Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That it doesn't have general odometer that will track how many miles i ride a month / year without having to press the start button. I know the unit had an odometer setting for each bike profile, but it only changes when you record an activity... which i dont want to do everytime i ride my bike....

So is there a way to record how many miles i bike (everytime i bike) and not just when i want to record an activity?

For example, I dont want to record my 6 miles there and back commute to work everyday, but thats an extra 30miles a week the bike and i see which I would like registered on an overall mile number.... u know so i can say ... this month i rode 200miles...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Doesn't bother me at all to press Start...Stop....reset, to record my totals. Recording this information tells the unit you want to keep it for the overall total. Some people don't want every ride included in their totals and is the reason Garmin did it this way. Think about it, would you really want a ride to your mail box included in your training ride total?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Maybe Garmin can change this with a software fix in the future. But the 705 isn't designed to be like a car odometer, it is a training GPS device. For what you want you could probably get a less expensive basic bike speedometer.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
weird. the selling point from garmin about that issue was .... well you dont want every miles register because if you go to sell the bike someone will look and the miles could be outrageous while many of them have been easy miles, and not trail or race miles. Uhm... last i check the parts were still being worn out, maybe not as fast but a mile is a mile. BOO

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Too many gotchas with the {almost} pepetual odometer feature.

If I place the bike on a car rack I'd have to make sure the Edge is off lest I record highway mileage at 70mph. So now we need a software feature that lets you delete a ride and optionally delete the accumulated miles.

With the street map chip I can use the Edge for car navigation. Oops I have to turn off the odometer but have power on. And I have to turn the odometer back on when I really ride the bike. Sounds like start/stop to me.

The odometer on/off switch is needed for the purist MTBer who wants to record dirt miles only, not mailbox runs. 'The existing start/stop button is good enough for everyone and just as convenient.

Then there's a battery problem. The 705 would have to be powered up and have acquired satellites before you could pick up the mail. :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pacman said:

If I place the bike on a car rack I'd have to make sure the Edge is off lest I record highway mileage at 70mph. So now we need a software feature that lets you delete a ride and optionally delete the accumulated miles.

With the street map chip I can use the Edge for car navigation. Oops I have to turn off the odometer but have power on. And I have to turn the odometer back on when I really ride the bike. Sounds like start/stop to me.

The odometer on/off switch is needed for the purist MTBer who wants to record dirt miles only, not mailbox runs. 'The existing start/stop button is good enough for everyone and just as convenient.

Then there's a battery problem. The 705 would have to be powered up and have acquired satellites before you could pick up the mail. :D

1) who leaved any computer / gps attached to their handle bars while dirving their bike somewhere, seems like a sure way to lose it.

2) the odometer should be per bike profile, when your are driving you should not have a bike profile activated, or have another profile for car, if its in car mode, it should know not to record the trip to a "bike" profile.

3) a total odometer, is just that. TOTAL odometer. If you want to specifically record dirt, then u record the activity, and if u add them all up there is your total dirt mileage

4) no, it could use the magnet to record odometer, and yea obviously the unit would have to be powered on to record anything......

·
Registered
590 Posts
Since bicycles don't come hard wired to odometers total mileage means nothing on them, it never has. This is only important on internal combustion drive vehicles. The reason is they have internal mechanics that you can't see from the outside. Wear and tear can easily be seen on a bike.

Look you won't be happy with a 705, so don't get one. Get yourself a wired $30 bike speedometer. The 705 gives information that you don't need. I love it and use it all the time. I could care less about total mileage on my bike.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry if that sounded rude or so ething. I have a 705 and am pretty much obsessed with it. I'm stuc k in bed with a broken leg. The 705 is amazing and makes my site possible. Just learning how everything on the unit works and just making note of any little thing I fine d annoying.

Iphone keypad sorry if the above makes no sense...

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
pacman said:

You make some good points. People are different, and while having to push an extra button to have the GPS record is a major annoyance to me, it can be a good feature to others, as you describe.

It would be nice to have an option on the Edge units to set it to "always record", then you could use it more like a cyclometer (i.e. have it function like all other Garmin GPS units). Then everyone is happy -- if you like having to push "start", you could leave it set that way.

To me it's always better to have more data, not less. When you have more than what you need it's easy to cut and delete afterwards. When you get home and a chunk of your ride is gone, it's just gone.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well we can all agree that the 705 isn't perfect ...

Maybe you can help me figure out why I get some random drops in my data when looking through a pc based program. The data and numbers add up, the graphs just don't. I can'T figure out how to paste an address to my garmin connect activity. When I'm at a real computer I will post it...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would like a overall distance total also

I was confused the first time using the unit and I rode about 2 miles and noticed the distance said 0.0ft

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
PimpinD said:
when the graphs load notice the flat line from about 1:30 to 2:46... im assuming thats when the autopause kicked in? as i was waiting for 1hr 15mins to ride the dirt trail (last 10miles)...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1484271
Just a software graphing error. If I use the Player the data looks normal, i.e. none of the null slopes.

Now WTF is the download for the GPX?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Just get motivated

MemphisR32 said:
I would like a overall distance total also

I was confused the first time using the unit and I rode about 2 miles and noticed the distance said 0.0ft
I had no problem with using start/stop to accumulate over 10,000 miles of MTB per year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.