Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me decide if I should get the 705, the 800, or something totally different. My riding is both mtb and road. Race both. I know I want mapping, as I am often in areas I don't know and I tend to 'zone out' and get lost in the spin. In old areas, not a big deal. But with my traveling, there have been enough "where am I and how do I get home?" instances that I am ready to upgrade.

For Road, I use cadence. For MTB, I'm not so concerned about cadence. I do use HRM. Recording rides would be nice, esp for later comparisons b/n rides. No power yet.

I do want to be able to quickly and easily change between bikes.

If the active mapping were not such a priority for me, the 500 would be perfect. Price seems pretty equal. is there a difference (besides the touchscreen) that is significant? What recommendations do you have?

Thanks

David

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just got the Edge 800 this week and I am extremely satisfied with all of the features. It does everything you said you are looking for. I have no experience with to 705, but I can assure you you will not be let down by the 800. I have the Topo US maps loaded on it and use it for mountain biking. I really like that the touch screen works even with my glove on my hands. It comes with two stem mounts and I have one on my SS and the other on my full suspension.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Natehawks comments in this thread (shown below) have me wondering if I need to look at the 705. Won't be going to power for quite some time.

NateHawk said:
1sec recording makes a big difference when you're moving fast on twisty trails. I occasionally use auto on my Oregon 450 and then remember why I prefer 1sec recording on the bike (but then kick myself when I forget to change it for something slow like hiking or canoeing and the GPS doesn't capture my whole track).

stupid move on Garmin's part

one reason why I prefer my Oregon on the mtb.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
I have both

I have both and the 800 is much better and easier to use. You can't use 1 second recording for long rides on the 705 anyway. The 800 records at least twice as many data points as the 705 in regular smart recording mode on the same ride. The altitude on the 705 is definitely not as accurate as the 800. Custom maps on the 800 are a real plus too. Once you use the touchscreen on the 800 it is difficult to tolerate that "eraser" button on the 705.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,357 Posts
Wherewolf said:
I have both and the 800 is much better and easier to use. You can't use 1 second recording for long rides on the 705 anyway. The 800 records at least twice as many data points as the 705 in regular smart recording mode on the same ride. The altitude on the 705 is definitely not as accurate as the 800. Custom maps on the 800 are a real plus too. Once you use the touchscreen on the 800 it is difficult to tolerate that "eraser" button on the 705.
Yes, 1sec recording can only be used on shorter rides or you'll fill your track memory. That's why I switch my Oregon back and forth for different activities. My local trails are all mostly pretty short, so my rides tend to be just a couple hours tops. 1sec works great for that. Go much longer and you'll be pushing your track limit.

I absolutely cannot tolerate the stupid joystick button anymore, either, after going touchscreen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Garmin 800 question?

I just got an 800 for my birthday and am a little worried how this unit will hold up to wet conditions? I do both road and trail riding in some not so great weather. Is there anything I should consider buying to protect this unit?

Thanks again!!! :thumbsup:

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
twistiesplease said:
I just got an 800 for my birthday and am a little worried how this unit will hold up to wet conditions? I do both road and trail riding in some not so great weather. Is there anything I should consider buying to protect this unit?

Thanks again!!! :thumbsup:
No need.

From the Garmin specs:
Water resistant: yes (IPX7)

Google search for ipx ratings.

IPX-0-0 No special protection
IPX-1 Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes. Unit is placed in its normal operating position.
IPX-2 Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees - Same as IPX-1 but unit is tested in 4 fixed positions - tilted 15 degrees in each direction from normal operating position.
IPX-3 Protected against spraying water - Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.
IPX-4 Protected against splashing water - Same as IPX-3 but water is sprayed at all angles.
IPX-5 Protected against water jets - Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
IPX-6 Protected against heavy seas - Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
IPX-7 Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.
IPX-8 Protected against water submersion - The equipment is suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.
I have ridden in the wet and rain with my 705 that has same IPX7 spec. It has been accidentally dropped in the water, washed with TechNu and rinsed in a sink, and immersed a couple times in a rock strewn stream when I crashed, once totally immersed in rapid moving water for 20 minutes while I got the bleeding stopped before I took the bike out of the creek. Take care with the USB cover when you open and close it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I currently own a 605 which is very similar to the 705, but I am considering a 800, I also am slightly considering just going with a oregon 550. I love the oregon my son has and I like that the oregon has a camera, that would be great on rides. The downsides for me would be that the oregon is much bulkier than the 800 would be, and I like how my 605 resets the track easy, and has the auto start and stop, but I could live without that. The other thing I do not like about the 605, and from what Garmin has told me, the 800 also. is the fact that I have to use the training software to download my tracks, then transfer them to Mapsourse. With the oregon I could do everything straight on the mapsource.
Comments?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.