessing this is your first MTB? Here's the deal. The more you ride the more you will understand what I'm about to tell you. You won't like to hear it at this point.

There is a certain price point where a bike is able to be upgraded. Below that point, the cost of parts outweighs the total cost of the bike. This level bike is not at that point. A new fork that will make any difference will cost half as much as this bike if not more. So this is what I suggest. This bike is fine the way it is for what you currently ride. As you get better, you will exceed this bike's abilities. So you will be better then the bike can handle. At that point moutain biking in general will be worth more to you. Then you can buy a bike that will suit your new needs. One that costs more, and is upgradeable.

Right now you would probably not spend $1000 on a bike. But one or two years from now, biking may be more important to you, since you like more, and you are better at it. Then it doesn't seem so bad when you drop a large amount of cash.

FYI the price point for an upgradeable hardtail is around $600-$800 depending on the company.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah that's the bike I want in the future, thx.

But what do you think of that fork? It doesn't seem to be THAT much better than mine. I mean I just don't get how 30mm could make that much of a diff to someone who weighs like 160. All I really care about is the fork. So if you say 70mm is KIND of close to a 100mm, I'll call it a day.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The dart is a lower end fork, however it has certain inside bits that the suntour does not. Plus the fork is only one piece of the puzzle that makes this bike work for you. For example, if in the furture you want a better rear derailliuer, like a SLX or even an XT, it won't work well with the shifters you currently have. But it will work with what is on this bike. The same with the crankset and BB, and the brakes and levers.

When I first started my bike had parts similar to what is now the Deore line. Not super great, but good enough. I still have that bike. It's all XTR now and still rides awesome.

·
I like bacon... (clyde)
351 Posts
acefrehley said:
But what do you think of that fork? It doesn't seem to be THAT much better than mine. I mean I just don't get how 30mm could make that much of a diff to someone who weighs like 160. All I really care about is the fork. So if you say 70mm is KIND of close to a 100mm, I'll call it a day.
It really is a big difference. You are looking at 40% more travel. What's more important is the axle-to-crown measurement.

I agree with the person that said you need to buy "more bike" if you are looking to upgrade. Ride the piss out of this one while learning until it starts to limit you, then buy something better. If it is brand new, and you know you want more travel, return it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
before I get corrected

I wanted to correct myself before anyone steps in. I noticed the 1000 has sram parts, so i should have said x7, x9, or x0 instead of slx or xt. Whatever, you get the point. I'll shutup now.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.